• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Starters Evolution and Secondary Typing Predictions

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
I don’t think we’re getting a feminine looking starter this time which is disappointing
I wouldn't say it's disappointing for me personally, but I will not deny it's what drew me into Primarina more. He is my beautiful siren and I always loved him. Plus I always had an affinity for effeminate designs that can be both genders. It's also why I love my male Lopunny Honey in UM so much.
Personally, I feel like people complaining about "feminine" designs for starters are just whining or insecure that they have a feminine male starter. In the case of Primarina, people seem to gloss over the fact that sirens can, in fact, be male, and have even been depicted as both genders. It's just that the art of them disappeared at some point in time. But because it's feminine in design, it MUST be female-only or else it must have a split evo (Gardevoir. Gallade tbh has no reason to exist outside being a male variant), its gender ratio that has been there for eons MUST be changed to mostly-female, or they will just never take a male one. It gives a bad taste in my mouth for some reason, like male Pokemon shouldn't be feminine or something. Yet it's perfectly fine for a female one to be masculine. >.>

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Does anyone happen to remember the stats of the unevolved starters that were shown from the Nessa demo?

Dragon Pulse

I wouldn't say it's disappointing for me personally, but I will not deny it's what drew me into Primarina more. He is my beautiful siren and I always loved him. Plus I always had an affinity for effeminate designs that can be both genders. It's also why I love my male Lopunny Honey in UM so much.
Personally, I feel like people complaining about "feminine" designs for starters are just whining or insecure that they have a feminine male starter. In the case of Primarina, people seem to gloss over the fact that sirens can, in fact, be male, and have even been depicted as both genders. It's just that the art of them disappeared at some point in time. But because it's feminine in design, it MUST be female-only or else it must have a split evo (Gardevoir. Gallade tbh has no reason to exist outside being a male variant), its gender ratio that has been there for eons MUST be changed to mostly-female, or they will just never take a male one. It gives a bad taste in my mouth for some reason, like male Pokemon shouldn't be feminine or something. >.>
What bugs me about people complaining about "feminine" starters is that no one really seems to bat an eyelid at Incineroar, who could be described as looking "masculine".

Orphalesion

Primarina was the first starter I genuinely loved. That might sound strange to a lot of people, but the other starters were always just "okay" in my eyes. Primarina, however, was "great".

That being said I would not be disappointed if there isn't a "feminine" starter, mostly because I don't like patterns (and think that the masculine, feminine, stealthy starter pattern so many people want to see is not actually a thing, particularly since Delphox looks more like a wizard than a witch to me)

DannyDark

I just don't bother making the distinction, I didn't like Primarina's design as a whole.. no real bearing on masculine/feminine/gender. I will say I was disappointed in the direction it went, as I very much liked Popplio, but that's just general taste. I equally disliked Inceneroar if I'm honest, it was quite a weak generation for me Starter-wise with Decidueye being the saving grace.

ebevan91

I just don't bother making the distinction, I didn't like Primarina's design as a whole.. no real bearing on masculine/feminine/gender. I will say I was disappointed in the direction it went, as I very much liked Popplio, but that's just general taste. I equally disliked Inceneroar if I'm honest, it was quite a weak generation for me Starter-wise with Decidueye being the saving grace.

I think the general consensus was Rowlet good, Dartrix meh, Decidueye good, Litten good, Torracat good, Incineroar KILL IT WITH FIRE (or in this case water), Popplio good, Brionne bad, Primarina meh.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Primarina was the first starter I genuinely loved. That might sound strange to a lot of people, but the other starters were always just "okay" in my eyes. Primarina, however, was "great".

That being said I would not be disappointed if there isn't a "feminine" starter, mostly because I don't like patterns (and think that the masculine, feminine, stealthy starter pattern so many people want to see is not actually a thing, particularly since Delphox looks more like a wizard than a witch to me)

Strange, it was the first I genuinely hated.
Didn't help the overrated Fairy got a starter typing right away while we STILL don't have a Dragon or Bug starter.... and it had a double advantage over Incineroar, while Decidueye only had one advantage over it? Um okay.... that's totally fair.

Creyk

This is interesting. For me Primarina and Incineroar are both amazing, they do what they set out to do so well! While the owl is just ugly.
It's good they manage to please everybody that is why there are 3 starters something for everyone.

Orphalesion

Gen 7 was the best case study why it's important to know the final evolutions of the starters.

I was in love with Rowlet...but I would have been extremely disappointed if I ended up with ugly old Decidueye.
And likewise I freaking hated Popplio....but as I said Primarina is the first fully evolved starter that I count among my favourites.