• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Region Hopes and Dreams

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Scandinavia, Canada or Iceland as colder regions. Switserland and Austria, Chili and Argentina would make for beautifull mountainous regions. UK and Germany as a semi-cold ones. Spain and Portugal, Italy, Mexico, Australia, South Africa or India as more tropical ones.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Makes me wonder would a Quebec inspired area of the region have references to Kalos/French culture?

Makes even more sense now, doesn't it?

I so hope the next region is Canada.

kamineko23

I hope the next region is based in Asia again, like China.

Another archipelago country like Indonesia or the Philippines is also good, although with Hawaii used as the base of Alola, I doubt it will happen.

World Turtle

Anyone ever hear the theory that the regions are being chosen if they're popular travel destinations for the Japanese? Given New York, France, and Hawaii have been what we've seen so far...

This article provides the following: China, South Korea, Taiwan, Macau, Hong Kong. Thailand, Vietnam, Hawaii, Guam, France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Philippines, Australia, Malaysia, and Canada.

This one provides some statistics for a number of the above in recent years and including: Singapore, Indonesia, New Zealand, and Austria.

Another idea I have is regions could be based on countries with large number of Japanese immigrants: Brazil, United States (aside from Hawaii there is also Washington, Oregon, and California), Philippines, United Kingdom, Peru, and Canada.
The wiki page on the subject adds more including Mexico, Argentina, Chile, and India.

While NY is not directly mentioned (unless I missed it) I note the Unova Starters were designed with Japanese (Samurai), France (Nobility), and Chinese (Soldier) elements in their design to highlight cultural diversity of the real world location Unova was based on.

Lastly, the Hokulani Observatory in Alola is based on the Mauna Kea Observatories with their telescopes owned by various countries: Canada, France, USA (Hawaii, Arizona (Orre), California), UK, Chile, Australia, Argentina, Brazil, China, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan. All countries I've listed before.

So I am expecting all future regions to be one of those. I guess the next step here is to sort them by:
Urban/Modern
Culture/Traditional
Tropical
Cold

landipan

Maybe somewhere in the Scandinavian will be suitable for this, considering it has strong histories especially with the Vikings where they had a history of piracy at the seas and that the region is cold.

A Scandinavian region would be perfect for me, that's my dream region!

Also I hope the rumors aren't true about a Spain region, at least not right after Alola, we need a break from warm regions. I'd happily take Canada though! A moose Pokemon would be really awesome.

Orphalesion

Also I hope the rumors aren't true about a Spain region, at least not right after Alola, we need a break from warm regions.

The northern part/Atlantic coast of Spain is pretty cold, looks pretty much like in England/Ireland there. And the central highlands (including Madrid) get snow in winter, so there could either be a perma-snow area there or seasons could make a return.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
A Scandinavian region would be perfect for me, that's my dream region!

Also I hope the rumors aren't true about a Spain region, at least not right after Alola, we need a break from warm regions. I'd happily take Canada though! A moose Pokemon would be really awesome.
Yeah, I definitely don’t want a region based off Spain. It’s because I don’t connect too well with the culture there. Somewhere based in Russia will be fine for me too.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Yeah, I definitely don’t want a region based off Spain. It’s because I don’t connect too well with the culture there. Somewhere based in Russia will be fine for me too.

Wouldn't that be more of a reason to have it, though?

What good does having a region based on a country you're familiar with do? I would much prefer a nation I know little about, as it teaches me about that nation.

But before that, Canada! :D

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Maybe a region based off of Africa? It will mean goodbye to snow based areas for the time being (as far as I know, go ahead and correct me if I am wrong) but it would hopefully be interesting, we can have both a Savannah area and a Tropical Rainforest, plus I would personally like to see how they would make a region based off of Africa.

Another option would be a region based off of England, because why not?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Wouldn't that be more of a reason to have it, though?

What good does having a region based on a country you're familiar with do? I would much prefer a nation I know little about, as it teaches me about that nation.

