• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Gym Types and Structure Speculation Thread

Dicklaycia

Objectively Better Than You
If there are so many Gym Leaders, they may do a tournament featuring all of them competing as the “Elite Four” battles leading up to the Champion match in the finale.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I really hope we still have E4.... its a concept I really like

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
It doesn’t make sense to say that there are 18 gyms and not actually develop them at all. But maybe I shouldn’t be surprised since Game Freak sure likes to cut corners these days... I still hope version exclusive characters like Bea/Allister show up in the opposite versions as cameos or something.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
So if there aren’t actually 18 challengeable gyms and you’ll only face leaders of the Major League, then... What’s up with the Minor League?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
So if there aren’t actually 18 challengeable gyms and you’ll only face leaders of the Major League, then... What’s up with the Minor League?
Probably the Minor League Gym Leaders can't even be challenged at all and they're just there to enhance the lore. I think that their types are Normal, Fire, Dark, Flying, Psychic, Rock, and Ground.

Last edited:

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I don’t mind not being able to battle all of them. Probably will be able to, just in the postgame and it wouldn’t be a big deal anyways.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Probably the Minor League Gym Leaders can't even be challenged at all and they're just there to enhance the lore. I think that their types are Normal, Fire, Dark, Flying, Psychic, Rock, and Ground.
That seems like a... Weird thing to have as lore, though.

Maybe we’ll get to see their building, at least...?

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!

I'd hope that's not the case. Maybe we can't fight them for badges or anything, but it wouldn't be hard for GF to make it so that we can fight them as regular Trainers, right?

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
To be fair Gameinformer didn't mistranslated anything, it's just that the information provided (to them and then to us) was misleading. The information, however, was accurate: Galar has 18 gyms, divided among minor and major leagues, and which gym is in each league will vary depending on the version.
The information itself never said we would battle more than the regular amount of gyms. Serebii.net even commented on that when they put the information up and many people here on the forums were arguing if 18 gyms would actually mean battling more (or all) gyms.

I usually defend Gamefreak, but I blame them for this. The problem is not that Gameinformer did a wrong translation, they conveyed the information exactly as it was, the problem is the information given to them wasn't clear. The minimum of foresight should have told GF this information would lead to wrong conclusions and needed more clarity.

Anyways, as much of a bummer as going back to fighting (seemingly) 8 gyms after being hyped to possibly fighting 18, I still think the whole league structure is pretty dope and at least the 18 gym leaders do exist (if not as bosses, at least as characters). My take on this whole thing is:

- There is an anual competition between the 18 Gyms to define which will make to the Major League that year (I don't think it was confirmed it is a competition, but I assume it is);
- The Gym Challenge is made by the Gyms that qualified to be part of the Major League that year. Those are the ones that you actually fight in the game so you can take part on the Champion Cup. I assume the Major League is composed of 8 Gyms as usual. The 10 Gyms that didn't qualified compose the Minor League and will not be fought in the game.
- I am guessing the "third games" will actually take place one year after SwSh. Since it is a different year, the composition of the Major/Minor Leagues will probably change a lot. This way, between all the versions that will form Gen 8 (SwSh/Gun/Sword2/Giga Shield/whatever) we'll actually end up fighting all the 18 Gym leaders... except only 8 per game instead of what we expected.

I think that's cool still. At least waaaay more exciting than the regular Gym structure we had in the previous regions. Also, keep in mind that just because all the gyms can't be fought in a game, it doesn't keep them from appearing as NPCs (like Mina in S&M) or an enemy in a different situation (like the YuGiOh reject dragon trainer also in S&M) - so for those curious to meet them, we might actually end up seeing a lot of them regardless of how few we can fight.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I don't mind fighting all of them, but I just hope they all make an appearance in the games. When the news of 18 gyms came up, what excited me was less the possibility of fighting many gyms and more the idea of a region having this elite group of trainers that has a representative for every existing type.
Those elite groups are the kind of shonen tropes that always work with me.

But yes, I hope at least 2 or 3 from the Minor League will challenge you after you become champion (assuming that will be possible in Galar).

After reading the news on Serebii, I was not to impressed with this. The hopes of having 18 gyms and for it to be a lengthy game has been shattered because of a silly mistranslation from GameInformer and the incompetence from Game Freak for not noticing the news sooner. They got us excited all for nothing.

yefluke

Dizzy Trainer
well... i didn't think people seriously take this 18 gyms to be really really actual 18 gyms long.
..as they also mentioned about 'major league' and 'minor league'. They mentioned it. didn't they?

However, we probably can encounter the minor league gym leaders across the story and battle them like Ryuki / Faba / Dexio/ Sina back in USUM.

May be i am the minority here that freaking hate the lengthly Gold & Silver and HGGS era that have 16 gyms...
The level design is so bad... everything is so boring after johto league and it is repetitive with beating low level Pokemon.

I confess that i never beat these games. :(