• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 8 Starters Evolution and Secondary Typing Predictions

DannyDark

I think it's quite a hard distinction to make.. as it should probably be assumed that all Grass types have the ability to replenish and grow plant-life. (Ingrain, Grassy Terrain and Synthesis are all Grass type healing moves.) And so it shouldn't really lend much weight to Fairy as a secondary typing.

However, with the ambiguity of the Fairy type... It could definitely be slapped on top of Grass to further the plant-healing notion. It's certainly not hurt by Comfey's signature move, Floral Healing, being for some reason a Fairy-type move.

anjunajake

you were the sun & moon to me
Honestly after Rowlet very randomly getting a Grass/Ghost final stage (don't get me wrong love the typing) all bets are off for Grookey and other starters.

Grass/Rock would rock.
Grass/Steel would be so metal.

I can also see Grass/Dark or Grass/Psychic working too. And of course the pipe dream that is Grass/Electric.

I agree, it's a cool typing but I'm still not a fan of this. How does something become a Ghost type in its final evo? Does that mean it passes away/dies? Lol. If so, they should explain it, IMO. I remember someone saying in a an old XY anime thread that Ash's Rowlet constantly sleeping was alluding to its eventual involution to ghost (an "endless sleep"). Something like that would have made more sense! Lol. Especially cause Decidueye doesn't seem to really have any ghost qualities.

Anyway, I'm personally hoping for Grass/Rock cause that would be pretty cool and different. But grass/psychic would too, based on its ability to heal plants with its stick. Grass/Fairy works, but there's just so many concepts around that idea already, it's a bit tired, IMO.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I agree, it's a cool typing but I'm still not a fan of this. How does something become a Ghost type in its final evo? Does that mean it passes away/dies? Lol. If so, they should explain it, IMO. I remember someone saying in a an old XY anime thread that Ash's Rowlet constantly sleeping was alluding to its eventual involution to ghost (an "endless sleep"). Something like that would have made more sense! Lol. Especially cause Decidueye doesn't seem to really have any ghost qualities

Decidueye is based off of many owls, but is most similar to the Pueo owl, which are believed to be physical manifestations of ’aumakua (ancestral spirits in Hawaiian lore and culture). The common barn owl- known as the ‘ghost owl’- and the stilt owl- an extinct species- also serve as design inspirations for it. In general, owls have always been regarded as having deep connections to the supernatural; some cultures believe they’re bad omens or signs of death as well. It’s confusing if you don’t know about owls and their historical connotations, but it completely makes sense if you dig into it.

Last edited:

anjunajake

That really makes it make so much more sense! Definitely gives me a new respect for the choice. I guess I just wish it was given some sort of explanation in game, or given more lore and background. But I suppose that never really happens with any other starter and their lore/background either.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I agree, it's a cool typing but I'm still not a fan of this. How does something become a Ghost type in its final evo? Does that mean it passes away/dies? Lol. If so, they should explain it, IMO. I remember someone saying in a an old XY anime thread that Ash's Rowlet constantly sleeping was alluding to its eventual involution to ghost (an "endless sleep"). Something like that would have made more sense! Lol. Especially cause Decidueye doesn't seem to really have any ghost qualities.

I have no issue with it gaining that typing. And in all honesty, I really wanted it to, and joking suggested it drop the /Flying to become Grass/Ghost.

I was more so referring to how the /Ghost typing comes from nowhere because nothing about Rowlet or Dartrix suggests that typing is on its way. And honestly, Decidueye's design doesn't really scream it much either. Heck it's descriptions don't.

But I'm ok with it lol. Honestly I love the typings off all three gen7 starters.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
I have a theory that all three Galar starters will have the same base speed stat, but unlike the Alolan starters, the speed stat is their highest base stat.

anjunajake

I have a theory that all three Galar starters will have the same base speed stat, but unlike the Alolan starters, the speed stat is their highest base stat.

Why do you think this? As far as I know, nothing like that has ever been the case with their stats. They're always distributed differently and have never had the same base of any one stat.

Dragon Pulse

Personally I like the rumored typings of Grass/Rock, Fire and Water/Ghost. Especially Water/Ghost, that's my number one hope for Sobble.

I was more so referring to how the /Ghost typing comes from nowhere because nothing about Rowlet or Dartrix suggests that typing is on its way. And honestly, Decidueye's design doesn't really scream it much either. Heck it's descriptions don't.
I'm not gonna lie, while Rowlet's line is probably one of my favorite starter lines (if not my absolute favorite), I did find it random with the jump from Dartrix to Decidueye. Dartrix is sorta snobby and has a prestige-like manner, and it evolves into a... ghostly Robin Hood-esque assassin owl?

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Personally I like the rumored typings of Grass/Rock, Fire and Water/Ghost. Especially Water/Ghost, that's my number one hope for Sobble.

I'm not gonna lie, while Rowlet's line is probably one of my favorite starter lines (if not my absolute favorite), I did find it random with the jump from Dartrix to Decidueye. Dartrix is sorta snobby and has a prestige-like manner, and it evolves into a... ghostly Robin Hood-esque assassin owl?

Aspects of it work, others are odd. It's wings are pretty awkward and give it a very long/tall look in the process. I get what they were going for, but like I said awkward.

The thing that gets me most about it's design is like Rowlet and Dartrix are 100% identifiable as owls, there is no doubt. But I feel like between. The awkward wings and the rest of it's body shape, you know it's a bird, but the type could be debated. It just doesn't feel as much like an owl as the other two, and that makes me sad.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Dartrix is sorta snobby and has a prestige-like manner, and it evolves into a... ghostly Robin Hood-esque assassin owl?
I've always thought of Dartrix/Decidueye to be based loosely on the DC's Green Arrow.

Mostly because Dartrix is quite snobby and fancy, then Decidueye drops all that for a sort of cloaked, bow-wielding assassin. Which is super similar to the story line the Green Arrow has in the comics/TV show. Ghost typing also fits in here too, as the character got shipwrecked and was thought dead for ~5 years before becoming an assassin.

Just always thought that was what the line was based around, or at least took inspiration from. Just makes sense to me.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Design trumps typing in my eye so I hope they all look nice.. that said water-Ghost or water psychic sound good to me.

I've always thought of Dartrix/Decidueye to be based loosely on the DC's Green Arrow.

Mostly because Dartrix is quite snobby and fancy, then Decidueye drops all that for a sort of cloaked, bow-wielding assassin. Which is super similar to the story line the Green Arrow has in the comics/TV show. Ghost typing also fits in here too, as the character got shipwrecked and was thought dead for ~5 years before becoming an assassin.

Just always thought that was what the line was based around, or at least took inspiration from. Just makes sense to me.

I mean the story of Robin Hood is a about a noble who decides to instead become a bow-wielding outlaw. And Robin Hood is a hundreds of year old story about a hero of folklore who definitely inspired the idea of the green arrow (JLtas ftw). And so I makes more sense for that to the inspiration for decidueye be than a relatively unheard of (well before he got a TV show at least but I think they started making sun and moon before Arrow exploded in popularity) dc superhero. Don't get me wrong I like the green arrow I just think robin hood is the the more likely inspiration.

anjunajake

I just wish they provided us with some in game lore or explanation as to how or why it became a ghost. It doesn't even have ghost like qualities. For one, it's SOLID. LOL. It's a cool line over all though, and I do love the ghost typing. I haven't gotten to far in the anime, I'm wondering if it's ghost like qualities are more apparent there. But knowing the anime, I'm afraid I'll see a tackle going it or something and it'll just bother me, lol.

Speaking of part ghost,and to bring this on topic more, I'm still holding out for Sobble's final evo being Ghost. Water/Ghost is such a cool typing, and I'd love to get a more offensive variant of typing since Jellicent is pretty defensive. I also think the ghost typing could actually play into its lore since it's a spy unlike our friend Decidueye. I know people are speculating /Psychic but I'm hoping that's wrong. Just not a fan of psychic typing. If it's going to be anything other than /Ghost, I hope it's /Dragon, but for some reason GF doesn't seem to ever want to give us a /Dragon starter, even though they're already given us a /Fairy which is arguably even stronger. Dragons aren't the OP typing they once were, I think we could have a /Dragon starter.

My predictions:
Grass/Rock or Psychic (Personal Bias Typing: Grass/Dark)
Fire/Fighting or Normal (Personal Bias Typing: Fire/Electric)
Water/Ghost or Poison
Stat Predictions:
Grookey:
HP 43 > 52 > 80
ATK 73 > 87 > 119
DEF 62 > 79 > 107
SP. ATK 32 > 64 > 74
SP. DEF 45 > 55 > 78
SPD 45 > 55 > 72
BST 305 > 410 > 530
Evolution name predicts:
Chimpani (Chimp + Timpani), Rhythmape (Rhythm + ape)
Signature Move
Rock Out
Physical
Rock/Dark
Basically outrage
HA: Own Tempo (+ Rock Out will be fun)
Scorbunny
58 > 73 > 85 HP
72 > 89 > 112 Attack
35 > 50 > 70 Defense
37 > 55 > 75 Sp. Attack
35 > 50 > 70 Sp. Defense
68 > 93 > 118 Speed
BST: 305 > 410 > 530
Evolution name predict:
Qwincoal (Cwingen + coal)
Signature Move:
Exercise
Status
Normal
Raisies a random stat sharply
HA: Reckless (So he can really take advantage of those Flare Blitzes, Double Edges, Wild Charges and High Jump Kicks)
Sobble
HP: 58 > 73 > 89
ATK: 42 > 59 > 73
DEF: 43 > 58 > 75
SP. ATK: 67 > 87 > 118
SP. DEF: 53 > 65 > 75
SPD: 62 > 88 > 100
BST: 305 > 410 > 530
No need for name predicts cause of the confirmed Sizzile and Intelleon
Signature Move:
Spy Swipe
Ghost
Special
Steals opponent's item
HA: Protean

Dragon Pulse

Fire/Fighting or Normal (Personal Bias Typing: Fire/Electric)
I'm not sure why you'd think it'd become Fire/Normal. If so, Normal is a typing where it would've had from the first stage. To me it isn't a typing you can gain upon evolution because it doesn't have enough flare to it. What would that add to Scorbunny? Nothing much. Also, no Pokémon has ever gained Normal upon evolving.

I'm not sure why you'd think it'd become Fire/Normal. If so, Normal is a typing where it would've had from the first stage. To me it isn't a typing you can gain upon evolution because it doesn't have enough flare to it. What would that add to Scorbunny? Nothing much. Also, no Pokémon has ever gained Normal upon evolving.
I really just based it off the fact it's white, and it doesn't have any flashy powers, like Sobble's invisibility or Grookey's revitalizing drumming.

supersarepi

I really just based it off the fact it's white, and it doesn't have any flashy powers, like Sobble's invisibility or Grookey's revitalizing drumming.

That might be more a hint to it staying pure fire though (like the Affleck leak says), rather than becoming Fire/Normal.