But before that, Canada! :D
If it was so then I would try to do research so that I can become more familiar with its context, etc. I may not be interested at first, but to be honest I just find it more interesting once I’ve done research.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I think Spain would be a pretty cool region to explore. They got Medieval Castles, tons of Latin Architecture from Rome and Carthage, it's the only European country that has monkeys, and we might even get to see parts of France, Portugal, Morocco, and some of the islands surrounding it. Plus exploring a culture that is somewhat alien to you is actually quite fun.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
To be honest the bull fighting thing is the thing I'm going to expect most out of a Spain-based region to make it more unique and to make it more obviously based on Spain and could Tapu Bulu could be used as some sort of base for it. The flamenco dancing thing, especially originating from Baile Style Oricorio, can also solidify the basis on Spain and for such, using things from the Alola region can act as a bridge for such region.

PocketMonsterRealm

Since Crystal
To be honest the bull fighting thing is the thing I'm going to expect most out of a Spain-based region to make it more unique and to make it more obviously based on Spain and could Tapu Bulu could be used as some sort of base for it. The flamenco dancing thing, especially originating from Baile Style Oricorio, can also solidify the basis on Spain and for such, using things from the Alola region can act as a bridge for such region.

You are expecting something based on what basically amounts to "torturing an animal to death"?

i too would expect to see bull fighting too simply because it is such a huge thing in Spain. I would imagine they will have alot of Tauros in it or maybe (though i hope not unless it is fire or steel type) a new kind of bull. Im not sure if the pokemon company would touch base on the ethical side of bull fighting. we do have animal pokemon things battling each other after all as the main part of the game. Maybe they will change it up a bit and make ethical friendly activities/games/competitions with general bull pokemon instead of showing the traditional bull fighting/chasing of spain.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
You are expecting something based on what basically amounts to "torturing an animal to death"?
Well in the eyes of some, certainly. I can definitely see the ethical issues that can arise from that and because it’s something that basically defines Spain, it’s likely to be put into the game in a diluted form.

javimgol

Well, I'm Spanish and frankly it's deeply stupid to cite bullfighting as the most famous part of our culture. It's not very popular now, specially among young people. Our symbol of our culture is Don Quixote, flamenco and tapas.

Spain has thousands of years of history: from Cartago to Iberians, Roman Empire, goths, then the Arab invasion, Middle Ages with the Reconquista, then we discovered America and become the most powerful country in the world for almost two decades, then the ending of the Empire, illustration (one of the first Constitutions of the world) and then modern times.

Culture? So you have Celtic places and Roman structures like colosseum and aqueducts, literally more than a thousand castles, cathedrals, the American influence (we brought chocolate and potatoes to the West), then the Golden Age with the literature of Cervantes and Don Quixote, Calderón, Lope, Quevedo, the art of Velázquez and the Baroque palaces, then in modern times we have Goya paintings and after that the artists Picasso, Dalí and Miró and the new generations of writers, '98 and '27. You could even show something like Zara cloths group, haha.

Spain is a big country with different climates. It's both the European country with more kilometres of beaches and the second after Switzerland with more mountains. The south is warm, the north is rainy, we have two different sets of islands, cold regions somewhere in the middle, Mars like deserts and deep forests.

We are the second country in the world in number of tourists received: Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Seville and Ibiza have astonishing numbers, and other cities like Salamanca, Bilbao, Granada and Toledo are deeply popular too. So many Japanese people know it and have travelled here. Also, I have travelled to Japan, and they really love our culture: I saw in Tokyo a lot of Spanish Tapas restaurants, a few flamenco shows, many animes have Spanish-named characters or themes...

Maybe not for Gen 8, but Spain would be amazing for a Pokemon region.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
[QUOTE="javimgol, post: 18579329, member: Our symbol of our culture is Don Quixote, [/QUOTE]

I had an idea a while before gen7, for us to get a Ground type donkey that would evolve into a Ground/Fighting type inspired by Don Quixote (aka Donkeyote). Needless to say I was excited by Mudbray, and sad by it's Evo. Donkey to horse is kinda depressing.

Thoughts?