• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 New Moves Wishlist

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would like to see more moves that function like Photon Geyser, in that the damage the deal with depends on which of your Pokemon's two attack stats is higher
Yeah, I would like to see something like that but except it's a weaker variant. Somewhere on the lines, I think something like that could be quite powerful, like somewhere around 90 BP, but has a somewhat limited PP of 10. There could be a good number of types that can be used, so I don't know which type it will be for now.
 

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Attacks that use different stats would be fun too, like for instance;

Shield Smash
80bp Physical Fighting Attack
100acc 15pp
A unique fighting technique where the user smashes into the for with all of it's defensive might.
Damage is calculated using the users Defense stat instead of it's Attack stat.
 

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I thought of one that uses the Speed stat

Dash Smash
Type: Normal
Category: Physical
Base Power: 85
PP: 10
Accuracy: 100

Uses the Speed stat instead of Attack or Special Attack to determine damage. Makes contact.
 

Gen82

Well-Known Member
Ax Blade
Physical Steel attack.
60 BP
10PP
90 ACC
This move will always land a critical hit unless the Pokemon is protected.

Also thought a good gimmick for steel Pokemon moves is to have them be named after weapons.
 

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Ghostly Shriek
70bp Special Ghost Attack
90acc 10pp

A shrieking wail that can paralyze the for with fear while dealing damage.

Sound based Ghost Attack with a
30% chance to paralyze.
 

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Moderator
I would like to see more moves that function like Photon Geyser, in that the damage the deal with depends on which of your Pokemon's two attack stats is higher

Yeah, would be nice to have more moves like that, ones that are kinda weak (60-70 base power?) but have a somewhat big distribution.

And honestly, Multi-Attack should have worked that way since the start, considering Silvally seems to be built by GF to be a mixed attacker.
Core Enforcer too, it is clearly supposed to be a special move, but Zygarde has a higher Atk stat than SpAtk for whatever reason. I don't know which one they designed first, Core Enforcer or Zygarde's stats, but there's clearly something wrong here.
 

Zaide

Well-Known Member
Yeah, would be nice to have more moves like that, ones that are kinda weak (60-70 base power?) but have a somewhat big distribution.

And honestly, Multi-Attack should have worked that way since the start, considering Silvally seems to be built by GF to be a mixed attacker.
Core Enforcer too, it is clearly supposed to be a special move, but Zygarde has a higher Atk stat than SpAtk for whatever reason. I don't know which one they designed first, Core Enforcer or Zygarde's stats, but there's clearly something wrong here.
I think it was an attempt to prevent Zygarde from abusing a 100 BP dragon move with dragon dance/coil.

But then, in SM/USUM, we get sunsteel strike/photon geyser/moongeist beam on a fast Pokémon that learns swords dance and calm mind, which ignore the ability of the target. So yeah...
 

GDK

Well-Known Member
Perma frost.
10 pp 50 power, special attack.
Makes all entry hazard on the opponent side deal ice type damage instead of their initial type (meaning spikes can hit everyone,stealth rock deals ice damage instead of rock, toxik spikes can be removed by switching an ice type).

Scorched earth.
10 pp 50 power , special attack
Makes all entry hazad deal fire damage, toxik spikes now burn the opponent (makes double layer useless I guess).
 

Luthor

Well-Known Member
I'd like more Dragon-typed and Fire-typed status moves. Despite having been around since gen 1 the dragon type only has 1 status type move and the fire type only has 2.
 

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I'm game for more unconventional status afflicting moves.

Like how Scald can cause Burns.

Give us some sort of Mucus Toss for the amphibian Pokemon that can be a Poison or Water type move, but has a chance to cause Paralysis, or a move called Heat Lightning (Arid Spark?) that is an Electric move that could potentially Burn the target.
 

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I just wanted to point out that Garchomp still didn’t get Dragon Hammer in USUM. Let me tell you something...

- IT’S A HAMMERHEAD SHARK -

Literally, a hammer. headed. dragon. shark. Swing him from the side if you have to! GameFreak, do we have to spell it out? Also, please give Druddigon Dragon Rush while you’re at it.

@MetalFlygon08

Definitely need more varied attack + status moves. I’m an electrician, and there’s a deadly phenomenon we have to be aware of called an Arc Flash. It happens when electricity connects between particles in the air (in-between terminals), they become volatile and explode in a surge of high heat. (Sounds like what you’re describing as an Arid Spark.) It kills electricians through sheer force and severely burns those who are injured. Maybe an electric move that has a recharge turn, causes a burn and a 10% chance to flinch? 5 PP with 90% accuracy. Remember it’s electric and has the 1 turn cooldown.
 
Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Hammer Toss
Physical
Steel
90 BP
Description: The user launches a heavy metal object at its opponent. This attack may lower Defense.
Pokémon that can learn this move: Golurk, Metang, Metagross, Marowak, Alolan Marowak, Cubone (Egg), Rhyperior, Alolan Golem, Lucario, Conkeldurr, Dhelmise
 
Last edited:

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Tidal Kick
Water Physical Attack
90bp 100acc
10% Flinch
The user leaps into the air and drops upon foe with a drop kick as strong as a crashing tidal wave.
 

