• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Region Hopes and Dreams

Ashton Ketchum

As I said early - I would like see as base for new region west of USA. But according to sings and hints in S/M/US/UM, we see region based on Spain. And that's - can be great. Especially - if new region be "the new Johto", like Kalos "the new Kanto" (thanks to many parallels between both regions), and we can return in Kalos thanks to train to Couriway Town.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
As I said early - I would like see as base for new region west of USA. But according to sings and hints in S/M/US/UM, we see region based on Spain. And that's - can be great. Especially - if new region be "the new Johto", like Kalos "the new Kanto" (thanks to many parallels between both regions), and we can return in Kalos thanks to train to Couriway Town.
That is actually a greater idea than you think. Imagine a region based on California or Texas or Mexico. Has a Western/Mad Max look to it. You beat the Elite Four, the Champion, and of course the villainous team known as Cipher returning all these years headed by Ardos, the third successor to the organization. See where I'm going with this? The post-game opens up to you. What is this post-game you probably ask? The Orre Region, based on Arizona, neighboring somewhere in between those locations. You get to see what happened to that region, it's location, and it's characters all these years after being ignored by GameFreak for a long while. You'll hear what may have happened to Wes and Michael of the two previous games. Maybe you'll even hear a reference about the Hoenn and Kanto region through the Sevii Isle's Communication System. Wouldn't that be a fun idea that will probably never happen considering GameFreak's odd relationship with spinoffs.

PocketMonsterRealm

Since Crystal
That is actually a greater idea than you think. Imagine a region based on California or Texas or Mexico. Has a Western/Mad Max look to it. You beat the Elite Four, the Champion, and of course the villainous team known as Cipher returning all these years headed by Ardos, the third successor to the organization. See where I'm going with this? The post-game opens up to you. What is this post-game you probably ask? The Orre Region, based on Arizona, neighboring somewhere in between those locations. You get to see what happened to that region, it's location, and it's characters all these years after being ignored by GameFreak for a long while. You'll hear what may have happened to Wes and Michael of the two previous games. Maybe you'll even hear a reference about the Hoenn and Kanto region through the Sevii Isle's Communication System. Wouldn't that be a fun idea that will probably never happen considering GameFreak's odd relationship with spinoffs.
YES!!! it would be nice to see them do something with the Orre Region. I didnt think it was all that bad.

Cerex

One wish I had is that I hope they get rid of the idea of Pokedollars in the game, specifically the mechanic of you getting money after Pokemon battles with trainers. You just inevitably reach a point where you have so much money and nothing really to spend it on. I would much prefer if players had to scavenge for items or perhaps farm items, which they could sell to the stores for Pokedollars that they could then go out and buy stuff. Maybe your parents give you some starter cash, and maybe there is prize money for defeating the gym leader and Elite Four; however, beyond that cash should be extremely restricted. It could incentivize exploration, trading, and raise the value of items, because you would have to work acquire them. Already, I pretty much use Leppa and Lum berries that are farm in Ultra Moon rather than potions and full heals. The only item you then really need to worry about are revives. I think that is much more inline with the game's story than one in which you seemingly take a random amount of other player's money, like a bully.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
One wish I had is that I hope they get rid of the idea of Pokedollars in the game, specifically the mechanic of you getting money after Pokemon battles with trainers. You just inevitably reach a point where you have so much money and nothing really to spend it on. I would much prefer if players had to scavenge for items or perhaps farm items, which they could sell to the stores for Pokedollars that they could then go out and buy stuff. Maybe your parents give you some starter cash, and maybe there is prize money for defeating the gym leader and Elite Four; however, beyond that cash should be extremely restricted. It could incentivize exploration, trading, and raise the value of items, because you would have to work acquire them. Already, I pretty much use Leppa and Lum berries that are farm in Ultra Moon rather than potions and full heals. The only item you then really need to worry about are revives. I think that is much more inline with the game's story than one in which you seemingly take a random amount of other player's money, like a bully.
That's not only a great idea but it could even be better! For example, BP items can also be bought with Pokedollars that isn't easily gained through beating every Pokemon trainer you come across... although... it's still possible to hoard a lot of Pokedollars through your way too as it's nothing new in other games like Skyrim which is jokingly infamous for that.

