• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Gym Types and Structure Speculation Thread

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I've mentioned this on a different thread but I believe that the gyms aren't limited to just the stadiums. I've noticed a few battlefields as well. So, to ease up the speculation, I made this:

W1v18YL.png

1 - Normal. It all seems basic. Or Flying since it's a pretty basic type too.
2 - Fire/Steel. Makes sense in a steampunk city.
3 - Grass. This one's confirmed.
4 - Water. Being located in a port city and the blue symbol on the front.
5 - Dragon. Dragon Tower of sorts. And it's on a medieval city.
6 - Ground/Rock. Surrounded by rough terrain and the symbol is brown. There's that Dugtrio relief too.
7 - Fairy/Poison. For some reason, the symbol has two colors: pink and purple. First dual-type gym?
8 - Ice/Steel. Ice because from what I've noticed, the gyms seem to follow the theme of the cities. There's snow. But the symbol is gray, so maybe Steel?
9 - I think this is the tutorial section, much like the school section in SM.
10 - League. Soccer--I mean Pokemon League.

What do you all think? As for Elite Four and Champion...
Fighting/Electric/Bug/Psychic, then Multi-type for the Champ.

I noticed there are some Japanese letters on the door of the grass gym. Does anybody know what they say?

Those are fictional alphabet. You can see it all over the region. They did that with previous games too I believe.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
In terms of the stadiums, I can only count either five or six. This means that either there are less than 8 gyms, some of the gyms are located in other buildings, or the stadiums are for something else entirely.

Runelore

I'm in agreement with your post Wulava. Images 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 all contain the circular type symbol on the stadium/gym. The final stadium (10) also has it's own champions symbol. Image 2, I believe the symbol is just obscured on the map because the general outline of a stadium can be seen within this city.

+1 on your guesses on typing too, sounds accurate.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I've mentioned this on a different thread but I believe that the gyms aren't limited to just the stadiums. I've noticed a few battlefields as well. So, to ease up the speculation, I made this:

W1v18YL.png

6 - Ground/Rock. Surrounded by rough terrain and the symbol is brown. There's that Dugtrio relief too.
7 - Fairy/Poison. For some reason, the symbol has two colors: pink and purple. First dual-type gym?
8 - Ice/Steel. Ice because from what I've noticed, the gyms seem to follow the theme of the cities. There's snow. But the symbol is gray, so maybe Steel?

Those are fictional alphabet. You can see it all over the region. They did that with previous games too I believe.
Thank you so much for those HD zoomed-in screenshots.
I pretty much agree with everything here, it seems on par with what I theorized. Totally didn't catch that literal golden Dragon head on top of that tower in black castle city...
The only thing I think would be wrong here is #8: that Gym color is too dark to be Steel and definitely not Ice in my opinion. I truly think this might be our first Dark gym.
For #2, i'd say it's a toss up: probably either Steel for the metal/mechanical look of the city, or Fire for the steam/coal industry that seems to run it. I'd be happier with the former, since having Water-Grass-Fire gyms/trials has been overdone lately.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
HOLY @#%^! THE BRICK INDUSTRIAL CITY IS A GIANT GYM!

You guys seem to already know. Saw the Gamexplain analysis and the fact that they showed proof of this blew my mind.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist

W1v18YL.png

I think 1 and 9 will be Pokémon schools of some sort, and I think the elite four will be within the huge city at the top where 10 is located, being the last gym. Maybe at the top of the tower and the victory road is up the tower?

For gyms: 2 can be dark as city type Pokémon, 3 is grass, 4 can be water or maybe steel as a nod to olivine with the lighthouse, 5 will be dragon, 6 will be ground, 7 will be bug or poison, 8 will be ice or psychic, and 10 will be fairy as it looks like a rose, or normal due to the symbol. Or maybe the last badge isn’t a type?. Elite four typings are too hard to speculate based on this.

Last edited:

KKS-Lapras

I agree with what several other people have said. The coloring of the gym in the snowy town/village seems dark in color, darker then would generally be expected for an Ice type gym. Assuming we've actually identified all of the "gyms", that one does seem like the best shot to be a Dark type gym. If Game Freak finally gives us a Dark type gym, foowah..., 6 generations after the type was introduced, long time coming, and I never understood the wait, there were plenty of opportunities to do it in the past.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Based on the trailer, there was that one fight in one stadium which was Lucario vs Tyranitar and that maybe was a gym battle. And since Tyranitar is part Dark type, we may have our first Dark type gym, most likely that tower in that one city before the snowy mountains.

Grey Wind

W1v18YL.png

I don't know, I'd find it odd if some of the gyms were giant stadiums and some of them were just tiny battlefields. I think they're changing the gyms this time around - there's definitely something up with the whole soccer stadium thing, and the fact that the gym logo appears within the Japanese logos makes me think they'll be a huge focus of the region. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were only six, with the red building (Wembley?) being the league.