Nodame

Well-Known Member
I want a Fairy elemental punch, maybe call it Fairy Punch? We need more physical fairy moves..
 

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I want a Fairy elemental punch, maybe call it Fairy Punch? We need more physical fairy moves..
I thought about one a while back and I was also thinking that it could drain HP. That’ll make it similar to Drain Punch but I don’t think that matters as long as Drain Punch is the only punch move that drains HP.
 

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Some ideas
Aural Blast
Psychic Special move
175 Power
85 accuracy
5 PP
The user cannot move on the next turn.
Learned by: Riolu, Lucario, Alakazam, Mewtwo.
Sonic Wave
Normal type move
75 Power
100 Accuracy
20 PP
This move has a 50% chance of flinching or paralyzing the opponent.
Learned by: Magnemite, Magneton, Magnezone, Noivern.
Mucus Drench
Poison type
80 Power
95 Accuracy
15 PP
Has a 35% chance of poisoning or paralyzing the opponent. Power doubled if target is already poisoned, paralyzed or burned.
Learned by: Croagunk, Toxicroak, Cubchoo (egg move), Grimer, Muk.
Halving Chop
Fighting type
— Power
100 Accuracy
25 PP
This move halves the current HP of the opponent. Strengthened by Iron Fist (if it has Iron Fist, this move is a one hit KO).
Learned by: Hariyama, Machoke, Macham, Hitmonchan, Croagunk, Toxicroak.
Venom Punch
Poison type
70 Power
100 Accuracy
20 PP
This move has a 30% chance to poison the opponent. Power boosted by Iron Fist.
Move could be learned by: Croagunk, Toxicroak, Hitmonchan, Pangoro, Muk.
Wingshield
Flying type
— Power
— Accuracy
15 PP
Has the same effect as Protect and Detect.
Learned by: Skarmory and other Flying-types.
 

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I just wanted to point out that Garchomp still didn’t get Dragon Hammer in USUM. Let me tell you something...

- IT’S A HAMMERHEAD SHARK -

Literally, a hammer. headed. dragon. shark. Swing him from the side if you have to! GameFreak, do we have to spell it out? Also, please give Druddigon Dragon Rush while you’re at it.

@MetalFlygon08

Definitely need more varied attack + status moves. I’m an electrician, and there’s a deadly phenomenon we have to be aware of called an Arc Flash. It happens when electricity connects between particles in the air (in-between terminals), they become volatile and explode in a surge of high heat. (Sounds like what you’re describing as an Arid Spark.) It kills electricians through sheer force and severely burns those who are injured. Maybe an electric move that has a recharge turn, causes a burn and a 10% chance to flinch? 5 PP with 90% accuracy. Remember it’s electric and has the 1 turn cooldown.
The Arc Flash move could also do recoil to the user if it misses, it sounds like a good idea for a move.
 

Zaide

Well-Known Member
Some ideas
Aural Blast
Psychic Special move
175 Power
85 accuracy
5 PP
The user cannot move on the next turn.
Learned by: Riolu, Lucario, Alakazam, Mewtwo.
Sonic Wave
Normal type move
75 Power
100 Accuracy
20 PP
This move has a 50% chance of flinching or paralyzing the opponent.
Learned by: Magnemite, Magneton, Magnezone, Noivern.
Mucus Drench
Poison type
80 Power
95 Accuracy
15 PP
Has a 35% chance of poisoning or paralyzing the opponent. Power doubled if target is already poisoned, paralyzed or burned.
Learned by: Croagunk, Toxicroak, Cubchoo (egg move), Grimer, Muk.
Halving Chop
Fighting type
— Power
100 Accuracy
25 PP
This move halves the current HP of the opponent. Strengthened by Iron Fist (if it has Iron Fist, this move is a one hit KO).
Learned by: Hariyama, Machoke, Macham, Hitmonchan, Croagunk, Toxicroak.
Venom Punch
Poison type
70 Power
100 Accuracy
20 PP
This move has a 30% chance to poison the opponent. Power boosted by Iron Fist.
Move could be learned by: Croagunk, Toxicroak, Hitmonchan, Pangoro, Muk.
Wingshield
Flying type
— Power
— Accuracy
15 PP
Has the same effect as Protect and Detect.
Learned by: Skarmory and other Flying-types.
Well, overall, some ideas are good, but they are totally unbalanced.

Aural Blast -> Hyper Beam has 150 BP and 90% accuracy. The 5% drop in accuracy is insignificant in regards to the 25 BP upgrade. I don't think GF would make a clone move significantly better than the rest, so unless they change hyper beam and the rest, it doesn't really make sense. HOWEVER, I'd really be for a hyper beam and cie. upgrade, considering they were good in gen I and maybe gen II as nukes, but now, we've been getting many more boosting moves, high damaging moves without a charging turn, etc. I think they should all be upped to 170-180 BP.

Sonic Wave -> I assume it works like tri attack, with paralysis or flinch having each a 25% chance of occuring. While none of the Pokémon who would get it get STAB, I think that might be too much considering body slam, air slash, etc. all have a 30% chance of either flinching OR paralysing (without the other having a chance of occuring). If you want both, I'd lower the odds to 40%, so that each have 20% chance of occuring. That said, I really do think a move named "Sonic Wave" should be flying type and be a 40 BP special priority move. There's a big lack of special priority move, and this would be the perfect opportunity to introduce one that is accessible (because there's already water shuriken, but only for Greninja).

Mucus Drench -> So that's basically a "reverse" poison type Facade. The problem I have here though is that venoshock is already a move that doubles its power only on a poisoned target, and it has a 65 BP. This move has 15 more BP, works on any status ailment besides freeze, AND can even cause those status ailment. That's way too much. What I think would be a great idea, however, is if its secondary effect was that it heals the poison status and induces paralysis if the target is poisoned, still with a 80 BP and 100% accuracy instead. Or the opposite (heals paralysis and causes - bad? - poison).

Halving Chop -> Nope. That's totally ridiculous. Do you realize just how broken this would be on a scarf hitmonchan? Fixed damage moves like this aren't boosted by abilities and for good reasons.

Venom Punch -> Great idea. But I feel like that's too much like Poison Jab when boosted by Iron Fist (only 84 BP). I'd up its base BP to 75 to be on par with other punch moves.

Wingshield -> I would not just give it the same effect as Protect and Detect, since that's completely useless and the new protection moves GF has introduced all have a gimmick effect (halves attack of the opponent, poison the opponents, deals 12% recoil, etc.). The name is pretty neat however. As a potential effect, I'd have it deal 12% recoil to the opponent if it uses a non contact move - basically working like this "wingshield" was throwing back the attack at the opponent.
 

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Well, overall, some ideas are good, but they are totally unbalanced.

Aural Blast -> Hyper Beam has 150 BP and 90% accuracy. The 5% drop in accuracy is insignificant in regards to the 25 BP upgrade. I don't think GF would make a clone move significantly better than the rest, so unless they change hyper beam and the rest, it doesn't really make sense. HOWEVER, I'd really be for a hyper beam and cie. upgrade, considering they were good in gen I and maybe gen II as nukes, but now, we've been getting many more boosting moves, high damaging moves without a charging turn, etc. I think they should all be upped to 170-180 BP.

Sonic Wave -> I assume it works like tri attack, with paralysis or flinch having each a 25% chance of occuring. While none of the Pokémon who would get it get STAB, I think that might be too much considering body slam, air slash, etc. all have a 30% chance of either flinching OR paralysing (without the other having a chance of occuring). If you want both, I'd lower the odds to 40%, so that each have 20% chance of occuring. That said, I really do think a move named "Sonic Wave" should be flying type and be a 40 BP special priority move. There's a big lack of special priority move, and this would be the perfect opportunity to introduce one that is accessible (because there's already water shuriken, but only for Greninja).

Mucus Drench -> So that's basically a "reverse" poison type Facade. The problem I have here though is that venoshock is already a move that doubles its power only on a poisoned target, and it has a 65 BP. This move has 15 more BP, works on any status ailment besides freeze, AND can even cause those status ailment. That's way too much. What I think would be a great idea, however, is if its secondary effect was that it heals the poison status and induces paralysis if the target is poisoned, still with a 80 BP and 100% accuracy instead. Or the opposite (heals paralysis and causes - bad? - poison).

Halving Chop -> Nope. That's totally ridiculous. Do you realize just how broken this would be on a scarf hitmonchan? Fixed damage moves like this aren't boosted by abilities and for good reasons.

Venom Punch -> Great idea. But I feel like that's too much like Poison Jab when boosted by Iron Fist (only 84 BP). I'd up its base BP to 75 to be on par with other punch moves.

Wingshield -> I would not just give it the same effect as Protect and Detect, since that's completely useless and the new protection moves GF has introduced all have a gimmick effect (halves attack of the opponent, poison the opponents, deals 12% recoil, etc.). The name is pretty neat however. As a potential effect, I'd have it deal 12% recoil to the opponent if it uses a non contact move - basically working like this "wingshield" was throwing back the attack at the opponent.
I honestly agree. Wingshield could do recoil damage to the opponent when it lands a non-contact move. I also failed to notice how broken that would be on Hitmonchan.
I think now the same about the Sonic Wave move. Maybe teach it to a few Bird Pokémon as well. Also Greninja and Noivern would be good, and if something like that was able to flinch the opponent it would be good. Also, if it could get past Protect/Detect moves, which I haven’t seen a priority move that does that.
The Mucus Drench would make more sense if it heals poison and causes paralysis.
 
Top