Cerex

That's not only a great idea but it could even be better! For example, BP items can also be bought with Pokedollars that isn't easily gained through beating every Pokemon trainer you come across... although... it's still possible to hoard a lot of Pokedollars through your way too as it's nothing new in other games like Skyrim which is jokingly infamous for that.
Honestly, the only direct sources of cash in the game I would like is some initial starter money, defeating the gyms, maybe a couple of treasure boxes, and the Elite Four when you initially become champion. Any other source of revenue would have to be traded in for items found, like the Relic items, and traded in at stores for cash. I think my way would limit hoarding just because you would need to spend Pokedollars on necessary items like Revives, TMs, etc. Like, I wouldn't want it to get EA The Sims kind of crazy; however, I think it's a wasted opportunity to incentivize exploration in the game's world. It should certainly be the case that the total amount of different available cash in the game is not sufficient to buy all of the necessary items, thus requiring players to explore and trade in items for revenue.

I think a place where you could exchange Pokedollars for BP too wouldn't be a bad idea. I like the idea of different ways of earning Battle Points that was introduced in Ultra Sun/Moon.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I would be mildly horrified to hear that the eighth generation is in any way related to spinoff regions. I sent even want to return to an established region.

But how would a character be able to purchase anything not designated as a necessity? And decorations for your room or a Secret Base, clothing items that are nicer than the starting set, TMs that aren't found in the overworld...

If the amount of money in the game was limited, compared to how it is now, you'd spend it primarily on Poke Balls and healing items (most of which cannot be replaced with berries that only heal a little).

I do like the idea of making the player more self-sufficient and incentivizing us to grow materials - but how would that be implemented successfully? I feel like the item structure of the game would have to be altered for that; you'd need new berries and other farmable items that heal more or revive Pokemon, and some that are more valuable so that a player's primary source of income could be self-grown items.

Cerex

But how would a character be able to purchase anything not designated as a necessity? And decorations for your room or a Secret Base, clothing items that are nicer than the starting set, TMs that aren't found in the overworld...

If the amount of money in the game was limited, compared to how it is now, you'd spend it primarily on Poke Balls and healing items (most of which cannot be replaced with berries that only heal a little).

I do like the idea of making the player more self-sufficient and incentivizing us to grow materials - but how would that be implemented successfully? I feel like the item structure of the game would have to be altered for that; you'd need new berries and other farmable items that heal more or revive Pokemon, and some that are more valuable so that a player's primary source of income could be self-grown items.

On the issue of TMs, they can be earned through completing sidequests or being found throughout the region, much like they are now. Ultra Sun/Moon introduced many sidequests that weren't actually very useful in expanding gameplay, which typically in JRPGs sidequests, mainly in part because all of the good items still were delivered in the traditional methods. Imagine if after completing the Hypno crime sidequests you received the TM Dream Eater, or after the Mimikyu event you received Shadow Claw. Even if 1/3 or TMs are still found in the wild, and 1/3 at various stores that are unlocked as you progress the story, if another 1/3 was exclusive to complete sidequests that would be over 30 sidequests alone right there.

The only healing item that does not have a comparable berry equivalent are Revives. It's true no berry currently fully recovers HP, but players can farm them, and they are essentially unlimited. Additionally, more potent berries can be introduced to fill the gap.

Also, I'm not proposing that the total amount of money available in the game to be fixed, but rather that there is a finite amount of cash that the player will have given to them through the main story. Outside of that the player would have to collect items, either by farming or treasure hunting, and selling those items to gain additional cash. Whereas in the past you could just keep battling the Elite Four to get more money to buy more things, if the only gave you money once, as a prize for becoming champion, you could have to go and explore others areas of the game to find the stuff to sell to earn more money.

Already in US/UM outside of revives I don't use any other healing items. I grow Sitrus and Lum Berries, and I have several hundreds of each, and Leppa berries for PP. Leppa Berries being a much more cost effective and available method of PP recovery than Elixirs, which are difficult to find, and actually limited in the game.

So long as farming and treasure hunting is introduced early in the game, and players are informed that cash will be much more limited than in previous titles, everything will be fine.

Rune Knight

This is going to be long...!

Alaska/Northern based region; Canada, Antartica, etc. It would be a nice contrast to its predecessor Alola which had a warmer vibe.

