• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Starters Evolution and Secondary Typing Predictions

flygon1509

I imagine that pokemon types can be sorted into 4 groups: Elements (grass, fire, water, ice, electric), Minerals (ground, rock, steel, poison), Creatures (dragon, flying, bug) and Characters (psychic, dark, ghost, fighting, fairy, normal). The starters' types have never been paired with electric or ice from the Elements, rarely been paired with Minerals/Creatures (flying is the only possible option from Creatures), and mostly been paired with the Characters group. So although I hope for a Grass/Rock or Grass/Electric Grookey evo, it's unlikely to happen, unless GF decides to change things up this time.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Hoping for:
Fire/Electric or Fire/Fighting
Grass/Dark
Water/Ghost or Water/Poison

dss_live

Water and Fairy-type master
My hopes would be:

Fire/Electric or Fire/Fairy
Grass/Rock or Grass/Fairy
Water/Ghost

(Fairy may not make sense for either of them, but i just want more fairy starters :p )

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
My hopes would be:

Fire/Electric or Fire/Fairy
Grass/Rock or Grass/Fairy
Water/Ghost

(Fairy may not make sense for either of them, but i just want more fairy starters :p )

I don't think "sense" is really a factor in the first stage. By the final stage they can justify it in some way. And that's assuming they "need to justify" it.

shadowF

Is anyone hoping that the Galar starters get Gigantamax forms as well? I personally do even though the Pokemon website says only rare Pokemon from max raid battle can get it. Maybe the starters we get are really rare and can get Gigantamax forms?

Luthor

Is anyone hoping that the Galar starters get Gigantamax forms as well? I personally do even though the Pokemon website says only rare Pokemon from max raid battle can get it. Maybe the starters we get are really rare and can get Gigantamax forms?

That would work fine for me. It would make the starters feel a bit more special than most other starters.

Orphalesion

I don't think "sense" is really a factor in the first stage. By the final stage they can justify it in some way. And that's assuming they "need to justify" it.

Agreed! When looking at Popplio who would have ever guessed that it'd evolve into a Water/Fairy Mermaid?

While I'm not a fan of temporary forms like Gigantamax or Megas, I agree that the starters should get them, just like I think that the Kalos starters should have gotten Megas.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Bleh. The Starters getting Gigantamax forms means they're probably gonna reveal them like they did with the Alola starters to advertise their exclusive Z-Moves.

I'd rather they not...

Leonhart

Imagineer
shadowF said:

Well it could happen as a way of further promoting the new gimmick, and since Starters are usually among the most popular Pokemon of each generation, it would be fitting. Frankly, I just want their evolved forms to be revealed soon since I'm still not sure which of the Starters I'll chose in the games until I see their evolved forms.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
If Gigantamax is the case for starter evolutions, I hope it doesn't affect their base typings. Imagine they all are pure Grass/Fire/Water, but their G-Max forms add their dual types...

DannyDark

Knowing Gigantamax will be gone by next gen, I just hope it will not play too much of a part in making the Galar starters viable.

By the way, how do you people feel about this?
1562622881002.jpg
I stole the image from 4ch, but I got this exact feeling when I saw her art. It just feels kinda Scorbunny themed

GF are just so clearly strapped for time and lazy and so have re-purposed the 3D model of Scorbunny's ears as her bow, don't worry, that's all.

In all seriousness, we live in constant fear of the Fire/Fighting threat.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Doubt Bea’s design is any indication of Scorbunny’s type. People really want a reason to complain about Fighting Fire starters lol
There is also the fact her counterpart, Allister, seem to fit Sobble perfectly as well - while Bea matches Scorbunny regarding her appearance, Allister seems a lot like Sobble in his description.
Also, unlike Milo with Eldegoss and Nessa with Drednaw, even though we saw Bea using Hitmontop and Allister using Mimikyu we didn't saw any of the latter two in giant forms so it's possible they are not the gym leader aces.

Sobble becoming Ghost type is something a lot of people can foresee. As far as Scorbunny going Fighting (spoiler regarding the confirmed leak):
The leaker said it is staying pure Fire, but also said both its moveset and design are heavily fighting-themed. So even if it doesn't officially turn into Fighting, maybe it would be enough to be used by the Fighting gym leader?

Not saying I am sold on this, but I think it is a possibility worthy of taking into consideration.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

There is also the fact her counterpart, Allister, seem to fit Sobble perfectly as well - while Bea matches Scorbunny regarding her appearance, Allister seems a lot like Sobble in his description.

Remember when in the pre-release to SuMo people linked Lily's appearance to Nihilego and Lusamine's to Pheromosa and had all kinds of speculations and theories about what that might mean (including that Lily was really Nihilego taking a human form)?
Remember how absolutely nothing came of it and in the game it doesn't really mean anyhting?

Could happen here as well.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Remember when in the pre-release to SuMo people linked Lily's appearance to Nihilego and Lusamine's to Pheromosa and had all kinds of speculations and theories about what that might mean (including that Lily was really Nihilego taking a human form)?
Remember how absolutely nothing came of it and in the game it doesn't really mean anyhting?

Could happen here as well.
Very good point

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jerimiyah said:
I think Scorbunny will probably get stuck being half Fighting type because that little bandage that it has reminds me of the kinds that karate fighters in certain anime often have.

Up until now I had assumed that the square-shaped mark on its face was just a stylistic addition since it has one on the underside of its feet too, but now that I think about it, it kind of resembles a Band-Aid. I'm not so sure that that's foreshadowing what its type combination will be upon evolving, however.

derekrandall

I really hope the leaks are correct and sobble is water/ghost. I love that typing it seems really cool. I wouldn’t mind if it was water/psychic or water/dark either. As for the other two, I think fire/steel and grass/rock seem likely.