• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Starters Evolution and Secondary Typing Predictions

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Um, Delphox? Being based on the Oracle at Delphi and all. And Braixen is a magical girl.

How did I not remember that was thought as Delphox's inspiration? I should pay attention more.
Anyways, I agree that Delphox can be seen as having some feminine features, despite the overall inspirations from general magic / magic users. I also thought its appearance is more robe-like, which I associate with both genders of magic users.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Baixen is the best 2nd mid evo among ALL gen starters. In my opinion.

firepanda

Thinking about it, if I have any preference toward the newer starters, that may be the reason why. The older generations really had no option for a more elegant, feminine starter arguably outside of Blaziken in Gen III.

I'd call Meganium pretty 'feminine'.

It's a very subjective call though. Which starters are especially 'masculine'? Incineroar and ...Infernape?

https://www.deviantart.com/namo19/art/Grookey-Evo-790002713

This thing is so awesome I just had to share. Props to the artist Namo19.

God, I love that design so much.

Gamefreak's never really done a 'creepy' starter design before — and probably never will. It's a shame, because I would be so keen.

DannyDark

Yeah in terms of femininity, I'd say the possibilities are..

1. Primarina (very much so)
2. Delphox
3. Meganium
4. Serperior

Then again it's hard to define what is meant by femininity.. If we're talking cute and soft, then I wouldn't count Delphox as, although it has a clearly female-inspired design, it doesn't really exude those particular suggestions of femininity. On the other hand, Meganium exudes cuteness but its design isn't really particularly feminine. And then Serperior is a whole other kettle of fish where I'd say it exudes a regality that is reminiscent of a queen in particular, and so feminine in nature.

So in some ways yes, some ways no, I'd say these four could be argued to be feminine.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
So sorta a random thought but.....

What's up with all the fake leaks trying to Push Grookey becoming a Grass/Fighting or Grass/Ground type? And even a few suggesting Grass/Normal

I mean I kinda get the Grass/Fighting, but not really. Like I get the idea of a monkey with a stick eventually becoming a Fighting type.... but not really.

But that Grass/Ground combo is pushed almost as much.

Meanwhile the fake leaks suggest Fire/Electric, Fire/Fairy, and Fire/Steel for Scorbunny's final form. Sobble line gets Water/Poison, Water/Ghost, and even several Water/Dragon.

Just saying are fake leakers trolling Grookey line, or do we really think it's bound to repeat a Grass starter type combo aka /Fighting or /Ground (or do we really think it might get the first /Normal final form?)

All I gotta say those are not my top choices.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor

What's up with all the fake leaks trying to Push Grookey becoming a Grass/Fighting or Grass/Ground type? And even a few suggesting Grass/Normal

I mean I kinda get the Grass/Fighting, but not really. Like I get the idea of a monkey with a stick eventually becoming a Fighting type.... but not really.

Meanwhile the fake leaks suggest Fire/Electric, Fire/Fairy, and Fire/Steel for Scorbunny's final form. Sobble line gets Water/Poison, Water/Ghost, and even several Water/Dragon.

Just saying are fake leakers trolling Grookey line, or do we really think it's bound to repeat a Grass starter type combo aka /Fighting or /Ground (or do we really think it might get the first /Normal final form?)

Yeah I've seen ground and rock thrown around a lot for my gremlin baby. Personally if they were going the music route I'd prefer fairy over anything.

Scorbunny has had the most suggestions offered and honestly I'd prefer steel over electric but both are better than any other suggestion.

Sobble... Honestly Sobble ranks up there with Poplio as one of my least favourite starters and I don't really care what it turns out to be. Poison would be the coolest one but eh. Screw it, imma call fighting 'coz why not. Sobble will be water/fighting.

firepanda

• I'd guess people are saying ground/rock/fighting for Grookey because they expect him to become the 'bulky' starter, probably a gorilla. (Those types tend to be bulky, and he's already kinda chubby.)
  • Likewise, electric or fairy for Scorbunny because he seems like the 'speedy' starter, and those types tend to be faster than average. Also, people like novel type combinations.
  • Poison or dragon for Sobble would probably because lizards tend to be those types.
It's super unimaginative though. Since Gen V, Gamefreak have always tried to have the starters evolve in unexpected ways, into unexpected types. I guarantee that there will be some extra aspect to every starter's final form, which will inform their second type. (e.g. Fighter/Mage/Rogue for the gen VI starters, archery/wrestling/singing for the gen VII ones).

It's why I liked the fakes from a while back that showed Grookey evolving into a fencer (as in real-life evolution). It's exactly the sort of thing Gamefreak would do.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I actually hope Gamefreak can rein back putting a twist on starter evolutions for now. For two gen we had only humanoid evolutions taking human roles/abilities (knight, mage, ninja, archer, wrestler, idol).

It would be great if this time at least one of them could just be an animal like we used to have. It could feel "unimaginative", but at this point less could be more... at least it would be a change.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I just can’t imagine a pretty monkey :( for a final evolution for Grookey.
Although, it will most likely have a music theme. Every translation name for Grookey has something to do with music.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Of course you can! You just have to think harder!

Also I never viewed Primarina as a humanoid like the other recent starters. Doesn’t stand on two legs!
It's still a pinniped, but it is now more like a mermaid. You're right.

anjunajake

you were the sun & moon to me
I second the sentiment that I want to the starters this time to remain with more of an an animal like form rather than humanoid. But I stand by my hopes of fairy/steel/dragon for secondary typing. Although I do admit a water/poison would be cool for a starter as well.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

I think it’s mainly because those are the most speculated Types