• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Starters Evolution and Secondary Typing Predictions

Bus

My take on these three is as follows:

Scorbunny - I'm 99.99% certain this is their primary mascot Pokémon for the Soccer side-theme, as the 'pads' are located on the bottom of its feet and on its forehead - it likely uses them like abrasive matchpads to generate fireballs for the feet, or ignite solid objects with the forehead. Both locations are heavily used in the sport of soccer, so this clearly is intentional placing on Game Freaks part. Its name can also be taken as 'score-bunny' as well. Evolution-wise, I'd expect the small pads to turn into sports tape-style wraps and a heavy focus on a 'Captain Tsubasa-esque' Soccer Striker theme. For eventual typing, while Fire/Fighting is always on the table, I'm getting the feeling that we may get our first Mono-Fire-type Stage 2 starter since way back in Generation 2 - we know how poorly-received the Fire/Fighting starters get with many older players, and a mono-Fire final evolution would ease the amount of punishment super-effective attacks can do to it. Also, there's a good chance Scorbunny will have a rival Pokémon of the Electric-type (and potentially Electric/Fighting) with a possible 'Inazuma Eleven' inspiration for an opposing team...

Grookey - As mentioned by others, the footprints left by Scorbunny regrew in Grookey's wake, either being relevant to its abilities or just to symbolize its Grass-type. I do think the stick it uses has relevance though - the positioning of it in its leafy hair makes Grookey's head resemble some sort of branch-hanging fruit, the first coming into my mind being the Pomegranate. I have no idea if pomegranates have anything to do with European folklore or such, so I won't speculate on it further. For its evolutions, I don't have much hopes for it - it could either become a Baseball themed slugger, focusing on the stick it uses, or just drop its tail and become a hulking gorilla (respawning all the Harambé memes again). Any typing could be chosen here, it just seems 'meh' to me.

Sobble - This is the Pokémon I'm most interested in as far as physiology is concerned - it's an amphibious lizard/chameleon-like thing with stick-like water strider legs and feet - something only insectoid Pokémon usually have. Its invisibility is just it using Acid Armor, which is a nice defensive change for this generation. It's also the Pokémon with the most potential in regards to its Evolutions - it could do anything from growing more feathery fins, transforming into a quadripedal Axolotl Pokémon, to going full Chimera with an aquatic Nue-like hybridized form. I honestly have no idea how Sobble is going to evolve, or what types it will become.

I'll still likely be choosing Scorbunny as my starter unless Sobble gets a great set of evolutions, but its design just screams to be a FIFATM promotional gimmick - and that's my take on the starters of Pokémon Sword and shilled, I mean Shield.

I didn't notice the Soccer theming to Scorbunny or the double entendre that could turn it from Scor, as in Scorching, to Scor, as in Scoring. Same with Grookey; I didn't think too hard on it's stick. If they stick to the subtle 'theming' of the last generation or two, we could end up seeing a 'Sports' themed evolution set for the starting trio. Soccer, Baseball, and....Water Polo? Not really sure on the third one, really.

Cool observation.

Shadowclaw191

I didn't notice the Soccer theming to Scorbunny or the double entendre that could turn it from Scor, as in Scorching, to Scor, as in Scoring. Same with Grookey; I didn't think too hard on it's stick. If they stick to the subtle 'theming' of the last generation or two, we could end up seeing a 'Sports' themed evolution set for the starting trio. Soccer, Baseball, and....Water Polo? Not really sure on the third one, really.

Cool observation.

the three of them reference Uk's biggest things, Music Sports and Film.
Groovey definitely is a music monkey due to all it's names translations being something with music and variation of monkey.

While in an earlier post i talked about what sobble references.

Shadowclaw191

Grookey being a music monkey. Maybe it'll be like DK? Carrying bongos around. It might end up carrying 2 sticks like drumsticks and play music with it.
Though honestly i would want it to be Grass Rock as a pun.

For Scorbunny, everyone can see that it's going to be sports themed. It's definitely going to kick a fireball as it's signature move. And because its runs fast, Fire Electric?