The games would be called Pokemon Past/Future

Starters:
Grass Black Bear Cub -> -> Grass/Dark Black Bear
Fire Bunny -> -> Fire/Ground Hare
Water Puffin -> -> Water/Flying Eagle

Regionals:
Normal Rodent: Muskrat
Electric Rodent: Electric/Ground Guinea Pig
Flying Bird: Chickadee
Bug: Bug/Fire Firefly

Fossil Pokemon:
Rock/Ground Woolly Mammoth (Past)
Flying/Ground Gastornis (Future)

Pseudo:
Ice/Water Narwal

*Fossil Pokemon would play a big role in Pokemon Past as the game would tackle time travelling to the prehistoric times of the Pokemon world.
*That's not to say that there wouldn't be any Fossil Pokemon in Pokemon Future.
*Pokemon Future would tackle time travelling to the Future.
*Either Celebi or another Pokemon with Time Traveling capabilities would play a major role in the game, also catch-able later on.
*There would be a Steel/Electric Robot-based Pokemon with its own evolution line only found in Pokemon Future.
*There would be a Psychic Toy based Pokemon, or maybe one based on Lego that can rebuild itself when hit.
*An Ice Coyote Pokemon with its own evolution line, later evolves into a dire wolf.
*A Water Platypus with an evolution line.
*A Normal/Dark Badger with an evolution line.
*Water/Dark Orca Whale with an evolution line.
*A Fighting cat that evolves into a Lynx then into a saber-tooth tiger.

*A few already existing Pokemon would receive evolutions/pre-evolutions.
*Mimikyu would get an evolution and evolve into Pikaboo.
*Lapras would get a pre-evolution.
*Stantler evolves into a Normal/Rock Moose.
*The number of new Pokemon would not exceed 75.
*This is in order to make room for a few new megas.
*Z moves also make a return.
*1 New Ultra Beast.

Story:
*The games take place after S/M and during Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee.
*The professor of the region is a historical researcher who tasks your character in assisting him/her in uncovering Pokemon history.
*No gym badges. However, if it's not asking too much, a post-game league might work.
*Instead of a league, the game focuses on the conflict that's going on in the region.
*There would be nods to previous pokemon games; including appearances of previous characters.
*The Villainous team wants to harness Celebi's power to open up a time-gate so that they can manipulate time themselves.
*In Pokemon Past; you hear of a legend about a powerful Pokemon that once lived and set to return alongside a powerful trainer to save the world. You end up going back in time and catching the Pokemon yourself, returning to the present and fulfilling the legend.
*In Pokemon Future; it is foretold that a powerful Pokemon will one day exist and save the world alongside a powerful trainer. You end up going to the future, catching the Pokemon; returning to the present and fulfilling the prophecy.
*The space-time continuem gets broken and you have to stop it from engulfing the Pokemon world.
*The Final battle is not between you and a trainer, but against a Pokemon.
*Post-game content would involve the new Ultra Beast, ultra wormholes, and the Pokemon Multiverse.
*You get to choose between the Johto starters which later get mega evolutions.
*Post-game league.

*Open World Game.
*Camera controls would be optional; you can either play with the classic rpg-based top view camera, or third person like in BotW.
*Following Pokemon like in LGP/LGE.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I've been studying the First Nations of BC in college this year, and would absolutely love a region based on it. It would be really cool if each city corresponded to one specific indigenous group and represented them. Like, the electric gym could be in the city in Kwakwaka'wakw territory (the thunderbird is pretty prominent with them), the grass gym could be on Haida Gwaii (Haida are well known for their wood carving), the ground gym could be in Secwépemc territory (that area is famous for its pithouses) etc. And there could be plenty of cool pokémon designs based on their lore and similar things. Maybe there could be legendaries based on the trickster characters (raven, mink, coyote, jay, etc.), and there could probably be a whale pokémon for the southern Vancouver Island area (whaling is a big cultural feature of the Nuu chah nulth), and possibly also a pokémon that could use Bone Club to represent the actual use of whale bone clubs. I'd also love to see a Copper pokémon (maybe a new steel type?) and it would be neat for there to be a salmon pokémon that evolved into a sisiutl-type serpent to be magikarp's successor (salmon were supposed to turn into these double-headed serpents much like carp became dragons in Eastern Asia). Also, considering that area has well known legends where salmon can be eaten and have their bones turn into people unharmed, it'd be cool to give the salmon pokémon 2 forms, one like a fish, and one like a human, maybe its ability gives it a second HP bar, and it would turn into a human with full HP again instead of fainting, but any hits done to its fish form would heal the attacker by the same amount of damage done to it? Might be cool to incorporate that legend somehow. Also, a fire/water eulachon pokémon would be really neat too!

