• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Starters Evolution and Secondary Typing Predictions

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
While I don't necessarily care what types the starters end up becoming, I do not think Sobble will end up Water/Dragon simply because it seems like the games seem to treat Dragon types as being more powerful or "special" than the other types. Sobble being a Dragon type would give it something over the other two starters, would basically be communicating that Sobble is more "special" or "powerful" than the other two starters. It would probably also establish it as the Greninja or Incineroar of the generation - the Creator's Pet starter that GF plays favorites with.

Also, if Sobble is Water/Dragon, Grass/Fairy would be a virtual lock for Grookey so that it would be able to hit Sobble for super effective damage (and even then, Grass/Fairy would mean Scorbunny would completely wall Grookey since Fire resists both Grass and Fairy).

I don't think there will ever be a Dragon type starter outside of Mega Charizard X tbh.

ShadowForce720

While I don't necessarily care what types the starters end up becoming, I do not think Sobble will end up Water/Dragon simply because it seems like the games seem to treat Dragon types as being more powerful or "special" than the other types. Sobble being a Dragon type would give it something over the other two starters, would basically be communicating that Sobble is more "special" or "powerful" than the other two starters. It would probably also establish it as the Greninja or Incineroar of the generation - the Creator's Pet starter that GF plays favorites with.

Also, if Sobble is Water/Dragon, Grass/Fairy would be a virtual lock for Grookey so that it would be able to hit Sobble for super effective damage (and even then, Grass/Fairy would mean Scorbunny would completely wall Grookey since Fire resists both Grass and Fairy).

I don't think there will ever be a Dragon type starter outside of Mega Charizard X tbh.

Well considering the Fairy type is a thing I don't think have Sobble's final evolution would be that problematic as for the argument that Grookey would be completely walled by Scorbunny, I think it's important to point out that the Kalos starters pratically walled each other when it came to their typings and yet when you look at their move pool they had some moves that helped overcome that. So if Grookey's final evolution was Grass/Fairy it would likely be able to learn so Rock, or Ground type moves to counter Scorbunny's final evolution.

Also while's it's true that Dragon type is a powerful type it is also true that it isn't as powerful or problematic as it once was. So while I'm not saying that Sobble will definitely become a Water/Dragon type pokemon, at the same time I don't think there really is anything that would prevent there being a starter that is part Dragon eventually.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Today, I've come up with a tweet mentioning the starters might be based on Yokai:

Grookey: Satori (Mind-reading supernatural monsters/apes).
Scorbunny: Moon Rabbit.
Sobble: Imori (Ghosts of dead warriors transformed into geckos.)

Honestly, I'd be totally OK for the trio to follow such a pattern in case if they would potentially end up as Grass/Psychic, Fire/Fairy and Water/Ghost.
Didn't they already do mind-reading apes with Oranguru though? I desperately want Scorbunny to be Fire/Fairy. Sobble will probably just be a dragon or sea serpent.

Honestly my only concern with Grookey line going /Psychic is this. We just got a /Psychic monkey/ape. So it feels a little too soon.

That said we only have 2 lines with this type. One just got an alternate type combo in a regional variant. And the other is a mythical. One is from gen1 the other from gen2. So it's been along time since we have gotten a Grass/Psychic.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Honestly my only concern with Grookey line going /Psychic is this. We just got a /Psychic monkey/ape. So it feels a little too soon.

That said we only have 2 lines with this type. One just got an alternate type combo in a regional variant. And the other is a mythical. One is from gen1 the other from gen2. So it's been along time since we have gotten a Grass/Psychic.
Grass/psychic, grass/fairy, and grass/dark are the biggest contenders imo, and all would be nice to have more of. Grass/fairy might be more on the redundant side with two grass/fairy types in sun and moon but grass/dark would be just as nice as we only have one of those too I believe.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Grass/psychic, grass/fairy, and grass/dark are the biggest contenders imo, and all would be nice to have more of. Grass/fairy might be more on the redundant side with two grass/fairy types in sun and moon but grass/dark would be just as nice as we only have one of those too I believe.

Agree with ya there. Much as I'd enjoy seeing a Grass/Fairy type starter, of the three you mentioned it be the most redundant. Partially because we just got 2 new Grass/Fairy types last gen, but also because we actually have more Grass/Fairy lines than either of the other 2 you mentioned. Meanwhile we haven't seen a new Grass/Psychic since gen2 and the only Grass/Dark types are from gen3.

Add to that we had a /Fairy type sound starter last gen in Primarina, it just fell like too much overlap. (That said I'd prefer Grass/Fairy over a Grass/Ground or Grass/Fighting Evo for Grookey as at least it's an original type to the Grass starters).