Give me Sobble to be a two headed lizard referencing masks of comedy and tragedy, perfect for a film reference.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
Cutting off speculation by making the fire starter bipedal from the start, clever move Gamefreak. I'd like to see their evolutions before making any final judgement, but so far Scorbunny is my favourite out of the three.

-Nator-

Something tells me that all the starters will gain no additional types for the first time since Generation II, though if they do, this is what I would like to see:

Scorbunny - Fire/Steel; Sp. Atk, Spe based (decent Atk)
Grookey - Grass/Dark; HP, Def, Sp. Def based (decent Sp. Atk)
Sobble - Water/Ghost; Atk, Sp. Atk, Spe based)

DannyDark

I'd definitely go along with..

Scorbunny = How massive football is here.
Grookey = How massive music is here.

Sobble is definitely the more ambiguous one.. It could purely be a reflection of our stereotypical weather; miserable and wet.

Shadowclaw191

I'd definitely go along with..

Scorbunny = How massive football is here.
Grookey = How massive music is here.

Sobble is definitely the more ambiguous one.. It could purely be a reflection of our stereotypical weather; miserable and wet.

Maybe it references how massive film is... by being a pokemon based off acting.

Bus

the three of them reference Uk's biggest things, Music Sports and Film.
Groovey definitely is a music monkey due to all it's names translations being something with music and variation of monkey.

While in an earlier post i talked about what sobble references.
Oooh...Grookey, a 'Groovy' Monkey! I get it! Cool
Sports, Music, and Film...although Film could actually be 'Theatre'. A lot of fantastic actors came out of England; I wouldn't put it past them to go for the more 'Shakespearean' angle. The dual masks of Comedy & Tragedy represented by a dual-headed lizard would be a really awesome idea; I love it.

Man, I wasn't sure how to really take these starters (other than the rabbit), but I'm loving them more now. This could be a really interesting theme.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I apologize if someone has already pointed this out, but was watching the trailer with my girlfriend and she pointed out Grookey has a witch doctor vibe to it. When hitting his stick on the ground, the grass grows back, and he keeps his stick in his hair (much as a stereotypical picture of a witch doctor would feature a bone in his hair).

Super excited to see where these guys end up going. So far I’m thinking Grass/Dark, Fire/Fighting, and Water/Ghost is the way they’ll go.

Shadowclaw191

Sports, Music, and Film...although Film could actually be 'Theatre'. A lot of fantastic actors came out of England; I wouldn't put it past them to go for the more 'Shakespearean' angle. The dual masks of Comedy & Tragedy represented by a dual-headed lizard would be a really awesome idea; I love it.

Man, I wasn't sure how to really take these starters (other than the rabbit), but I'm loving them more now. This could be a really interesting theme.

Oh yea theatre fits more than film. Thats probably how im gonna word their theme from now on. Also thanks for reading my theory on what they could be. XD

Bus

Oh yea theatre fits more than film. Thats probably how im gonna word their theme from now on. Also thanks for reading my theory on what they could be. XD
No problem; the 'Comedy & Tragedy' angle idea as shown in those masks is perfect. We've seen two-headed lizards before, and have 4 hulti-headed pokemon already, so it's not out of the question (Doduo, Dodrio, Zweilous, & Hydreigon).

I feel like all the best actors/actresses came from the U.K. Benedict Cumberbatch, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Alan Rickman, Sean Connery..I could go on forever! Nothing really screams 'U.K.' to me more than Theatre or Performing Arts.

Danhilt

Sobble can evolve into something like this
Sobble.600.2506410.jpg

dimetrodon_by_manuelsaurus_d95ia4y-pre.jpg

This thing is Dimetrodon, an amphibious mammal like reptile.

Has anyone seen the leaked spec sheet for Scorbunny’s final evo? It was leaked in June and was kinda ignored. Anyway it’s Fire/Steel and a bunny jet Pokémon!

