• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Region Hopes and Dreams

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
A lot of people are requesting a cold region but how is that gonna affect the new generation Pokémon? Unless everything is gonna be an Ice type, Wild bug Pokemon, fire pokemon, etc are gonna have to match the climate somehow

Sinnoh is a cold climate and isn't mostly ice pokemon just like Alola is a hot region but isn't mostly fire pokemon

Lucky3

They'll just add whatever environment they need. I don't think New York is as climatically varied as Unova.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
They'll just add whatever environment they need. I don't think New York is as climatically varied as Unova.

New York state is actually pretty environmentally diverse from what I've heard.

So yes each region does have areas that diversify their climate but they do have a general environment that encompasses the whole region.

Kanto and Johto are plains;
Hoenn and Alola are tropical/island;
Unova and Kalos are pretty generic non-descript climates (more "urban" with Unova);
Sinnoh is chilly Hokkaido style weather.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
A lot of people are requesting a cold region but how is that gonna affect the new generation Pokémon? Unless everything is gonna be an Ice type, Wild bug Pokemon, fire pokemon, etc are gonna have to match the climate somehow

Or... Not everything has to match. Not every desert Pokemon needs to be /Ground. Not every Pokemon found in woods is /Grass or /Bug. And even though it hasn't really happened much not every aquatic Pokemon needs to be /Water.

Likewise cold climates does not have to equal /Ice.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

So yes each region does have areas that diversify their climate but they do have a general environment that encompasses the whole region.

Unova and Kalos are pretty generic non-descript climates (more "urban" with Unova);
NY is definitely diverse. Not as diverse as other areas but it’s significant enough to be considered noteworthy here

World Turtle

I would like to hit every continent at some point. Unfortunately SA is tropical and we already did that. Though IIRC aren't most places south of the equator warm because most of the landmass is just closer to the equator oppose to the landmass in the northern hemisphere?

I suppose the best solution would be to change the tone or genre of the story/adventure. Alola was a Tropical Island Vacation Adventure story.

So what else can we do? A Desert Punk/Mad Max story in the Australian Outback? A Indiana Jones/Lost World story in South America? A Jungle Safari or Mysteries of Ancient PokeEgypt story in Africa?

Lucky3

I don't doubt it's diverse, but are there deserts or volcanoes like in Unova? Besides, Unova is based more on the New York metropolitan area than New York State. The general feel of the region is urban because of that, but it's not like the entire region is urbanized.

Anyways, I don't disagree with your point. Just saying that Pokemon regions aren't exact copies of whatever they are based in. So sure, having a sand desert in a region based on the farth north would be weird, but Sinnoh had it in Route 228 and it didn't feel too out of place, despite the generally cold atmosphere.

So regardless of the inspiration, we can always expect to find the classic RPG environments.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
a cold region like Sinnoh will be welcomed.
Btw, when do u expect we get some news?? Weren't XY announced in Jan? o.o

paipr_christian

grass type fan.

They were. Sun and Moon were first mentioned in Feb with actual reveals of starters and box legends in May.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor

it's up for debate. I personally don't expect anything till at the very earliest March (I'm thinking either April or May) but a ton of people think feb. I doubt they would reveal something so soon after a game's launch though.

janejane6178

it's up for debate. I personally don't expect anything till at the very earliest March (I'm thinking either April or May) but a ton of people think feb. I doubt they would reveal something so soon after a game's launch though.
Do u remmeber if there was a 2 years gap between xy release and BW2? If so it's logical the xy's (perfect games) were revealed in Jan, if there was only 1 year gap, maybe we still have a chance to get an announcement soon ?' =[

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Do u remmeber if there was a 2 years gap between xy release and BW2? If so it's logical the xy's (perfect games) were revealed in Jan, if there was only 1 year gap, maybe we still have a chance to get an announcement soon ?' =[
I believe it was two years between gens for Japan but a year and a half for the rest of the world. I just remember that BW2 were out for a little over a year when Nintendo Wi-fi was shut down and the GTS for all DS games were closed and the Dream World shuttling down at the same time. Then XY were announced and everyone forgot how abruptly BW2’s online functions ended.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I believe it was two years between gens for Japan but a year and a half for the rest of the world. I just remember that BW2 were out for a little over a year when Nintendo Wi-fi was shut down and the GTS for all DS games were closed and the Dream World shuttling down at the same time. Then XY were announced and everyone forgot how abruptly BW2’s online functions ended.
The DS's WiFi functions shut down in 2014. XY was already out by the time the DS's WiFi functions were closed.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The DS's WiFi functions shut down in 2014. XY was already out by the time the DS's WiFi functions were closed.
Really? I just remember XY being announced and the Gen V games becoming shells of their former selves with onl8ne functions cut off abruptly for the most part.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Really? I just remember XY being announced and the Gen V games becoming shells of their former selves with onl8ne functions cut off abruptly for the most part.
Yeah. Nintendo WiFi connection (the connection used by the Wii and DS) was shut down on May 20, 2014. ORAS had been announced by that point.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
That was an awkward period tbh. I remember having trouble with the Dream World in general to prepare getting the bonuses given to the new GTS site and never getting any of the gifts even though I was entitled to receive them.

Orphalesion

Just checked the dates and according to Wikipedia, Pokemon Black and White 2 were released in 2012 and X and Y were released in 2013.

That being said, B/W 2 were also the last Pokemon games on an old system, so Nintendo might not have been as interested in promoting them as X/Y.

Blergh, and there they tell us not to "hate" on LGPE... not enough that they exist, now they might delay the announcement of 2019?

Last edited:

janejane6178

Just checked the dates and according to Wikipedia, Pokemon Black and White 2 were released in 2012 and X and Y were released in 2013.

That being said, B/W 2 were also the last Pokemon games on an old system, so Nintendo might not have been as interested in promoting them as X/Y.

Blergh, and there they tell us not to "hate" on LGPE... not enough that they exist, now they might delay the announcement of 2019?
I really hope we get news soon......

BCVM22

I'm not sure if the notion of "they're gonna delay the 2019 reveal!" is born of impatience or some rumor sludge somewhere or what, but there's no reason to believe either half of this - that LGP/E harmed your existence by existing, or that they'll be responsible for any kind of delay of any sort of the 2019 iterations.

Patience, people. Constantly asking out loud "when are we going to get information?!" has no answer, helps nothing, makes nothing go faster, and in fact ultimately makes it more difficult on yourselves.