1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest
    As I'm sure you're well aware, sites aren't free to run and so we run leaderboard adverts to fund the site. These ads are often specific game ones run by Sega etc.
    To make sure we get relevant ads as much as possible, could you fill out this survey my ad network is running? It's 100% anonymous and will just help us keep relevant ads on the site
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GL2ZTK
    It's open til April 3rd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Gen 8 Starters Evolution and Secondary Typing Predictions

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Black.Rose, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

There are no native monkey species in the British Isles at all, only those you find in zoos, wild life parks or kept as pets and probably occasionally some escaped pets here and there, but I don't think that really has any relevance.

I think they could do a good design of a gorilla if they focus on the highly developed social skills, empathy and intelligence of, for example, mountain gorillas. I'd love to see a "gentle giant" type who allows small bird Pokemon to nest on his back and stuff like that.
    As for pretty monkey species....uh...that's gonna be difficult, there aren't exactly many "pretty" species of monkey or ape imho...

A ring-tailed lemur maybe?

2. Nodame

Nodame I love cute Pokemon

I just prefer something unique. Aren’t Slaking and Oranguru Gorillas? Why add more :x

Zoruagible likes this.
  3. paipr_christian

paipr_christian grass type fan.

Fun fact, while if this happened it wouldn't be the first /Fairy to have flowers in its design, it would be the first Grass/Fairy to have flowers in it's design.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Nodame likes this.
  4. Orphalesion

Well Slaking evolves from a sloth, and I'd say it resembles a Bigfoot more than anything else...
    But Oranguru is an orangutan (you can tell by the head shape and face).

Nodame likes this.
  5. paipr_christian

And the name.

PokeMon2.0 and TheWanderingMist like this.
  6. lolipiece

lolipiece Me during high school Staff Member Moderator

The gentle giant part sounds cool, but I feel the nesting bird Pokemon thing puts it at risk of making it too similar to Torterra.

Gibbon? Golden lion tamarin? The baboon that's famous for bathing in hot springs?

Hopefully the color scheme focuses on green so it looks plenty distinct from Passimian.

Maybe its tail could be made of vines?

7. paipr_christian

I'd love to see it end up as like a 7 foot tall mountain of a gorrila that (while not in it's model, or maybe not in it's official art work) is show to have like regional birds on it's back.

Grass/Rock type to the play with the concept of a mountain of gorrila, as well as to add to how odd it is that it's gentle to these small creature (that it could crush with rocks, but doesn't, cause it's gentle.)

Orphalesion likes this.
  8. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Given previous patterns, I'm guessing that the middle stages of Hibanny, Messon, and Sarunori will look awkward as most middle stages usually are. I hope Sarunori's last stage isn't a gorilla, though.

FullmetalJackie likes this.
  9. DSDark

DSDark Breeder

Other then totodile's evolution gen 2's middle stages aren't awkward.

Also it's Grookey, Scorbunny and Sobble. Using the Japanese names in English is annoying.

10. paipr_christian

I like most middle stages.....in a few cases more than last.

11. Beloberto

Beloberto Well-Known Member

Regarding middle stages, I just hope GF changes their ways and reveal them around August instead of just one month before the game (their usual way).

The middle stages are never as strong as the first (cute babies) or the last (fully formed warriors), so it would help a lot if GF gave us more time to grow attached to them instead of giving us just 3 weeks before they are inevitably eclipsed by the last stages.

12. SoulRebel726

SoulRebel726 Active Member

Agreed. I don't speak Japanese, that's why I'm on an English forum. Having to google names to understand what you're talking about is a good way for me to just ignore you going forward. Just use English names when speaking in English please. I promise that it doesn't make you sound any smarter or more cultural, just pretentious.

Missingno.Fan, DSDark and Orphalesion like this.
  13. Ignition

Ignition Stop neglecting my sad bois GameFreak.

