• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Starters Evolution and Secondary Typing Predictions

DSDark

Breeder
Grass/Steel
Fire
Water/Ghost

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
My wish

Grass/Dark
Water/Psychic
Fire/Flying

Prediction

Grass/Fighting
Water/Ghost
Fire/Ground

derekrandall

My biggest wish is that sobble becomes psychic, dark or ghost. I will be picking him no matter what though :)

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Leonhart

Imagineer
I hadn't really considered Fire/Ground for the Fire Starter before, but now it seems like something that might happen since it's a rabbit based Pokemon and rabbits dig burrows underground. It's a rather boring type combination, though.

shadowF

Does anyone know any of the moves that the starters have from the demo on Today's E3? I am wondering if we can guess the secondary typings for the Pokemon with the moves they have in the demo. We know Scorbunny has fighting type moves but I wonder what Sobble has because I really want to know what its secondary typing would be when it gets to its final evolution.

Does anyone know any of the moves that the starters have from the demo on Today's E3? I am wondering if we can guess the secondary typings for the Pokemon with the moves they have in the demo. We know Scorbunny has fighting type moves but I wonder what Sobble has because I really want to know what its secondary typing would be when it gets to its final evolution.
Pokébeach shared all the moves that Pokémon on your team have in the demo:

Sobble = "Liquidation," "Rain Dance," "Soak," and "Water Pulse"

Scorbunny = "Flame Charge," "Quick Attack," "Double-Edge," and "Headbutt"

Grookey = "Razor Leaf," "Uproar," "Slam," and "Knock Off"

"Knock Off" is learned by a lot of non-Dark-types (even by level-up), so I wouldn't draw any major conclusions from that one. (Same goes for "Taunt," which we saw Grookey having in other shots).

shadowF

"Knock Off" is learned by a lot of non-Dark-types (even by level-up), so I wouldn't draw any major conclusions from that one. (Same goes for "Taunt," which we saw Grookey having in other shots).

Ok, so Sobble only has water type moves and Grookey has dark type moves. I guess anything can happen I guess....but wouldn't be surprised if Grookey ends up being Grass/Dark especially since I am hearing that according to the stats of the starters from the demo. Scorbunny seems to have high Physical attack, Sobble high Special Attack and Grookey is Mixed.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Yeah, both Knock Off and Taunt common moves even for non-dark types... but still, it stands out it has two dark type moves among the ones it can learn early.

For those who didn't saw the stats of the starters available on the demo. All of them were Lv.50
Grookey (Adamant) - 149 / 85 / 79 / 47 / 69 / 78
Scorbunny (Hardy) - 149 / 115 / 53 / 53 / 53 / 82
Sobble (Hardy) - 149 / 53 / 53 / 114 / 53 / 83

Without the nature changes I guess Grookey stats would be 149/77/79/53/69/78.
It is looking more like a tank than a mixed sweeper (which can be worrisome if it really ends up as Grass/Dark).

Last edited:

paipr_christian

grass type fan.

Wait... Scorbunny has 3 Normal attacks learned?? Yall know what that means Fire/Normal type confirmed!

.... Unless I'm wrong and types of learned moves doesn't necessarily have to mean something.....

DannyDark

Yes, and Popplio learns Disarming Voice and Baby-Doll Eyes before level 12.
Outright saying the moves a Pokemon learns don't hint towards its evolution is incorrect, just as saying they definitely reveal its future secondary type is also incorrect.

Popplio learns two Fairy type moves, and while Baby-Doll Eyes is common enough to disregard.. it, as well as the less common Disarming Voice, could easily lead you to think it would become part-Fairy; and you'd be correct. Especially if, say in its design or dex entry, there are other hints that possibly support a possible typing.

So moves can absolutely hint towards typing, they just can't effectively confirm.. unless it's super obvious.

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
I'm guessing Grookey's final evo will be Grass/Dark. So far it learns a couple of Dark moves.
Makes sense since Grass it's the only starter type that hasn't been paired with Dark yet (We had Greninja in Gen 6 and Incineroar in Gen 7)

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'd like Grass/Dark or Grass/Psychic or... In a random world Grass/Electric for Grookey.

Based on that popular idea of a gorrila with a drum, and the idea of Grookey's stick being special, just makes me think that maybe it could use it's music to control or manipulate, or be mischievous and what not.

And far as the Grass/Electric that's just wishful thinking.... Maybe it's sick beats are electrically charged? It could drum up some thunder?