• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Starters Evolution and Secondary Typing Predictions

Waalchastazoor

Maybe they won't do it. Maybe Grookey will be Sound-based without being Sound-typed. I just think they'd be better off with the type.

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
Sobble: Water/Dragon (hoping but not expecting), Water/Ice, Water/Ghost or Water/Poison
Scorbunny: Fire/Steel, Fire/Ground, Fire/Fighting (please not again), Fire/Normal or pure Fire
Grookey: Grass/Dark, Grass/Fighting, Grass/Ground, Grass/Rock (my personal favorite) or pure Grass

Orphalesion

So @paipr_christian you might actually get your /electric starter with Scorbunny. Honestly I hadn't thought it possible hahaha.

Crookey: Grass/Psychic Grass/Rock or Grass/Dark

Sobble....uh....could we get our first Water/Dragon starter right there?

Sabre_King

Grookey I see being either Grass/Fighting, Grass/Rock, or Pure Grass
I can see it’s hidden ability being Iron Fists potentially with a grass punching attack.

Scorbunny could be either Fire/Ground, Fire/Steel or Pure Fire
I would like to see it have a new ability that is similar to Motor Drive except for fire attacks. I see this being the speed starter of the generation. If not flash Fire would do.

Sobble I get vibes for Water/Poison, Water/Ghost, or Water/Dragon
I instantly imagine it having Protean or Color Change.

nickdt

Grooky - Grass/Psychic or Grass/Ground, based on the trailer reveal
Scorbunny - goes towards a Fire/Fighting design in base stage already (Just like Chimchar). I can also see it becoming Fire/Steel though, although i can also see it staying pure Fire.
Sobble - Based on the appearance, i would say its either going to be Water/Poison, Water/Ghost or Water/Psychic.

The colors of the mons can possibly also give it away.

With Grooky, it looks like Grass/Ground or Grass/Rock, since Turtwig also has that Brown color scheme.
Scorbunny however, is the least Fire Starter looking of them all, since its color scheme seems to be primary White, which can be a clue towards Fire/Steel or Fire/Normal.
Sobble had Yellow, so Water/Electric perhaps.

I actually think there may be hints towards their abilities.
Scorbunny left fire in its wake, so perhaps it has Flamebody.
Sobble was invisible in the water, so maybe Water Veil..storm drain?
Grooky’s banging on the rock seemed to affect the grass somehow, so maybe it’s ability has an affect on grass or sorroundings?

raichu27

For fully evolved, I would like to see:

Grookey - Grass/Electric
Scorbunny - Fire/Fairy (always wanted to see that one)
Sobble - It doesn't matter to me.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
So @paipr_christian you might actually get your /electric starter with Scorbunny. Honestly I hadn't thought it possible hahaha.

Crookey: Grass/Psychic Grass/Rock or Grass/Dark

Sobble....uh....could we get our first Water/Dragon starter right there?

What me?? Want an/Electric starter??

Lol it's possible.

It be fun for Sobble aka a sobbing bubble to evolve into a powerful dragon.

XXD17

Draco rex
Grookey I can see being grass/fighting or grass/rock. It could evolve into a type of ancient hominid or ape like Gigantopithecus since the way it wears that stick in its hair is kind of caveman-esque. It could end up wielding a club or something.

Scorbunny I want to see fire/ electric since it's based on a soccer player and will probably focus on speed.

Sobble I see the most potential in and I want it to be a water/ghost where it evolves into a Loch Ness monster mixed with a viking ship, the kind with a curly stern and a dragon head on the bow. The little fin on it head reminds me of a toy sailboat and the final evo will have huge fins that look like ship sails. The haunted boat theme fits perfectly with it invisibility quirk where it can mysteriously disappear into the mist.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
So here is a thought I don't know if anyone mentioned.

The theorized final forms of the last 2 gens and possibly this gen. According to it,

Grookey should end up feminine.
Scorbunny should end up stealthy.
Sobble will get bulky in some way.

Acer11

So here is a thought I don't know if anyone mentioned.

The theorized final forms of the last 2 gens and possibly this gen. According to it,

Grookey should end up feminine.
Scorbunny should end up stealthy.
Sobble will get bulky in some way.
What makes you think Grookey ends up feminine besides your theory?

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
What makes you think Grookey ends up feminine besides your theory?

Oh nothing. And it's not my theory it's an old one that's been kicking around for a while. Just wanted to remind folks to see if they had any thoughts and what not.

What kind of Lizard would Sobble evolve into? The only lizard I could think of is an Iguana.

Yeah no idea there. I mean... There are marine iguanas. And some are suggesting a loch ness final form perhaps.

KKS-Lapras

I don't know what Grooky would end up with as a potential second typing. Scorbunny, I lean towards either Fire/Electric if they want to focus on speed which for some reason strikes me as fitting for that starter, or Speed isn't the focus then Fire/Steel, and the reason I say that is the first shot we were given of Scorbunny running on the metal cogs. Sobble, Water/Ghost jumped out to me instantly, the invisibility or camouflage technique jumped out in my mind in that direction, and I say that knowing fully well that it's based on someone type of Gecko or other such creature in which camouflage is a common feature, and also knowing fully well that Pokemon like Vaporeon can literally disappear by essentially breaking down into surrounding water, yet despite those facts, it's seemingly skittish nature, added with the ability noted above have me leaning in this direction.

And to the theory that Grooky might end up having a more "feminine" appearance in it's evolutions, while I get why some people have mentioned that, first Fennekin, then Popplio, Grass in that line of thinking would be next, but I'm not sure that is an actual pattern.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
I have a felling Grookey will turn into a gorilla (big physical attack and defense), possibly Grass/Fighting

Like someone alluded to earlier, Sobble evolving into a Loch Ness monster like creature would be interesting, since it turns invisible (signifying the Loch Ness monster's supposed elusiveness) and for similar reasons could be Water/Ghost (or Water/Dragon)

I don't really have an idea of what Scorbunny will become but it's obviously going to be the speedster of this trio (and hopefully not Fire/Fighting again)

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Fire/Fighting aside, I think Scorbunny could become a Fire/Fairy or even Fire/Ground.

johno1995

Maybe the starters' description gives us a hint?

Grookey: "A mischievous chimp..." (Grass/Dark)
Scorbunny: "...always running about, bursting with energy" (Fire/Electric)
Sobble: "A somewhat timid Water type [...] it hides itself in the water." (Water/Ghost)

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Grookey : Grass/Steel

Scorbunny : Fire/Electric

Sobble : Water/Ghost ?

Grookey seems to be musically inclined, from its name being a mix of groovy + monkey, to the way it bangs its stick on the ground like a drum stick. The Steel type includes many sound-related moves already. I believe its stick will become a steel tool used for Grookey's unique move, which will be Steel-type and sound-related.

Everybody who assumes Scorbunny's face tape is a bandage is not noticing the same tape under its feet, which is the same yellow as its inner ears. Electric Pokemon have been tied to energy sources in past games, and the fact that its name is a combination of score + bunny clearly indicates its connection to futbal/soccer. Being a soccer player doesn't exactly scream Fighting type to me personally. Plus, mixing the two elements doesn't seem so far fetched when you think about the fact that Electricity can burn. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Scorbunny's unique move could be an Electric soccer kick that has a chance to burn.

I honestly don't know what to think about Sobble, but I like @XXD17's theory that the fin on its head will evoke a haunted ship's sail, looking kind of like a ghost ship that can disappear into the mist. Following the pattern, its unique move could be Ghost type and evoke its ghost ship theme in some way.