• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Gym Types and Structure Speculation Thread

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Now I think that the gym in the woods will be the long awaited dark gym. The forest shown in the trailer gives a creepy look and that screams dark to me.

But the forest on the trailer may also be the one directly south of the player's house.

Grey Wind

It could be one or the other
I think the forest from the trailer is definitely the one in the south, you can even see the fog on the map. The one up north looks way more magical and mushroomy.

If we are not doing puzzles like normal Gyms, than what?
I'm thinking a bracket style tournament, maybe with a theme to go along with the gym leader's specialty (eg offense, status effects). It'd be three or four battle before facing the gym leader, which is about what we would've had with gyms and trials anyway before this.

shadowF

My guesses are:

1.Fire-for the punkstuck setting of the city
2.Grass-confirmed
3.Water-near the port
4.Ground-because of the Dugtrio shrine
5.Fairy-near the gingerbread looking houses and mushroom looking trees
6.Dark-near the icy area and because the symbol look more like Dark type than Ice Type
7.Dragon-it is in the Dragon city
8. Mixed-it has the Pokemon Stadium symbol instead so I think this one is where anything goes so Mixed.

These are my guesses, Poison is my distant second for number 5 and Ice for number six but I truly believe it will be Fire,Grass,Water,Ground, Fairy, Dark, Dragon and Mixed. Maybe not in this particular order but you get the idea, but that means the Elite four will be very interesting and creative with the types they take on.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
My guesses are:

1.Fire-for the punkstuck setting of the city
2.Grass-confirmed
3.Water-near the port
4.Ground-because of the Dugtrio shrine
5.Fairy-near the gingerbread looking houses and mushroom looking trees
6.Dark-near the icy area and because the symbol look more like Dark type than Ice Type
7.Dragon-it is in the Dragon city
8. Mixed-it has the Pokemon Stadium symbol instead so I think this one is where anything goes so Mixed.

These are my guesses, Poison is my distant second for number 5 and Ice for number six but I truly believe it will be Fire,Grass,Water,Ground, Fairy, Dark, Dragon and Mixed. Maybe not int his particular order but you get the idea, but that means the Elite four will be very interesting and creative with the types they take on.
I don't think that there will be a mixed gym.

iggy the skorupi

These are my thoughts on the gym situation for this generation. This also has minor plot speculation.

You and your rival both want to be pros at this stadium, sport based gym battling. You are both from a small village, but your rival is more well off being the relative of the regions professor. This is why you see a battle field outside that large building next to your house. The journey begins by going to a gym for amateurs, which is the small, isolated purple building north of the first town. Winning there gets you an invite to the pro circuit, which are the larger stadiums that can be seen on the map with interior fields.

So the first gym would be normal type.
The second gym is in the big industrial city with the Big Ben like clock tower, likely electric.
The third gym is the grass type, where you also learn of the larger plot story.
The forth gym takes you across the map to the water type gym.
Then you travel north to the second major city, but you aren’t qualified to face them yet, much like how Viridian city was the 2nd city but last gym.
You are then instructed to head west to the fifth ground gym.
This is followed by a quick stop to the sixth fairy gym.
Plot interventives with the gym battles.
You then travel to the snowy area and battle in the seventh dark type gym.
Which leads you back to the eight and final dragon type gym.
After finally winning all eight, you get an invitation to a major “World Cup” tournament, where you fight an elite four like situation in the fancy London like city, where you meet your rival in the “finals”.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
After finally winning all eight, you get an invitation to a major “World Cup” tournament, where you fight an elite four like situation in the fancy London like city, where you meet your rival in the “finals”.

No please, thank you. I'm almost positive no one would like yet another stereotypical rival to meet for the Championship title, as if Blue, Hau and Trace weren't enough.

