• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Region Hopes and Dreams

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Africa is a goddamn continent... Its not a region if it's a continent.
True but same could also be said for an Australian based region and no one said it had to be ALL of Africa.

Orphalesion

I think "Australia" and "Africa" get said so often, despite being too ridiculously huge to be regions because there's not that many Australian and especially not African users on her (or users who are knowledgeable about those places) when compared to American and, maybe, European ones. So there's just less people who know enough about Australia and Africa to say: Hey, let's base a region on Victoria or Northern Queensland for Australia or....uh....Tunisia? for Africa. I mean Tunisia appears to be small enough but it's probably not the type of Africa people expect when asking for an "African" region. Egypt might work if they focus on the river Nile and it's mouths? But again that's not what most people imagine when you say "Africa"

Captain Jigglypuff

I think "Australia" and "Africa" get said so often, despite being too ridiculously huge to be regions because there's not that many Australian and especially not African users on her (or users who are knowledgeable about those places) when compared to American and, maybe, European ones. So there's just less people who know enough about Australia and Africa to say: Hey, let's base a region on Victoria or Northern Queensland for Australia or....uh....Tunisia? for Africa. I mean Tunisia appears to be small enough but it's probably not the type of Africa people expect when asking for an "African" region. Egypt might work if they focus on the river Nile and it's mouths? But again that's not what most people imagine when you say "Africa"
With Australia you could get away with using several parts and combine them to form one region like how Unova was created.

Orphalesion

With Australia you could get away with using several parts and combine them to form one region like how Unova was created.

Unova was pasted together from different parts of America? I thought it was just Manhattan with some more diversity in biomes. Shows how much I know about the US.

And yeah, I guess with Australia you'd pretty much have to do that and shrink some distances in order to give people all they would expect of an "Australian" region. Like move the Reef to wherever you want to set the region and move the desert and hinterland/bush closer to the coast. Most people would probably not be that interested in the vat expanses of identical-looking farmland that are between the desert and coast.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Unova was pasted together from different parts of America? I thought it was just Manhattan with some more diversity in biomes. Shows how much I know about the US.

I guess with Australia you'd pretty much have to do shrink some distances in order to give people all they would expect of an "Australian" region. Like move the Reef to wherever you want to set the region and move the desert and hinterland/bush closer to the coast. Most people would probably not be that interested in the vat expanses of identical-looking farmland that are between the desert and coast.
Unova actually was based on NYC, with some of the BW2 exclusive areas based on parts of New Jersey.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
No you’re right. Unova is based mostly on the Manhattan area with only Virbank being partially based on New Jersey.

Captain Jigglypuff

No you’re right. Unova is based mostly on the Manhattan area with only Virbank being partially based on New Jersey.
Well the desert is clearly based on the southwestern part of the US. Manhattan and by extension New York has no actual desert. And the area where the Strange House is located is also clearly inspired by Southwestern US given its architectural design and the design of the buildings in nearby Lentimas Town.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I wish we don't get many Legendary/mythical Pokemon in Gen 8. I never really cared for them since I don't use any on my team, I believe they're overpowered.

And not legal in most places of competition battle.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Well the desert is clearly based on the southwestern part of the US. Manhattan and by extension New York has no actual desert. And the area where the Strange House is located is also clearly inspired by Southwestern US given its architectural design and the design of the buildings in nearby Lentimas Town.
No Unova covers a lot of NY ground with the desert being based on the World Trade Center site (with the buildings under construction resembling that of destroyed buildings and the rubble being inspiration for a desert.

Now of course there’s places like the Village Bridge resembling Ponte Vecchio but Unova is more or less based upon a part of New York.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
If there were to be a region based off Australia, it would likely be New South Wales with parts of Victoria and Queensland migrated closer together. The issue with Australia is... there just isn't much here. It's mostly empty space. Even the capital city has large stretches of empty land between... Hmm this might sound confusing. So we call them suburbs but they're essentially pockets of businesses with some housing around them.

What I'm trying to say is they would need to add a lot in order to make it interesting because it's mostly flat plains of noting. Not to mention, I feel like it would just be stereotypical BS for the most part... Australia is literally nothing like the stereotypes.

Orphalesion

Not to mention, I feel like it would just be stereotypical BS for the most part.

But that's what you're gonna get with every region that's outside of Japan. it's always gonna be a Japanese Tourist's version of that real life place.
Really, if you look at interviews even Hoenn is a Tokyo tourist's version of Kyushu.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
But that's what you're gonna get with every region that's outside of Japan. it's always gonna be a Japanese Tourist's version of that real life place.
Really, if you look at interviews even Hoenn is a Tokyo tourist's version of Kyushu.

I only went to Kyushu once while living in Japan and I can honestly say Hoenn has the same aesthetic (to an outsider at least). I've never once seen an accurate depiction of Australia in media from outside the country.

Nodame

Misty <3
I hope they bring back the day/night themes again like in Generation IV/VII. Really helps with the atmosphere of the region imo (was hoping they would have done night themes for the routes in Alola but still)!
I just don’t want the day/night to be connected to your current local time ( Switch Clock).