• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Gym Types and Structure Speculation Thread

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
i wish i had a slightly higher res version cos i'm pretty sure the gyms on the map have the actual logos on them, or vague copies of them cos i can almost make out nessa and milos logos

The hi-res version of the map only shows circles and corresponding colors related to its type specialty.
The most interesting one is the gym on the forest because it has two colors: pink and violet. It may be the first dual-type gym.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
The hi-res version of the map only shows circles and corresponding colors related to its type specialty.
The most interesting one is the gym on the forest because it has two colors: pink and violet. It may be the first dual-type gym.
According to that credible leak, that predicted Dynamax among other things:
It claims that the forest gym is only a Fairy gym, although it claims that it is the first gym of its type. Either the leaker forgot Valerie existed, or he messed up and that gym is actually Dark type.

ScratchnSn1ff

According to that credible leak, that predicted Dynamax among other things:
It claims that the forest gym is only a Fairy gym, although it claims that it is the first gym of its type. Either the leaker forgot Valerie existed, or he messed up and that gym is actually Dark type.
Yeah that's a good point
I had forgot that they mentioned the gym being fairy type, and the blunder about it being the first fairy gym is easy to make in their defence they could have just forgotten about the other fairy gym

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I dunno if this was already mentioned before but the numbers on their jersey uniforms are apparently Japanese wordplay on numbers (Goroawase) related to their type specialty/profession. It was a nice touch.

Milo's 831 is 'yasai' meaning 'vegetables'. Nessa's 049 is 'oyogu' meaning 'to swim'.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I dunno if this was already mentioned before but the numbers on their jersey uniforms are apparently Japanese wordplay on numbers (Goroawase) related to their type specialty/profession. It was a nice touch.

Milo's 831 is 'yasai' meaning 'vegetables'. Nessa's 049 is 'oyogu' meaning 'to swim'.
Oh cool.

I'm actually familiar with the concept of goroawase, and being a numbers person, this is pretty neat.

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys

If this is anything to go by, the types should be:

Grass, Water, Ground, Dark, and Fairy/Poison. The dual type theory isn't so crazy considering we've had more then one gym leader and type like in Unova and Hoenn.

The interesting thing is there are two more stadiums but they just have that red/blue emblem on it, one in the industrial city and the one at the very top of the city. I'm not sure what those could be in reference too or what they mean. I know it's a logo and a poke ball but idk what it could mean type wise. It looks sort of like this for reference:

366-3668346_pokemon-sword-and-shield-gym-pokeball-symbol-circle.png

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jerimiyah said:
I really hope it's meant to be a Dark gym since we haven't had one before. Fairy getting a gym is fine with me too I guess, but Dark deserves some love from Game Freak.

In addition to the possibility of there being a Dark-themed Gym in Galar, I hope that there will also be a Poison Gym. The last time we had one was in Gen V, which was seven years ago. I'm just a fan of Poison-types in general, and I want a Poison-type Gym Leader who is some kind of shaman or medicine man.

Looks like that purplish/pinkish gym in the fairy-like mushroom town is a Ghost-Type gym. Like the Shy Guy-like design of the Gym Leader.
The official site shows the setting of Bea/Allister's Gym, and it definitely doesn't look like that mushroom-filled forest.

The people speculating that mushroom-forest Gym may be dual-typed might've been onto something, though: maybe it's another version-exclusive Gym (like Fairy for Sword and Poison for Shield).

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
The official site shows the setting of Allister's Gym, and it definitely doesn't look like that mushroom-filled forest.

The people speculating that mushroom-forest Gym might be dual-typed might've been onto something, though: maybe it's another version-exclusive Gym (maybe Fairy for Sword and Poison for Shield).
Huh, interesting. Version-exclusive gyms is not something that occurred to me. I don't think we've seen anything like this since Drayden & Iris from Gen V.

Lucky3

The official site shows the setting of Bea/Allister's Gym, and it definitely doesn't look like that mushroom-filled forest.

The people speculating that mushroom-forest Gym may be dual-typed might've been onto something, though: maybe it's another version-exclusive Gym (like Fairy for Sword and Poison for Shield).
That's definitely the brown gym in the rocky area to the left of the big tower. It matches exactly, with the water around it and everything.

there's also info on the gym challenge and what is called the champion cup, you do the gym challenge to get into the champion cup is the basic gist of it. which will probably just be the E4 i assume.
I can't link it for some reason but it's on the official site for any that want to look into it a bit more
It seems a lot like the anime Leagues:

Once a year in the Galar region, a series of Pokémon battles are held with the League Championship on the line.

This is the Champion Cup! The Champion Cup is the tournament to decide who will be able to challenge the reigning Champion for their seat. Exemplary Trainers throughout the region, such as those who successfully complete the Gym Challenge, are allowed to participate in the Champion Cup tournament.

It sounds like you'll have to face Hop at some point in this Cup (unless he drops out/doesn't get all 8 Badges?)

Orphalesion

So since there's only six stadiums clearly visible on the map.....

...what if there's only 5 Gyms + Elite4/Champion? I know people like to think that the Victorian and Medieval looking cities, but the bits that maaaaaaaaaaybe, perhaaaaaps, poooooosibly could be gyms don't feature any of the elements the other stadiums have (no logo, no "spikes", no room for spectators...)

So since there's only six stadiums clearly visible on the map.....

...what if there's only 5 Gyms + Elite4/Champion? I know people like to think that the Victorian and Medieval looking cities, but the bits that maaaaaaaaaaybe, perhaaaaaps, poooooosibly could be gyms don't feature any of the elements the other stadiums have (no logo, no "spikes", no room for spectators...)
It's a little weird that most Gyms have that very specific stadium style while a few others might not, but the official site does mention 8 Gyms/Badges: The Gym Challenge is a true celebration of Pokémon battling! Participating Trainers strive to collect all eight Gym Badges, and only Pokémon Trainers who have been endorsed by specific people, such as Gym Leaders, can join in. You and your rival Hop will receive your letters of endorsement from Champion Leon himself, kicking off your journey to challenge the Gyms of the region!