HappyHawlucha

So Gyms are confirmed to be returning in Sword and Shield, but I think they're gonna mix it up a bit, they realised the gym formula was getting a bit stale with Sun and Moon and introduced trials but now they're adding some originality into the gym system with this new Football aesthetic. Here's how I want it to work:

Each Gym has a type and takes place in a stadium, as shown by the map of Galar, but is surrounded by fans watching you take on the gym challenge. These fans can influence your battles by providing cheer bonuses to your or your opponents Pokemon by performing well, for example if you use a flashy move the fans cheer for your Pokemon.
Each Gym battle, both the gym trainers and leader, revolves around a points system, where it's basically a race between you and the opponent to reach the point goal, where different goals during the battle award points, for example, the first gym leader battle against the grass leader requires 15 points to win, 1 point is awarded for a super effective attack, 2 points are awarded for knocking out one of the leader's Pokemon, and 3 points are awarded for raising one of your stats 3 times(?). Of course the gym leaders' teams will be designed to effectively beat you to this goal to beat you, making each match less about knocking out Pokemon and more about how you battle, sort of like contest battles in the anime.
You could even link the crowd's input to the points system, have the crowd root for the gym leader if 3 points are needed for you to beat them, so it makes your job a bit harder, or they cheer for you allowing you to make a comeback.

As for the gyms themselves I hope that some of the gyms can be taken on in any order, for example we take on the Steampunk City Gym first, then have the choice to go west to face the Grass gym or east to face the water gym. In my ideal world the order would be this.
1 - Steampunk City
2 & 3 - Water & Grass Gyms
4 - Dragon City Gym
5 & 6 & 7 - Ground/Rock & Fairy/Poison & Ice/Dark Gyms
8 - Multi Type in London City.

Danhilt

Interesting rumors

53619755_2294999300758536_5735397008072507392_o.jpg

About the marks on the map:
>1 these areas are completely explorable
>the larger area ( also 1) doesn't open up until the player has 6+ badges
>cities marked 2 and 3 are the final 2 gyms
>story revolves around house shield and house sword which are based in these 2 cities
>the leaders of each house are the final 2 gym leaders
>4 is the first major city that the PC gets to, via train, skipping most of the map
>you work back down through the map to the main open area throughout the course of the game
>elite 4 is in this city too, elite 4 play a major role in the main story, as do all of the gym leaders
>promo Galar map is deceptive, this is a huge pair of games
>5 is safari zone, which uses LGPLGE catch mechanics and encounters
>6 is additional post game region with all artifacts removed from promo map
>stars indicate gym locations
>7 is the long man of wilmington concept, which is sadly NOT explorable

Story explanation
>gym leaders are all either aligned with house sword or house shield
>first 6 gyms can be completed in any order
>final 2 gyms, sword last for shield version and vice versa
>story revolves around house shield or house sword wanting control of Galar Region
>strong north versus south theme
>house shield and house sword both consider themselves following the path of their patron legendary pokemon
>fairly predictable defense and offense concepts for house sword and house shield and their 'grunts' and personas
>elite 4 essentially help the PC unite Galar throughout the story
>large amounts of post game in main city

shadowF

I don't think that there will be a mixed gym.

The final arena has the Pokemon stadium symbol and noting else which is why I suggested Mixed Gym. We have had a Mixed Type gym before with Heartgold and SoulSilver and Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, so it is not impossible. The only other thing that I guess it could be would be the Gen 8 gimmick which could be the theme of the gym, so perhaps Armor evolution gym (if those rumors are true) or any other gen 8 gimmick.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
The final arena has the Pokemon stadium symbol and noting else which is why I suggested Mixed Gym. We have had a Mixed Type gym before with Heartgold and SoulSilver and Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, so it is not impossible. The only other thing that I guess it could be would be the Gen 8 gimmick which could be the theme of the gym, so perhaps Armor evolution gym (if those rumors are true) or any other gen 8 gimmick.
The Mixed Gym in Johto only happened because the Gym Leader was Blue, the rival in Gen 1.

Creyk

They don't really do mixed gyms anymore...

shadowF

What do you guys think the 8th gym is then?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
The red stadium has a generic logo unlike all the others, so for me it's definitely either a mixed gym or the league.
The tower could be eighth gym, while the red stadium could be the league. I don't see anywhere else the league could be.

Creyk

They like to break tradition these days though, so I wouldn't say it's completely unlikely ;).

That is true. For me the big question is, where is the league? If you look at the map it really is not obvious.