• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Gym Types and Structure Speculation Thread

Everlasting

Everything stays.
So since there's only six stadiums clearly visible on the map.....

...what if there's only 5 Gyms + Elite4/Champion? I know people like to think that the Victorian and Medieval looking cities, but the bits that maaaaaaaaaaybe, perhaaaaaps, poooooosibly could be gyms don't feature any of the elements the other stadiums have (no logo, no "spikes", no room for spectators...)

The official website has already confirmed that there are thankfully 8 gym badges to collect in the Galar Region:
"The Gym Challenge is a true celebration of Pokémon battling! Participating Trainers strive to collect all eight Gym Badges, and only Pokémon Trainers who have been endorsed by specific people, such as Gym Leaders, can join in."

edit: Greninja'd. In any case I wonder if that means two gyms have different infrastructure or if the map really is that unfaithful to the actual region.

Orphalesion

It's a little weird that most Gyms have that very specific stadium style while a few others might not, but the official site does mention 8 Gyms/Badges: The Gym Challenge is a true celebration of Pokémon battling! Participating Trainers strive to collect all eight Gym Badges, and only Pokémon Trainers who have been endorsed by specific people, such as Gym Leaders, can join in.

You and your rival Hop will receive your letters of endorsement from Champion Leon himself, kicking off your journey to challenge the Gyms of the region!

Thank you! That whole thing with Alola only having four trials and Gamefreak making some statements to the effect of making games less drawn out as in the past made me a little bit nervous as to the number of gyms when there's not enough obvious stadiums on the map.

catzeye

Writer's Block
I'm liking the whole version exclusive gym leaders thing to be honest. It will make the choice of buying both games to be more logical since there will be more differences. Bea looks cool, but Allister is so awesome looking.

Also I am LOVING the Champion Cup idea. I've been dying to see something similar to PWT come back so I'm excited for this.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Thank god for a Ghost type leader. The first one since Fantina. Would've prefered if Bea was a Steel type gym leader so that type also can make a return, but maybe for another gym leader.

Phillies

I wonder if whichever of Bea/Allister isn't in your game will be a participant in the Champions Cup. Also I want my character to be able to cosplay as Allister. I also don't thing that Rose and Oleana are outright evil but are going to play the corrupt league officials who fix matches in order to make more money.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I wonder if whichever of Bea/Allister isn't in your game will be a participant in the Champions Cup. Also I want my character to be able to cosplay as Allister. I also don't thing that Rose and Oleana are outright evil but are going to play the corrupt league officials who fix matches in order to make more money.

I hope so, it'd just be frustrating if the character's there but doesn't really do anything like Iris/Drayden in BW 1 and the other two Ultra Recon Squad members
I'd love it if the other is still involved somehow

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
We also know now one of Bea's partner is Hitmontop, thanks to the Japanese trailer. Also, am I the only one her headband resembles Scorbunny's ears?

id7obG.png

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was looking forward to there being a Ghost-type Gym in Galar, but I don't know if I like the fact that it's exclusive to one game. I wasn't expecting version exclusive Gym Leaders in general in these games, so I find it both interesting and a little disappointing.

DSDark

Breeder
Thank god for a Ghost type leader. The first one since Fantina. Would've prefered if Bea was a Steel type gym leader so that type also can make a return, but maybe for another gym leader.

however Acerola was in the last gen

We also know now one of Bea's partner is Hitmontop, thanks to the Japanese trailer. Also, am I the only one her headband resembles Scorbunny's ears?

id7obG.png

please please please no

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Since Pupitar is shown against Allister, they’re probably a mid to late game opponent.
No, it's more of promoting Larvitar and Jangmo-o being version exclusive and how can only be obtained early in-game if you purchase the Double Pack.

It's been mentioned you can't obtain them until very late in-game.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
No, it's more of promoting Larvitar and Jangmo-o being version exclusive and how can only be obtained early in-game if you purchase the Double Pack.

It's been mentioned you can't obtain them until very late in-game.
Yeah I just got around to checking out everything not revealed in the trailer. That’s most likely it but I wouldn’t discount the option

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
however Acerola was in the last gen

please please please no
Ah but I love Hitmontop! He has some of the coolest animations in Stadium 2, Colosseum, XD & Battle Revolution... not so much in GameFreak's 3D games though unless Hitmontop attacks.

DSDark

Breeder
Ah but I love Hitmontop! He has some of the coolest animations in Stadium 2, Colosseum, XD & Battle Revolution... not so much in GameFreak's 3D games though unless Hitmontop attacks.

I more meant no to bea's headband looking like scorbunny's ears.