Considering the fact that @Leonhart ’sprofile says he’s from Japan, doesn’t it seem to be a bit inconsiderate to just tell him to use the English words when he’s more familiar with the Japanese? He’s not doing it to sound smart nor cultural, but because he’s used to using those words. I understand if you want him to try and use English when using a predominately English fourm but just being rude by saying “it’s Grookey, Scorbunny and Sobble” and “it doesn’t make you sound any smarter” just sounds ignorant. There’s a better way to ask him to try and use English terminology without being rude.

With the topic of middle stage starters, I tend to like them. In fact, there’s not a single one I dislike as these Pokèmon tend to be with you for a huge chunk of your adventure

WishIhadaManafi5 and Leonhart like this.
  14. SoulRebel726

Fair enough, I just see it often enough that I assume that at least some people are just trying to sound smart. My apologies if that isn't the case here, but it certainly is in other instances.

15. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I would like this as well regarding the Galar Starters' whole evolutionary families in general since I like forming my teams months in advance. So the sooner we see what the 3 Starters will evolve into, the better.

I live in Japan, and I'm simply accustomed to using the Japanese names for Pokemon. Besides, the context clues in my post should've made it clear that I was referring to the Galar Starters, specifically the Grass-type at the end of my post when I mentioned not wanting to see a gorilla-like evolution. Not sure why we're making mountains out of molehills.

16. SoulRebel726

Sorry, but it's something I see all the time, not just from your one comment. It bothers me and I guess I'm not in the best of moods today so I chose that comment to jump on. But seriously, I see it all the time in many places, from people that I know aren't Japanese/live in Japan. So again, I apologize to you, but I don't believe requesting English names in an English form is making a mountain out of anything. I simply prefer to not having to search for things when the poster could have just used the language native to the forum that he/she was already speaking in.

And that's enough on that subject. Moving on.

Orphalesion likes this.
  17. paipr_christian

It is really ironic when you think about it. They talk about all the advertising the starters get, because that is your first Pokemon. And then there is the final stages which you will likely see the most.

And then middle stages are regarded as these things that barely matter as they are just the bridge between the other two. But you really do spend alot of time with them. Lvl count alone You usually spend more time with your middle stage than the base (specially considering unless it's from an egg said Stater is already lvl 5, meaning roughly a third of it's way to evolving is done.

Ignition likes this.
  18. Orphalesion

I can remember, one of the reasons I chose Bulbasaur was that it spends less time as Ivysaur than Charmander and Squirtle spend as their middle evolutions. The middle evolutions of starters often do seem to fall into a sort of scruffy or unsure "awkward stage" almost as if your starter has become a young teenager not yet sure what to do with their life. Especially obvious with Brionne, imho, who has become an aspiring performer, but doesn't have the skill and elegance of Primarina yet.
    It does have it's charm.

But you are on an English forum. I grew up in Germany and played Pokemon Blue and Yellow in German, and you don't see me calling Bulbasaur "Bisasam" because of that. And if every user who doesn't live in an English speaking country and/or isn't an English native speaker just used the Pokemon names of their language it would get really confusing.

19. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

To be fair, most players only spend a few days (sometimes just a few hours) with the middle stages, whereas they spend more time training the final stages. I just hope Sarunori (Grookey) becomes a baboon or bonobo in its second stage. Something sleek and quick.

But as I pointed out, the context clues were more than enough to get the gist of who I was referring to; there are only 3 Gen VIII Pokemon known at the moment (5 if Meltan's line is counted?), and this is the Galar Starter thread, so what else would Hibanny, Messon, and Sarunori be other than "Scorbunny", "Sobble", and "Grookey"?

In fairness, I'll definitely use the English names in parentheses from now on in this subforum to avoid backlash, but the exaggerated confusion over three names (that take a few seconds to Google if need be) is puzzling.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 11:33 PM
    Ignition likes this.
  20. The-Magic-Sword

The-Magic-Sword New Member

Someone mentioned Grookey potentially evolving into a gentle giant, not only is that a neat idea, they could become a pokemon based off of the "Green Man" (go look at wikipedia if you haven't heard of it.)

Very apropos for a grass type monkey to become this uncanny humanoid creature who has power over plants, and given its first form's mischievous nature, I can imagine it hiding among the foliage watching people in secret.