• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Starters Evolution and Secondary Typing Predictions

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
If you have to give a secondary typing to a bulky gorilla, Fighting, Ground and Rock are obvious choices.
  • Pokemon of those types often have decent defensive stats.
  • Gorillas are muscular, terrestrial animals.
I think it's really unimaginative thinking.

I'll agree with most of that. It is quite unimaginative. At least for the /Fighting and /Ground. And I think the reason most have for the /Rock is silly.

I thought Grass/Rock not cause it called a Rock but because I want that typing on a starter, and because I imagined it's little stick becoming a stone hammer by it's final form....before we had a better understanding of it's name.

I think far as the big bulky and heavy gorrila goes Grass/Steel seems more fitting than Grass/Ground or really Grass/Fighting, but that may be personal biased against repeating type combos in starters.

My current favorite ideas is a Grass/Dark type final stage that's a mischievous howler monkey or baboon and it's stick had become hollow and it uses it to play music to manipulate fauna as well as others. (Named Manipulape).

DSDark

Breeder
I'll agree with most of that. It is quite unimaginative. At least for the /Fighting and /Ground. And I think the reason most have for the /Rock is silly.

I thought Grass/Rock not cause it called a Rock but because I want that typing on a starter, and because I imagined it's little stick becoming a stone hammer by it's final form....before we had a better understanding of it's name.

I think far as the big bulky and heavy gorrila goes Grass/Steel seems more fitting than Grass/Ground or really Grass/Fighting, but that may be personal biased against repeating type combos in starters.

My current favorite ideas is a Grass/Dark type final stage that's a mischievous howler monkey or baboon and it's stick had become hollow and it uses it to play music to manipulate fauna as well as others. (Named Manipulape).

I'm actually starting to think that Grookey will go the way of the feminine starter. I've already had a bulky grass starter recently, Chesnaught. However Grookey's line, if it's going feminine has to have some way of distancing itself from Infernape, a slender monkey. Grookey's final form is going to be interesting. There's a very fine line that It'll have to tread.

I feel sobble has similar problems. Swampert is already a bulky reptilian pokemon and Greninja is slender reptilian pokemon. I do think it'll be bulky it just has some how distance itself from Swampert

Scorbunny though I think has less of a problem if it's going slender and stealthy. Only infernape is similar to that description.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I follow the speculations solely through fanarts (general dislike for youtubers) and I think I am yet to see one Grass/Ground guess.

From what I see, the most picked options as Grass/Fighting (for bulky gorilla or nimble fighter/musician monkey), Grass/Rock (also for bulky gorilla) and Grass/Psychic (for monkey shaman). The big majority of guesses seem to go between those three concepts and typings.

KKS-Lapras

Your post got me thinking, what about a Grass/Rock, or Grass/Steel lumber-jack gorilla. Instead of a hammer like you suggested above, what about an ax?

Illusio

No words, only rage
I'm actually starting to think that Grookey will go the way of the feminine starter. I've already had a bulky grass starter recently, Chesnaught. However Grookey's line, if it's going feminine has to have some way of distancing itself from Infernape, a slender monkey. Grookey's final form is going to be interesting. There's a very fine line that It'll have to tread.

I feel sobble has similar problems. Swampert is already a bulky reptilian pokemon and Greninja is slender reptilian pokemon. I do think it'll be bulky it just has some how distance itself from Swampert

Scorbunny though I think has less of a problem if it's going slender and stealthy. Only infernape is similar to that description.

I don't think they care that much about that. Both Blastoise and Torterra are bulky turtles and it didn't upset anyone, so Grookey being slim or Sobble being bulky probably wouldn't either. Sobble also not an amphibian like Swampert or Greninja, so that's already one way it will stand out from them.

Dragon Pulse

I'm quite surprised not many people have said Grass/Dark, considering as it has been labelled as "mischievous" (on the SWSH website). I mean, yes, monkeys and chimps ARE mischievous, but it is worth a thought.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Your post got me thinking, what about a Grass/Rock, or Grass/Steel lumber-jack gorilla. Instead of a hammer like you suggested above, what about an ax?

I'd be game for that..... Except the theme in the name suggest it's a musical monkey.

I am hoping Grass/Fairy for Grookey.

It be a fun combo for sure.... Only issue I have is since it looks like Grookey is going to be somehow music themed that be 2 musical /Fairy type starters in a row.... So my personal preference is for them to do something slightly different with the music theme.

I'm quite surprised not many people have said Grass/Dark, considering as it has been labelled as "mischievous" (on the SWSH website). I mean, yes, monkeys and chimps ARE mischievous, but it is worth a thought.

