• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Gym Types and Structure Speculation Thread

IcySealeo

Why? Why Gym Masters? Can't they just do the same thing they've done for the first 20 years or so?

KKS-Lapras

I know this is unlikely, especially with what was just revealed with Gym Masters, but what if their was something that acted as a second tier challenge to gain entry to the Elite 4, to add to the challenge level. Beat 8 gyms - Tier 1 challenge. Elite 4 and Champion - Tier 3 challenge. Something between the two. If Gyms still focus on primarily onindividual types, maybe such a Tier 2 challenge could focus on stats? Or maybe a League like in the Anime. I don't know, I always felt the one thing the Anime did well that the games had lacking, was a League, all trainers with 8+ badges won in a given year
face off til there is one victor, and that victor is invited to face the Elite 4. From there, defeating all 4 Elite members gained access to the regional Champion. In the game there's no in between event to determine who can challenge the Elite 4, where as in the Anime, the Elite 4 are made to feel like a tougher challenge to aspire to.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I'm guessing their basically just high-level Gym Leaders which would explain the high-level Pokemon that you or the Gym Master used. I wonder if this will be anything like the Trial Captains where you battle their high-level Pokemon late in the game, only it's during much of the game.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Why cant they bring back the old gym+elite 4 system? Gish.
It was the best way. There are things that dont need to be changed.
I dont like this Ohmori

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'm actually okay with Gym Masters, so long as we still get to battle them and they don't act like Trial Captains.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Gym master or gym leader, whatever they'll call that it will still probably be a type based strong trainer

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I'd like to think that this is just a "fish & chips" thing. Just a difference in name and not in role.
As long as we get to battle them and not just act like a host (Trial Captains), it's fine by me.

axelme

gym masters..maybe suggesting that these will be more challenging because they dont focus on a single type. perhaps they're dual types. perhaps there's some sort of test you have to pass to be able to challenge the gym masters. perhaps there's more than one battle style . maybe instead of focusing on type specialties they focus on battle specialties. forcing you to change to a different style of battle every time. think maybe battle frontier .

i wonder what people would think of a region that had more tan 8 gyms. you know that in the anime they obviously have more than 8 gyms. what about if they introduced more than 8 in the games. you might have a choice of who to battle. im not suggesting having to battle 12 different gyms or whatever but maybe there are 12 and you pick the 8 you want to battle

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Gym Masters seems interesting to say the very least. At this point it is not clear whether it is just another name for Gym Leaders or something more. Whether we will get something other than straight up Single Battles is still up in the air though.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Why? Why Gym Masters? Can't they just do the same thing they've done for the first 20 years or so?

What it probably comes down to is that they feel pressured to not go back the normal after changing things up with Trials.

Personally, I'm not opposed to change in this case, but only if that change gives us something that is clearly better than what we've had. Trials were interesting, and even better than gyms in some ways, but fell flat in most others, and that's why I personally didn't like them and want gyms back.

But for all we know Gym Masters are just Gym Leaders by a different name, so let's not worry about it too much yet.

Frostfall

Also hoping they won't make our characters wear sports uniforms in the gyms like they did the ugly ride armors in alola. I'm a little surprised by the title change but don't really have an opinion on gym masters until I learn what they decided to change in the new arena type gyms. On the topic of making flash decisions, I'm leaning towards sword version at the moment based solely on the fact that the logo is blue :p

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I have no regrets in being as loud as I can with the fact that we need to be more tolerant of change.

With the recent news and revelations, I'm becoming more and more forgiving about the fact that gyms are returning.

Also, I'm 100% confident that the soccer uniform is a mandatory part of the gyms' aesthetics and is not a customization option (which btw, I have no issues with. Given the sports theme going on here, it's more realistic).

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I have no regrets in being as loud as I can with the fact that we need to be more tolerant of change.

With the recent news and revelations, I'm becoming more and more forgiving about the fact that gyms are returning.

Also, I'm 100% confident that the soccer uniform is a mandatory part of the gyms' aesthetics and is not a customization option (which btw, I have no issues with. Given the sports theme going on here, it's more realistic).
Considering it's a resemblance to a soccer uniform, what's the point of it if I'm not kicking anything? =( It's like making the the playable character wear a suit to an accounting firm-like gym in a region about em but not doing people's taxes or creating ledgers for accounts! OK that actually would be funny and awesome to do but still

Zaide

Probably far from what GF will do with the gyms, but I'd love something based around building your team of trainers to fight the teams of the gym masters.

You could recruit trainers all over Galar by beating them or by completing sidequests (and maybe some main quests), and when you're not fighting at the gyms, you could send the trainers you recruited in different areas of the region to train (catch new pokémon, level up their pokémon, etc.). Each trainer could have a "personnality" that dictates how they build their team and how they battle (will only use water type Pokémon, will play a defensive style, will play an offensive style, etc.).
At the gyms, you would match up your trainers against the gym master's trainers and have them battle, and if your team wins most of the battles, you get to fight the gym master.

I feel like this would be a fun side task to send your trainers to train, and maybe you could even train or progress with some of them at your side.