I think between Grass/Psychic and Grass/Dark I favor Grass/Dark more. Mostly because currently I'm very interested in the notion of a /Dark mischievous forest monkey prankster.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Add to that we had a /Fairy type sound starter last gen in Primarina, it just fell like too much overlap. (That said I'd prefer Grass/Fairy over a Grass/Ground or Grass/Fighting Evo for Grookey as at least it's an original type to the Grass starters).
Especially considering the fact that Grookey will most likely also have a music theme, and two music themed part Fairy starters in a row would be very repetitive.

DSDark

Breeder
Agree with ya there. Much as I'd enjoy seeing a Grass/Fairy type starter, of the three you mentioned it be the most redundant. Partially because we just got 2 new Grass/Fairy types last gen, but also because we actually have more Grass/Fairy lines than either of the other 2 you mentioned. Meanwhile we haven't seen a new Grass/Psychic since gen2 and the only Grass/Dark types are from gen3.

I think between Grass/Psychic and Grass/Dark I favor Grass/Dark more. Mostly because currently I'm very interested in the notion of a /Dark mischievous forest monkey prankster.

I don't see Grookey being /Fairy or /Fighting. We just had a Grass/Fighting in Chesnaught and if Grookey is music themed having two /Fairy music pokemon in a row for starters would be bad.

salsuigetsu

I created a death metal / punk rock gorilla final evo for Grookey but I can’t post it on here for whatever reason. My post just gets flagged as spam. I wanna show it but I can’t even post a link

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I created a death metal / punk rock gorilla final evo for Grookey but I can’t post it on here for whatever reason. My post just gets flagged as spam. I wanna show it but I can’t even post a link

Can you PM me the link?

KKS-Lapras

I'd like to see it, please PM me the link as well!

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
While I do think the music theme is going to stay with Grookey through the whole evolution line, let's not forget Popplio had a circus acrobat theme and none of the two aspects was anywhere to be seen in any of its evolutions. It is the only first-stage starter with a theme so far (leaving Galar aside) and that theme was promptly discarded when it evolved.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
While I do think the music theme is going to stay with Grookey through the whole evolution line, let's not forget Popplio had a circus acrobat theme and none of the two aspects was anywhere to be seen in any of its evolutions. It is the only first-stage starter with a theme so far (leaving Galar aside) and that theme was promptly discarded when it evolved.

Keep in mind we also don't fully understand how it's music theme works. We all saw a stick hit on the ground and realized groove was apart of it's name and declared it's a drummer. I'm still wondering if it may end up more of a dancer or something.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Keep in mind we also don't fully understand how it's music theme works. We all saw a stick hit on the ground and realized groove was apart of it's name and declared it's a drummer. I'm still wondering if it may end up more of a dancer or something.
Not only that, all of its international names have some connection to music.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

Um, what about Mega Sceptile?

salsuigetsu

Regarding my previous post.. I commissioned an artist to help me finalize the design for my fakemon. Credit to @donpablo_dnd on IG. He did the amazing artwork. Huge improvement from my sloppy sketch lol. For whatever reason I can’t link or post images. Visit my page if you want to see it.

Full info on the Pokémon:
GROOVILLA
GRASS/DARK

THE RHYTHM POKÉMON
HEIGHT: 6’2” WEIGHT: 220lb

HIDDEN ABILITY: FEARLESS - The Pokémon does not receive super effective damage from Bug and/or Ghost type moves. Immune to intimidation.

MOVES: Crunch, Wood Hammer, Seed Bomb, Power Whip, Spiky Shield, Horn Leech, Knock Off, Fake Out, Thrash, Outrage, Earthquake, Iron Head, Iron Tail, Swords Dance, Hammer Arm, Throat Chop, Brick Break, Poison Jab, Gunk Shot, Thunder Punch, Drain Punch, Parting Shot, Belly Drum.
SIGNATURE MOVE: TERROR HOWLS - The user let’s out terrifying and heavy howls that pummel the target down. May intimidate target (-1 Attack). Physical, no contact. 90BP 90% ACCURACY

STATS:
HP - 100
Atk- 120
Def - 100
SpA - 55
SpD - 70
Spe - 90

The Pokémon is based on howler monkeys, the extinct Gigantopithecus, vines and thorns, death metal, punks, and drummers.

Let me know what you guys think.

Nodame

Misty <3
I like Grookey. Aren’t monkeys rare in UK? I find it interesting they went with another monkey. Maybe it will evolve into a rare monkey species?.. I just hope it’s not a Gorilla.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I like Grookey. Aren’t monkeys rare in UK? I find it interesting they went with another monkey. Maybe it will evolve into a rare monkey species?.. I just hope it’s not a Gorilla.

Just curious as to why?

Not judging, and to some degree I kinda hope this as well. But honestly we do t have a true Pokemon inspired by a gorilla so it be a first.

What kind of monkey would you like it inspired by?

paipr_christian

grass type fan.