• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Gym Types and Structure Speculation Thread

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
That ring from the demo seems like it could fit way more than 8 badges inside. Is it possible there won't be an Elite Four and instead a bunch of extra gyms? Perhaps even in the same city (the northern one with all the landmarks)?

Or maybe the gyms make up the outer layer, the Elite Four make up an inner layer, and then the champion could make up the middle.

D*N

Musical Star
But there's already a champion in Galar which means Leon beat the 8th gym so there can't just not be one until the player is old enough to be a trainer.
One got closed down and it works. It's basically just like how you couldn't do the Viridian gym but this time the gym just completely moves.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Though it can be a bit rough given the big battery of types that Steel is resistant to. The saving grace is Ground and Fighting are reasonably common types for early-game Pokémon.

That's what will make it so awesome.

A super tough gym early on, gives you one hell of start in your journey. I haven't had a tough early fight since Lenora, and that didn't nearly compare to Whitney.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
One got closed down and it works. It's basically just like how you couldn't do the Viridian gym but this time the gym just completely moves.

But we didn't know about a champion then. There was just Lance and he was one of the four.

Although a Steel Gym would resist most of the common early-game types (Normal, Flying, Bug), it's actually fairly balanced as far as the starters are concerned:

- resists Grass moves ; inflicts neutral damage
- weak to Fire moves ; STAB is resisted
- neutral against Water moves ; STAB is resisted

Certainly less lopsided than all the Rock-type 1st Gyms, anyway. (Granted, any secondary types would alter this).

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I'm sorry I'm lost hahaha, what does knowing a champion has to do with this?

Because in Kanto, no one had battled the 8th gym in a while considering Lance had been the final test for a long time. In Galar, we have a current champion which means he challenged the 8th gym rather recently. Not to mention that him being undefeated means that he was also recently challenged by trainers who beat all 8 gyms and the elite four.

Leonhart

Imagineer
crystalphoenix88 said:
Although a Steel Gym would resist most of the common early-game types (Normal, Flying, Bug), it's actually fairly balanced as far as the starters are concerned

I suppose that I wouldn't mind a Steel-type Gym being one of the earlier Gyms in the games. It's not a type that I would normally consider as being appropriate for beginner trainers to face, but for all we know there might be plenty of available Fire-types by that point for people to use against the Steel-type Gym.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I suppose that I wouldn't mind a Steel-type Gym being one of the earlier Gyms in the games. It's not a type that I would normally consider as being appropriate for beginner trainers to face, but for all we know there might be plenty of available Fire-types by that point for people to use against the Steel-type Gym.
I believe Kalos was a missed opportunity as they could've made Drasna the 1st Gym (her attitude would also work) to have a Dragon-type Gym which on one hand will be a challenge for all 3 starter and on the other would be a great way to promote the newly introduced fairy types.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I believe Kalos was a missed opportunity as they could've made Drasna the 1st Gym (her attitude would also work) to have a Dragon-type Gym which on one hand will be a challenge for all 3 starter and on the other would be a great way to promote the newly introduced fairy types.
Considering the Pokemon that are available before the first Gym in Kalos, that would be unreasonably difficult, so no wonder they decided not to do it.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Considering the Pokemon that are available before the first Gym in Kalos, that would be unreasonably difficult, so no wonder they decided not to do it.

What was the problem of making Ralts, Flabebe and Marill (who is available prior Viola's gym) obtainable earlier?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
What was the problem of making Ralts, Flabebe and Marill (who is available prior Viola's gym) obtainable earlier?
Pokemon fans tend to not like it if they are forced to use certain Pokemon in order to beat a gym. Hence why the first Gym was better off being Bug, which has more counters in the early game than Dragon does.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Pokemon fans tend to not like it if they are forced to use certain Pokemon in order to beat a gym. Hence why the first Gym was better off being Bug, which has more counters in the early game than Dragon does.

What choices besides Fennekin, Fletching, Pidgey and Pikachu they had?
Not to mention most people critisized X/Y for being too easy...

Also making the initial Gym challenging as long as you have a choice is ok. It's like in Black/White where you can but not have to use the gift Elemental monkey as opposed to being forces to have a Grass or Water Pokemon in Let's Go. I just believe it would be a nice choice to promote the new type which was immune to one of the strongest types in the game. Not to mention how refreshing it would be to have Dragon as first Gym.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
It would be even worse because most Dragons learn Dragon Rage at low levels, which would be devastating in the early game.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
It would be even worse because most Dragons learn Dragon Rage at low levels, which would be devastating in the early game.
Not against a Fairy type...
And I don't see a Team of Goomy, Noibat and Tyrunt (or just the first 2) as devastating... In USUM had Noivent at round 3 which I think was prior to the initial Trial.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Not against a Fairy type...
And I don't see a Team of Goomy, Noibat and Tyrunt (or just the first 2) as devastating... In USUM had Noivent at round 3 which I think was prior to the initial Trial.
That's the problem. People would be forced to use Fairy-types just to get through the first gym. I don't think that people would like that.