• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Starters Evolution and Secondary Typing Predictions

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
And don't get me wrong 8 gens in there are going to be repeats and seemingly redundant concepts (I'd like to introduce you to 7/8 regional birds as well as a handful of other Normal/Flying types).

But alot of the time I don't see it necessary. Aka mono type starters final stages, or repeating final type combos of starters..... (He says while thinking Fire/Flying Scorbunny final stage would be fantastic.)

(Although the concept could in theory be adapted to Fire/Fairy, or maybe even Fire/Ground)

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Exactly. If the typing repeats the pokemon has to feel unique. So for Grookey it needs to feel different as a monkey and as a grass pokemon

The uniqueness is the other main problem with Fire/Fighting. Infernape is different then blaziken and better for it. Emboar is a different but doesn't do anything that Blaziken or Infernape can't. It is a waste of a starter.

While for the mono repeats they are all different then others. However I argue that Gen 5 had the worst starters overall. None of them do anything special that the others can't do.

Eh, I'd argue that Infernape had more overlap with Blaziken then Emboar did with the other two. As mentioned above, it was built more for the bulky attacker route then the speedy attacker, which means it could rely on its HP more then the other two could do. It could've been better in that role I'll admit, but at least it aimed for a unique niche. I'd also argue Serperior's Hidden Ability gives it a niche no other Grass type starter can do.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'd also argue Serperior's Hidden Ability gives it a niche no other Grass type starter can do.

Unfortunately Serperior is sorta a one trick pony that is highly reliant on that HA.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Unfortunately Serperior is sorta a one trick pony that is highly reliant on that HA.
Being a one-trick pony isn't enough to damn a Pokemon to irrelevance, or even really affect its viability at all. Naganadel is a one-trick pony, and it's also one of the most threatening Pokemon Gen 7 introduced.

On the other hand, Serperior's reliance on its hidden ability means that it isn't really a favorable pick as a starter.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Being a one-trick pony isn't enough to damn a Pokemon to irrelevance, or even really affect its viability at all. Naganadel is a one-trick pony, and it's also one of the most threatening Pokemon Gen 7 introduced.

On the other hand, Serperior's reliance on its hidden ability means that it isn't really a favorable pick as a starter.

As someone who plays almost exclusively in-game..... That's what I meant.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Yeah I agree that in the main story it could be a lot better, it has good speed and bulk and it can use Coil very well, but its lack of a good movepool truly hurts. At least the trainers aren't as cruel to it like poor Meganium in Gen 2.

Lilligantastic

I've always loved Meganium and Serperior, although Feraligatr and Samurott were my favourites from their respective generations. I think all starters are generally pretty powerful and usable (I'm talking in-game as I don't battle competitively) so for me it's more about them having a design I really like. The only starter I can't stand is Emboar purely because I'm not a fan of its design.

So for me I'm anxious to see how these new starters will pan out in terms of what their evolutions will look like. I'm hoping they keep up the tradition of a tough one, a graceful one and a cool/assassin-esque one. I feel like this helps ensure there's something for everyone.

Creyk

Based on the gender / ace chart, my final predictions are:
Fire/Fighting
Water/Steel
Grass/Fairy
D0xChamUcAAw_zY.jpg

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Based on the gender / ace chart, my final predictions are:
Fire/Fighting
Water/Steel
Grass/Fairy
D0xChamUcAAw_zY.jpg

I saw this theory few times and I think that a good edgy typing for Scorbunny would be Fire/Electric aka Sasuke Uchiha. Edgy characters tend to be/look as agile.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I saw this theory few times and I think that a good edgy typing for Scorbunny would be Fire/Electric aka Sasuke Uchiha. Edgy characters tend to be/look as agile.

Just throwing it out there if we are talking patterns, Greninja then Incineroar had a /Dark typing. So I guess the feminine Grookey final stage will be Grass/Dark type.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Quick game. One starter ends up /Electric, one /Flying and one /Ice.

Who gets what secondary typing for the Galarian starters?
Scorbunny-Flying (because jumping...bounce is a flying type move)
Sobble-Ice (Who knows maybe it’s sad because it’s cold)
Grookey-Electric (If this whole music theory thing is legit, maybe it’ll wind up with an electric guitar)

Obviously not what I think will really happen to these guys. But really fun game :D

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
My predictions
In order from the likeliest to 5th most likely.
Grookey
Grass/Rock, Grass/Dark, Grass/Fairy, Grass/Ground, Grass/Psychic
Scorbunny
Fire/Electric, Fire/Fightning Fire/Steel, Fire/Fairy, Fire/Ground.
Sobble
Water/Ghost, Water/Dragon, Water/Poison, Water/Psychic, Water/Steel

Leonhart

Imagineer
I thought that Sarunori (Grookey) might become Grass/Ground when it evolves, but something about that type combination seems rather insipid to me now, so I'm hoping for either Grass/Fighting or Grass/Dark.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Does anyone else think Scorbunny's evos will be Fire/Fighting? The little rabbit gives me an athlete vibe so I'm expecting another repeat of the Torchic, Chimchar and Tepig lines.
I don't think so.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Does anyone else think Scorbunny's evos will be Fire/Fighting? The little rabbit gives me an athlete vibe so I'm expecting another repeat of the Torchic, Chimchar and Tepig lines.

I don't. Because I don't equate athletics to /Fighting type.

If anything I could see

Fire/Ground(as a sprinter)

Fire/Flying (acrobatics, which is a flying type move)