• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Region Hopes and Dreams

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I'm hoping for Plus and Minus. Sounds dope.

Red and Blue

What would the third versions be called? Positive Plus and Negative Minus?

Though I wouldnt mind if they did away with third versions all together

World Turtle

If like with Sun and Moon the titles basically spell out what the legendary are I kind of wonder what they'd be exactly? Charged Particles like Positive Protons and Negative Electrons? Maybe Magnetism? So like The Earth's poles: North is Negative and South is Positive.

We did guys based on Matter (Creation Trio) and Energy (Tao Trio). So how about Force? You know Push and Pull, that could be a duo. Magnets have red and blue ends as well.

Also negative and positive karma (action), character traits, etc. something more spiritual.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Sun and Moon aren't exactly original either. Or at least Pokemon was late to the party given Digimon already did a pair of Sun and Moon themed games (called Dawn/Sunburst and Dusk/Moonlight), and Megaman did Red Sun and Blue Moon...

How does North and South sound? I can even think of a good tagline to go with it "Which direction (or path) will you choose?"

It's not about originality, it's about a good sounding name. Plus and Minus just make me think of like... Primary school math or something. Adding an X Y or Z to something makes me think of like... Megaman X or DBZ. A cool 90s power move. Sun and Moon are generic celestial entities but still a pretty cool name and very Hawaiian. Black and White have a crisp boldness to them in an almost confrontational way. Plus and Minus are... Weak and childish

Airin_

or Bunnie
It's not about originality, it's about a good sounding name. Plus and Minus just make me think of like... Primary school math or something. Adding an X Y or Z to something makes me think of like... Megaman X or DBZ. A cool 90s power move. Sun and Moon are generic celestial entities but still a pretty cool name and very Hawaiian. Black and White have a crisp boldness to them in an almost confrontational way. Plus and Minus are... Weak and childish

i honestly have to agree with that, Plus and Minus are not even interesting or "solid" enough as concepts. when i hear these words nothing but batteries come to mind, lol. i'd like to see something more special.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???

I think it's a bit unfair to call the names weak and childish when the games are marketed towards kids and we literally have a game named Yellow. Not exactly the most exciting thing to come to mind. I purely think that the names are just basic underlines for the themes of the games since B/W since before then the color only really related to the starters and legendaries.

If anything they aren't against corny name structures either. The last third versions we got were literally named with Ultra at the beginning of them. Hilariously cheesy, but marketable enough.

They could possible relate to the plus and minus buttons on the switch, but it's like naming a game after the 1 and 2 buttons on a Wii controller. Honestly, they might just go for synonym with positive and negative if they choose to do so.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I've accepted how bland the main series Pokémon titlular names are (except Emerald, Platnium, & ORAS).

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I think it's a bit unfair to call the names weak and childish when the games are marketed towards kids and we literally have a game named Yellow. Not exactly the most exciting thing to come to mind. I purely think that the names are just basic underlines for the themes of the games since B/W since before then the color only really related to the starters and legendaries.

If anything they aren't against corny name structures either. The last third versions we got were literally named with Ultra at the beginning of them. Hilariously cheesy, but marketable enough.

They could possible relate to the plus and minus buttons on the switch, but it's like naming a game after the 1 and 2 buttons on a Wii controller. Honestly, they might just go for synonym with positive and negative if they choose to do so.

How are Plus and Minus any more different and simple then all of the other names in the core games?

Personally I like them better than X and Y
I've accepted how bland the main series Pokémon titlular names are (except Emerald, Platnium, & ORAS).

I don't think it's very fair to go as far back as RGBY since they were the first and hadn't worked out what people would like. Even Gold, Silver and Crystal are better sounding names than Plus and Minus.

I also don't really think there's been a bland name so far but that's just an opinion.

As for addressing the core audience being kids thing, the target demographic is generally around 7 to early/mid teens who generally don't appreciate childish things. I certainly wouldn't have bought something called Pokemon Plus or Minus as a kid. If it were a Let's Go game it would make more sense since that's aimed at a younger audience so childish things are more acceptable.

Ultra fits into that same "putting an X on it makes it cool" thing so that made sense.

Personally my favourite title so far is Crystal. I feel like it just works so well and is a cool word in general.

Orphalesion

I don't think Plus and Minus are words that sound very "cool" to young children or even sound very pleasing as titles at all. Plus they show up every time Pokemon fans try to think of what the next games might be (ooooh, what's the first duality I can think of???)

Sun and Moon, while yes, being simple words, also carry a lot of emotional association with them. Gemstones and minerals are considered valuable and desirable and also carry a lot of emotional association. Black and White also have many cultural and mythological associations with light, darkness, positivity, negativity, good and evil etc. etc. etc. etc.
X is a letter that is used very frequently because it is often seen as having a "cool" shape and name.

Plus and Minus meanwhile....are plus and minus. "Wooo"

That being said I could sort of see Electron and Positron. Sorta. Maybe. Perhaps.

Acer11

I don't know which Country the new region would be based on, here are the following possibilities:
Africa (including Kenya & Egypt (parts, of course)), Australia, Spain, Sri Lanka, India, China, Canada, Brazil, England (UK), Ireland, or Peru.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
So if we get a Canada based region like i Want. I'd like it to be based off of States of Ontario & Quebec. Because those are the centers of the Anglo-Candian and French-Canadiam cultures respectively. And Nunavut territory because I want artic areas.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
African region would be amazing.
For a region based on an African country. In no particular order. I would prefer one of these 5 countries:
Madagascar because it's a beautiful island with unique wild life and ecosystems. And it's one of the 17 countries in the world with most biodiversity aka a megadiverse country.
Democratic republic of Congo. Because it's also one of the megadiverse of countries.
South Africa for the same reason.
Egypt because, it has a lot of history (Ancient Egypt, the Ptolemaic era, Roman era, Islamic era) and interesting mythology and the pyramids and a desert based region would be nice.
Ethiopia because it's the birthplace of humans so maybe we could learn more about the history of Pokemon world in a Ethiopia based region and because it has many different biomes. Such as the cold highlands. But also hot deserts and Savannas.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
South Korea would be cool. Seoul would be the big city obviously. Lots of fashion and beauty stuff for trainer customization. A variety of interesting places to adapt with a few old Korean palaces too. That would be fun.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Korea is similar to japan and we already have 4 regions based off Japan. I don’t think we need more Asian regions.

You do realize the game is made by Japanese developers, right? Seoul and Japan are not the same place. Just because something is asian-inspired doesn't make it samey. Johto is clearly not the same as Hoenn or Sinnoh. The last Japanese-inspired region we even got was Sinnoh, a more snowy region. If they go back to Japan, I'm up for a change.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
This prob fits more in the new Pokemon thread.....

But I hope gen8 gives us a regional mammal that is dual type, and a regional bird that doesn't end up /Normal.

2 regional bugs with decent stats and fun new/rarely used type combos would be fun.

2 new fossil lines.

2 psuedo legends like gen 3.