Miar

Wigglytuff Guild recruit
Grookey's Stage 2: Grass/Fighting? Wouldn't be bad; Chesnaught and Breloom are two of my favorite Grass-types.
Or it could pull a Timburr and get a stronger weapon. Go Grass/Steel.
Whichever way, it's got a stick/staff and will make plenty of use of it. (Think Son Goku as a kid)

Scorbunny+2: It can have HJK (would beat steel), and I Guarantee Blaze Kick, but please, please just stay pure-Fire.

Sobble+2: Nothing hints at a new type for it, unless they want to do Ghost (invisible) or less likely Poison. Waiting for Stage 1 to at least make a solid guess.
Besides, learning Camouflage at ~LV17* will null any new types it gets anyway.
(*reckless but not baseless speculation--I genuinely expect this move)

Shadowclaw191

hello but I was looking at the japanese site for details on the new pokemon, and I found some interesting hints there
I'll send link for the site: https://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sword_shield/?top_main001=msign

Here are some things I noticed when the page is translated into English:

First of all, Grookey is said to be a "bastard pokemon". First of all, that's really bad language, I hope kids arent allowed on that site. Second of all, if he is a bastard that would suggest to me the dark type would be right for him. Perhaps he is jealous of another pokemon or maybe even a human character and that causes him to evolve this way.

Also you will notice, if you look to your right, that Sobble is referred to as "Meson" and "A slightly timid meson", perhaps this is his Japanese name? Also, it says that he "sits in the water and aims and shoots" and then it says "Misu rake pokemon". I typed that into google translate to translate it into Japanese and then into to English and it said that it means "mistake" in English. Could this mean that this pokemon is given to you by the professor on accident? or something more sinister? Perhaps he was a design they did not mean to include in the game? or it is a mistake to choose him? It could mean anything

I think most of it are translation errors, cause if you read the english site for this and slowly translate the words one by one, you'll get the somewhat a similar translation as the english one. If you take the original phrase. 好奇心旺盛でやんちゃな, it means curious and enthusiastic. however if you just keep the last 6 characters (でやんちゃな you'll get it translated to bastard, but removing the first character you turn it into naughty, which is what the english site describes it roughly as.

KKS-Lapras

I like the idea of the three being tied to Music, Sports, and Film/Theater. The Water starter, being skittish as in having stage-fright, that makes me like it even more!

shadowF

Ok, that makes more sense! Grookey being music, Scorbunny being sports and Sobble being Film/Theatre sound really cool! What would make sense for their typings though if they are related to these themes?

javimgol

Grookey evolves to Grass/Dark
Scorbunny to Fire/Fairy
Sobble to Water/Ghost

Another triangle incomplete in the secondary type

Bus

Ok, that makes more sense! Grookey being music, Scorbunny being sports and Sobble being Film/Theatre sound really cool! What would make sense for their typings though if they are related to these themes?

Typings related to their themes...hmm

Grass/Normal or Grass/Psychic; unsure. They could introduce 'Sound' as a new type; it has been 2 Generations since 'Fairy' was introduced, but I doubt it. Either 'Psychic' for 'Soundwaves' (bit of a stretch, I know) or 'Normal' since that's what the other 'Sound' based pokemon (Whismur line) is based on.

Water/Fairy for 'Theatre'; I know it's a stereotype to equate or imply the two, but I got nothing else lol. Maybe Water/Dark if, for 'Theatre' they decide to give it a 'Phantom of the Opera' final evolution look. Either that or its just flat 'Water' typing.

Fire/Electric to accentuate the speed of some sports or Fire/Fighting to represent the strength and stamina of players or something. As much as I don't like it, Fire/Fighting fits the theme very well and it has been 2 Generations since the last one. I've got nothing else for it, to be honest.

Dragon Pulse

I'm sorta unsure why some people think a starter would ever gain Normal as its secondary type upon evolution. It makes no sense, it adds absolutely nothing unique, and it would've had Normal as its secondary typing from its base stage (e.g. Rowlet as Grass/Flying, Bulbasaur as Grass/Poison, etc).