Exactly. Most are focusing on the fact they think most monkeys could be /Fighting that Grookey should be. I'd really like to seem them play into the mischievousness and make it a /Dark type. I was thinking of all kinds of stories of forest dwelling spirits and what not that are mischievous and what not, Puck, Peter Pan, heck even Skull Kid from Zelda. And sure that could work for Grass/Fairy, but I think Grass/Dark be more interesting for it.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Base stages can be misleading. Remember when we all thought Litten would evolve to Fire/Poison because of his oil-secreting fur? But I would really like if Grookey mischievous side was focused on, that would probably mean his evolution going a way that would please me way more than all the options considered until now.

firepanda

I guess the 'personalities' are less informative for me, because they can change so much between forms. e.g. for the gen 7 starters:
  • Cheerful Rowlet -> Cool Decidueye
  • Depressed Litten -> Angry Incineroar
  • Playful Poplio -> Graceful Primarina
Grookey is mischievous for now, but it could plausibly become an angry gorilla, a jolly howler monkey or a sombre old man of the forest. Anything's possible.

KKS-Lapras

I guess the 'personalities' are less informative for me, because they can change so much between forms. e.g. for the gen 7 starters:
Grookey is mischievous for now, but it could plausibly become an angry gorilla, a jolly howler monkey or a sombre old man of the forest. Anything's possible.

I don't want it be the aggressive starter, I know one always tends to take that role, but when I look at it, I want to the be the starter that matures so to speak, becomes like a wise sage like Pokemon. I don't know why I see that when I look at Grookey.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
This time, I prefer if the starters stay monotype. They can keep them this way and still make them special.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Base stages can be misleading. Remember when we all thought Litten would evolve to Fire/Poison because of his oil-secreting fur? But I would really like if Grookey mischievous side was focused on, that would probably mean his evolution going a way that would please me way more than all the options considered until now.
Yes. You can never be sure of what a starter will become just by looking at its base stage.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
To be fair, the original description had Popplio as "both frivolous and hard working". And Litten was described as being coolheaded and never letting its "emotions show on the surface" - similarly, Incineroar is described as vicious but keeping a "cool attitude" even when "in its heart of hearts, Incineroar is immensely happy".

I would say both kept their main personality traits as they evolved. Rowlet is impossible to tell because no personality traits were given in its description.

firepanda

To be fair, the original description had Popplio as "both frivolous and hard working". And Litten was described as being coolheaded and never letting its "emotions show on the surface" - similarly, Incineroar is described as vicious but keeping a "cool attitude" even when "in its heart of hearts, Incineroar is immensely happy".

I would say both kept their main personality traits as they evolved. Rowlet is impossible to tell because no personality traits were given in its description.

That's true. I still wouldn't say that those personality traits had any predictive power though. To find a starter where the first form's personality clearly informed its final form, you'd have to go back to ...Snivy?

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
https://mobile.twitter.com/princejcr/status/1109631601535795201

See another one where they label Grookey Evo as Grass/Ground.

I think it's just frustrating as a fan of Grass starters feeling like we are getting left out on the fun new unique combo of a starter.

Still hoping Grookey ends up something new to Grass starters though. Grass/Rock be fun, but I'm worried about that combo as I think we may be getting a special attack focused Grass starter (the last was Sceptile in gen3) and there isn't exactly that many options when it comes to special Rock attacks.

I still like the idea of Grass/Dark and Grass/Fairy... The prior moreso than the latter. Grass/Psychic could be interesting too.

Random left field ideas like a Grass/Electric, Grass/Ice, or Grass/Steel seem unlikely but fun possibilities.

And then the not gonna happen option of Grass/Bug is just to fun to ignore.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
So random thought about Grookey line.

It seems it's name involves groove.
Another language has tempo, and another still rhythm.

So we assume it will have to do with music, specially with it having a stick it seems to hit on the ground (a rock).

But what if it actually has nothing to do with sound and more to do with motion, or more specfically dance.

Like it grooves aka dances. It has rhythm and tempo to it's motions...

Thoughts?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
So random thought about Grookey line.

It seems it's name involves groove.
Another language has tempo, and another still rhythm.

So we assume it will have to do with music, specially with it having a stick it seems to hit on the ground (a rock).

But what if it actually has nothing to do with sound and more to do with motion, or more specfically dance.

Like it grooves aka dances. It has rhythm and tempo to it's motions...

Thoughts?
A lot of Grookey's translations have music connections, as far as I know.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
A lot of Grookey's translations have music connections, as far as I know.

That's what I mean, we assume it's music as in sound. What if it's actually music as in dance. And the stick is just sorta a red herring.