I'm honestly really crossing my fingers Alaska won't be the next region, because that would not only be a 3rd region based on somewhere in the United States (so far, the games have only taken place in 3 countries, I'd really prefer more diversity than that), but it also would probably be too close to BC to allow for it to ever become a region of its own.

Guyana's second on my hopes list, especially considering it's got precedent already in the pokémon world (it's mew's native homeland, apparently). Kaieteur Falls would make a great attraction, and it would be cool to have a local common bird which was a kiskedee that evolved into a cattle egret. To think of it, the continents of the southern hemisphere have been pretty largely ignored so far. Except for Oceania, which was represented by the second region based on one of the United States :/ Really, it would be great to add South America and Africa to the Pokémon world somehow. In the latter's case, probably Subsaharan would be better; as much as I love Egypt, it's already got its fair share of references in pokémon, while the rest of the continent is pretty conspicuously absent in terms of representation.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Let's see. Not too much to my surprise.

1. A difficulty range. If this really is more akin to traditional pokemon games with some changes I want a difficulty. They can make one. I want some more difficulty other than putting my game on set and a nucklocke thank you very much.

2. A region not based off the US. Unova and ORAS was fine, but after playing through SM we can do something a bit less tropical, right? I love my island regions but I'm starting to hit a bit of burnout. I want something a bit more colder or a mix like Kalos did with it's seasonal region changes. I just don't want to be in another island region for while.

3. An easier way to breed pokemon with IVs that are less tedious. That Taurus spot in the ranch in SM is useful, but it gets old fast. I think they should just go the traditional route and have it so after each battle you gain EVs and you manually put them into the stat you desire. It's much easier yo do than RNG.

4. Less railroading. I get it. I was one of the people who went through the game on their first try only using their starter. I understand that kids will be kids, but at the same time that should not come to the expense of the gameplay. Either make the game harder so people have to use different pokemon or just balance out the gameplay more so there's more of a sense of challenge. Basic tutorials are fine, but having an option to skip them won't hurt anyone. Just have an option to say "no". Not say no and have them explain it anyways, just have it skip it. It's that not hard. Also, the option to skip cutscene after your first play through would be nice.

5. A sizable amount of pokemon. I'm not asking for a 1000 pokemon anytime soon, but I still want more than 90 at least. 70 is pitiful.

That's it really.

Ultra Beast Lover

I would LOVE for them to revisit the Orre Region. Would be so much fun, and a desert type of region would be awesome.
I'd love it, they'd probably change a lot of things but I'd still like to return there.

Personally I would like a region with an extreme climate, it'll have grass and mountains but I honestly find going through long stretches of desert or snow then finally finding the next town just as my Pokemon are about to faint oddly fun.

Acer11

I thought of 5 possibilities myself: Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, And Africa (Don't know which parts of those places)

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
...Middle Ages with the Reconquista, then we discovered America and become the most powerful country in the world for almost two decades...

Well, if we're being honest, you didn't actually discover America. You just paid an Italian guy to steal it.

Outside of that, I do think Spain would make a very interesting region, especially given its incredible culture an heritage. I think there's a lot of room for Ghost types that'll actually fit the nature of the region, contrary to Unova, where none of the Ghost pokemon fit the region.

I thought of 5 possibilities myself: Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, And Africa (Don't know which parts of those places)

Nigeria, Egypt, and Uganda come to mind.

Uganda and Egypt, given their close association with the Nile River, could actually be combined to make one massive region. Also, seeing a Pokémon version of the Mountains of the Moon would be dope.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
Cameroon, the Democratic Republic of the congo, and South Africa are three of the most biodiverse parts of the African continent. Any one of them can make a great region.

Orphalesion

Well Kilimanjaro is in Tanzania. Knowing very little of Tanzania except some geography, I guess it would make a pretty good region.
Lake Victoria would be another interesting natural landmark on the border of Tanzania, same with the great rift valley.

Looking at a map, Tanzania might actually make a good region, it's borders seem to consist largely of various lakes.