• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Starters Evolution and Secondary Typing Predictions

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Mega Lopunny already covers the “fighting type rabbit” niche- and while that certainly won’t stop GF- I think one of those is enough. Scorbunny could be a neat Fire/Electric or maybe even part Fairy/Flying.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Mega Lopunny already covers the “fighting type rabbit” niche- and while that certainly won’t stop GF- I think one of those is enough. Scorbunny could be a neat Fire/Electric or maybe even part Fairy/Flying.
It's the bandage/padding on the face motif that makes me think Fire/Fighting isn't out of the question, considering for some reason gamefreak seems to associate that with Fighting-type trainers (such as Maylene).

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

What I find funny out of the Fire/Electric thing is that people were trying to cast Litten as one of those too. But at least Litten didn't end up a Fighting type

Hopefully they reveal the first evolutions soon so we can get a better idea of the direction they'll go with these starters

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
SO looking at the new info for the starters:
For Grookey's evos I'm thinking psychic or fairy for it's secondary type: "...but it’s no longer a simple branch. It has gained special powers after being exposed to the energy within Grookey’s body."

For Sobble's evos I am thinking dark or ghost: "Sobble’s tears are capable of making others cry. This effect is so strong, it is said that its tears are as potent as 100 onions."

For Scorbunny's evos I am unfortunately thinking fighting type, or hopefully a possible fairy though: "If Scorbunny is able to increase its heart rate and body temperature by running around and warming up properly, the true power of its fire energy will be awakened and its physical capabilities will greatly increase."

DaijobuPlease

Looking at the screen grabs unless they do a 360 on us

Scorebunny knows Double-Kick
Grooky Knows Taunt

So fighting and dark type.

But after last gens 360 I dont know anymore lol

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Grookey can also seemingly learn Wood Hammer according to the Direct.

That strongly suggests it's the physical starter and therefore suggests it most likely won't end up Grass/Psychic or Grass/Fairy or whatever.

And if Scorbunny can learn Double Kick, that means Sobble is likely the more Special oriented starter.

rocky505

Using random moves as an indicator is a bad idea for now. Most Pokemon that learn Double Kick aren't even Fighting Type. Rabbits are also known for kicking just as Alligators and Turtles are known for biting or Hedgehogs are known for rolling into balls. Bite didn't make Totodile or Squirtle evolve into Dark Types and Rollout didn't make Chespin a Rock Type.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Looking at the screen grabs unless they do a 360 on us

Scorebunny knows Double-Kick
Grooky Knows Taunt

So fighting and dark type.

But after last gens 360 I dont know anymore lol

Grookey can also seemingly learn Wood Hammer according to the Direct.

That strongly suggests it's the physical starter and therefore suggests it most likely won't end up Grass/Psychic or Grass/Fairy or whatever.

And if Scorbunny can learn Double Kick, that means Sobble is likely the more Special oriented starter.

You guys got that from.... one or two moves? That's a bit hasty if you ask me.

1) Double Kick is learned in majority by Pokémon who aren't Fighting-types, including Litten. The same applies with Taunt and Dark-types.
2) While it does point to Scorbunny being more physical or mixed, it doesn't outright confirm it.
3) Wood Hammer is literally learned by Exeggutor, a Psychic type and a more special-oriented Pokémon. The reason why Exeggutor and Grookey learn it is because it's fitting to their design.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I said "suggests" and "likely." Nowhere in my post did I say anything was confirmed. This is a speculation and prediction board. If we're not allowed to speculate on stuff based on what we know, then what's even the point?

Also, while Exeggutor is more Special oriented, it's not like it has terrible physical Attack, either. If Grookey is not the more physical oriented starter, it's at least mixed.

And is it really that Farfetch'd to assume Sobble is most likely the Special oriented starter given what we know? We know Grookey can learn Wood Hammer and that Scorbunny can learn Double Kick, which suggests they're probably more physical oriented or mixed. We also know Sobble is most likely capable of learning Water Gun judging by the first trailer. Ergo, by process of elimination, Sobble is most likely the Special attacker.

Anway, to say something more positive from the Direct. I like how Scorbunny is running in place when it's in battle. I thought that was cute.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
More non-Fighting types learn Double Kick than actual Fighting types. Scorbunny learning it does not mean that it will become another Fire/Fighting Pokemon.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I already made up my mind on picking Grookey regardless of its evolution. If I don't like what it evolves into, I will just stick to the base stage (or the second stage if I like it).

And since a big bulky ape and a drummer were the two things on the top of the list of things I didn't want it to evolve into... it seems that Eviolite is going to be used to death.

2dtyplosion

For people who are worried about fire/fighting Scorbunny I think a Fire Rabbit pokemon was always going to have kick attacks. I think the leaker might be right and well get a pure Fire final evo for Scorbunny.

Kingudora

My favourite
For people who are worried about fire/fighting Scorbunny I think a Fire Rabbit pokemon was always going to have kick attacks. I think the leaker might be right and well get a pure Fire final evo for Scorbunny.
Yeah, and I think the kicking moves will be the full extent of 'fighting' moves the Scorbunny line can learn. I don't think we will see moves like Vital Throw or Dynamic Punch for them.

Also, ever since the starter reveal, I have had this 'football player' vibe about Scorbunny. So I think that is the route the evolution line will take. Scorbunny's final evo is most likely 'athletic' but not like a brawler or such.

As for Sobble's final evo and its spy theme, I can also see Ghost as a fitting type.

Dragon Pulse

Holding on to Water/Ghost for Sobble. Predictable, but it'll be interesting. Otherwise I'll be disappointed (also secretly because Ghost is my favorite type).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I remember people saying Litten would be Fire/Poison because of its flames being poisonous (or something around those lines) that was from the description on the website, the whole alchemy conspiracy, and some “leak” saying it’d evolve into a manticore.

I’m hoping this generation is the opposite of the last gen where all the starters are relatively fast

Kingudora

My favourite
I remember people saying Litten would be Fire/Poison because of its flames being poisonous (or something around those lines) that was from the description on the website, the whole alchemy conspiracy, and some “leak” saying it’d evolve into a manticore.

I’m hoping this generation is the opposite of the last gen where all the starters are relatively fast
The Gen 7 starters were on average the slowest set of starters by far, with the three of them having an average speed stat of 63.33 (compare this to average speed of the Gen I starters which would be 86).

However, this might be because Gen 6 had on average the fastest set of starters so far at 96.66. While Chesnaught is by no means fast, both Delphox and Greninja were. Usually each set of starters have one speedy pokémon, one with average speed and one slow pokémon. Gen 6 broke that norm, and Gen 7 seems to have compensated for it.