In terms of types, I think the first one (in "Manchester") is definitely Fire. Steel would suit but I think they'd consider it too difficult for the first gym. Grass, Water, and Ground/Rock are all obvious. I could see the mushroom city being any of Poison, Ghost or Fairy but I lean towards the latter. And tbh I think the gym in the icy area could be Dark, just because of the black theme. Also I want a Dark gym and the late-game Ice gym has been so overdone.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

W1v18YL.png

I'm pretty certain we've seen the interior of #1 in the trailer. It screams more of a (LINK: Pokémon Laboratory) for me; the oval-shaped botanic garden can be seen in the exterior, also being a part of the interior.

Part of me wants to have a more public-accessible league like the anime as portrayed here in #10, but I'd be much more interested to have a Victory Road that is a Castle Dungeon like the one in the center of map, and battle for the Championship title spectated by the royalty.

As for my Elite Four predictions;
I'll be brief. My favorite Elite Four members recently are the ones who have specific typings assigned based on their professions: Golfer Kahili (Flying), Chef Siebold (Water). I can see a charming athlete focused on Electric; captivating his fandom with zapping moves now that stadiums are the case.

While it's hard to make a reasonable choice for now, I wouldn't mind if Electric is accompanied by Poison, Fighting and Dark.

I'm totally OK to swap Dark with Psychic or Fire due to the amount of representatives being high.

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I'm pretty certain we've seen the interior of #1 in the trailer. It screams more of a (LINK: Pokémon Laboratory) for me; the oval-shaped botanic garden can be seen in the exterior, also being a part of the interior.
I think this interior is more likely to belong to the other purple house in the starting village, with a more prominent botanic garden and a Pokéball-shaped window out front. It's also closer to the protagonist's house and considering there is already a confirmed trainer on route to that isolated purple house, I truly doubt you will have to venture there to get your starter first.

This isolated house might be another professor's house or the first gym. It's more rustic than the other big gyms spread around the region, but it is most likely a test that would let the protagonist leave the town and explore the rest of the world.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.

Not confirmed, I still say that symbol looks more like a feather (and yes I admit the green color seems an odd match all things considered).

So until GF lists it as a Grass gym it's not confirmed, it's assumed.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Did anyone notice when you walk in the stadium you have a blue/red glove on right hand? Apart from being dressed differently and having that blue/red sign aswell that sign appearing on the gyms. I wonder why? Maybe that's the new gimmick. With that glove you control defense/offense of the Pokemon.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Did anyone notice when you walk in the stadium you have a blue/red glove on right hand? Apart from being dressed differently and having that blue/red sign aswell that sign appearing on the gyms. I wonder why? Maybe that's the new gimmick. With that glove you control defense/offense of the Pokemon.
I think that will be broken. It's not happening.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.

That.... Actually reminds me of an old idea.

Remember during the Sinnoh arc of the anime were Ash would have his Pokemon sometimes use a move in a offensive way or a defensive way?

What if that's a new battle mechanic. And in the sports stadiums it could really come into strategizing.

Like you select an attack and then choose to use it on the foe or yourself, different moves may have both offensive actions and defensive. Reducing damage, or outright negating it depending on your opponents attack type. Perhaps dealing recoil damage in the process in some cases. It could also allow for move combos too, like use ember on your Scorbunny, and the following turn use Quick Attack and you get a fire powered Quick attack.

The glove though porb isn't needed, it's just part of the sport uniform.

KKS-Lapras

That.... Actually reminds me of an old idea.

Remember during the Sinnoh arc of the anime were Ash would have his Pokemon sometimes use a move in a offensive way or a defensive way?

What if that's a new battle mechanic. And in the sports stadiums it could really come into strategizing.

Like you select an attack and then choose to use it on the foe or yourself, different moves may have both offensive actions and defensive. Reducing damage, or outright negating it depending on your opponents attack type. Perhaps dealing recoil damage in the process in some cases. It could also allow for move combos too, like use ember on your Scorbunny, and the following turn use Quick Attack and you get a fire powered Quick attack.

I don't think this will be the new mechanic introduced in Gen 8, but, being honest, I wish it was something this simple. It was a neat thing done in the Anime in Gen 4, both Ash and Dawn combining attacks for a duel attack effect of some kind.

DSDark

Breeder

W1v18YL.png

Now I think that the gym in the woods will be the long awaited dark gym. The forest shown in the trailer gives a creepy look and that screams dark to me.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

W1v18YL.png

So Gameexplain gave a very interesting theory about the "final gym", the red flower-like building Number 10. What if it had no type and instead had a variety of different Pokemon types like Blue (Rival) from HGSS which would explain Tyranitar?

Nodame

Misty <3
I hope #7 is a Fairy stadium!

I am just so excited for the stadiums. I hope the Grass field inside the stadium (like in soccer) is not a fixed thing we'll see in all stadiums. I'd really like to see something different in each stadium that resembles its type.

Maybe what we saw in the trailer is the Grass stadium and that's why we see the soccer grass field? maybe the gym/stadium leader is a soccer player lol. MANY possibilities....

If we are not doing puzzles like normal Gyms, than what?

Example of water stadium I would like to see. (ignore the tennis)
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/201..._served_up_plans_for_a-a-11_1430406689809.jpg

Last edited: