• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Online Multiplayer Disscussion

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Given the last thread for discussing online multiplayer functions for the Gen 8 games has long since died this thread is for discussing possible multiplayer features for Sword and Shield. The big elephant in the room is of course Switch online functions is no longer free needing a Nintendo Switch Online subscription. Do you see Sword and Shield being among the games that do not need a Nintendo Switch Online subscription?

Also what other features would you like to see outside of the usual trading and battling?

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Eh... I'm fairly certain that the online features (whatever they are) in SwSh will require NSO. Isn't that also the case for LGPE?

As for features I would like to see, there's just gotta be a PR video or Photo Club like feature, and that you can show off your trainer (and/or Pokemon) to the world.

There should also be activities, minigames, "missions", etc., that people can do with each other. Like the Plaza did, but better.

Finally, I miss the persistent online connectivity that the PSS had.

Satoshi & Touko

Please contest <3
And even better - ONLINE contests, where u could participate in with other players
That would actually be fun, especially if customization went far enough to allow you to purchase from a selection of different outfits specifically for Contests. <3

Or even better, allow you to design your own.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I've looked up Switch Online and they keep on talking about smartphone apps. Does that mean you need a compatible smartphone to go online with Switch games?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Fix the damn GTS. We pay for online now, the mess on the 3DS is no longer acceptable.

Keep the gimmicks to a minimal and bring back PSS, or something even better.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
What do u mean by paying for online?
As stated in the original post Switch online isn’t free, a NSO subscription is needed. It can be a bit jarring since we have been used to free online play since it was introduced.

Satoshi & Touko

Keep the gimmicks to a minimal and bring back PSS, or something even better.
Assuming I understand correctly what you mean by "keep the gimmicks to a minimal", that would be horrible. There should be more to online than just being the hub for battling and trading.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
As stated in the original post Switch online isn’t free, a NSO subscription is needed. It can be a bit jarring since we have been used to free online play since it was introduced.
Wow thats really wrong. The swirch amd its games r xenssive. Its outrage thst we also need to pay for online featires .-.-

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
STADIUMS! STADIUMS! STADIUMS STADIUMS STAAAAAAAAAAAAAADIUMS! Lots of stadiums to choose from please.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Nothing is ever free and Nintendo's online services were inevitably going to go down that route eventually. I do agree that the NSO should be a lot more enticing haha.

As for this thread, give us something more streamlined like the PSS although I doubt it could replicate that experience given the Switch has one screen.

Akashin

I've looked up Switch Online and they keep on talking about smartphone apps. Does that mean you need a compatible smartphone to go online with Switch games?

As far as I know, the app you're referring to is only for the voice chat feature.

Wow thats really wrong. The swirch amd its games r xenssive. Its outrage thst we also need to pay for online featires .-.-

Sony and Microsoft have been charging for both for well over a decade. You're well within your rights to not like it or support it (I've yet to subscribe to NSO myself, simply because it isn't worth it to me yet), but this is just Nintendo getting with the times.

As far as features, I'm not too picky. The Festival Plaza was fun for what it was when it wasn't frustrating you by complicating the trading and battling process compared to the PSS, so something along those lines but while still allowing you to trade and battle outside of it would be ideal.

Satoshi & Touko

Yeah, I don't agree with the complaints of Nintendo charging a minor fee for their online service, especially when it's so much lower than their competitors. That just feels to me like entitlement.

Now, whether or not what you're paying for is of acceptable quality is another matter.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
To sum it up.
Build and expand upon the PSS.
Include the Festival Plaza as an in-game location, much more easy to access.
Bring back the choices to choose any battle arena we want from the Battle Revolution series.

And that's really it for me.