• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Legendaries - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness

Luxeon

I'm sure they're still two different Pokemon, but I do most like the theory I've seen that Miraidon is the modern, artifically-constructed recreation of the ancient being Koraidon, with the former being completely mechanical and the latter being completely biological. I think a likely angle for the games to take is "pre-technology vs. technology" and this distinction for the legendaries would represent that perfectly.

Copley Hill Gym

I'm sure they're still two different Pokemon, but I do most like the theory I've seen that Miraidon is the modern, artifically-constructed recreation of the ancient being Koraidon, with the former being completely mechanical and the latter being completely biological. I think a likely angle for the games to take is "pre-technology vs. technology" and this distinction for the legendaries would represent that perfectly.

That’s a nice take. It would make a lot of sense.

I feel like there’s definitely a sort of mew/mewtwo vibe to the box legends, where the violet one resembles the scarlet one but basically artificially created, as you say.

Would be good to get a set of legends with a decent back story, after a few generations where the material throughout the games plot has been a bit flimsy.

scififan21

That’s a nice take. It would make a lot of sense.

I feel like there’s definitely a sort of mew/mewtwo vibe to the box legends, where the violet one resembles the scarlet one but basically artificially created, as you say.

Would be good to get a set of legends with a decent back story, after a few generations where the material throughout the games plot has been a bit flimsy.
I don't know how you feel about SwSh legendary backgrounds, but I thought it was alright though the pacing on those games was awful, but I'd liked running into your legendary at the beginning that was fun. :)

Copley Hill Gym

There were some nice moments with the Sw/Sh legends but the build up, for example, with the legendary dogs and the weather duo or the Regi’s really added to the story and overall enjoyment of their respective titles.

End of the day, it’s not a make or break for me.

Dragon Pulse

Definitely my fav pair of box legendaries since Solgaleo and Lunala. They're both really cohesive, leaning slightly towards Koraidon more, but they're both pretty to me which is unusual to say for a legendary. I've always appreciated every mascot legendary, but the SM ones have always been my favorite, and now these two will be joining them. I also like that they're very lizard-like, as I love lizards.

MagicEspeon

P. F. Magician
I'm really into dragons that lean into the historical roots of dragons as snakes and I absolutely adore just how snake-like the heads of Koraidon and Miraidon are. I'm pretty torn between them honestly. When I first saw them Miraidon was my favorite but then I changed my mind to Koraidon, but now I'm back to liking Miraidon more again.

Miraidon incorporates its vehicle elements more seamlessly by virtue of being robotic, but I'm dying to know what Koraidon looks like tucking in its legs to be ridden like a motorcycle. Overall though Miraidon's shapes are more appealing to me personally because its a bit more serpentine than Koraidon is (not that I dislike its shapes, because it also has excellent shapes).

Luthor

If the types are indeed Dragon/Fighting and Dragon/Electric is it the first time version Mascot types overlap (outside of Charizard and Ho-oh)?

I wish Miraidon had some unique type but it screams Electric or Steel so no chance not to overlap.

Kuraidon being Fighting type makes sense but it could've been as well Ground or Rock (type of the fossils) but fighting is ok for me. Besides the 4x Fairy Weakenss so unless it has some alt form or ability it won't go that far in competetive. It will probably just a stronger Kommo-o.

MIraidon might be extremely fast which is always welcomed.

Mascots have shared at least one type before even in the same generation.
Dialga, Palkia and Giratina were dragon.
Ho-oh and Lugia- both Flying
Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem (inlcluding forms)- all Dragon.
Solgeleo, Lunala, & Necrozma(inlcluding forms)- All Psychic
Crowned Form Zacian and Zamazenta- Both steel (though in those forms only)

Sharing types amongst mascots is quite common which makes sense to me if they are supposed to be heavily connected which I think is very likely for the two new legendaries.

ShadowForce720

Mascots have shared at least one type before even in the same generation.
Dialga, Palkia and Giratina were dragon.
Ho-oh and Lugia- both Flying
Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem (inlcluding forms)- all Dragon.
Solgeleo, Lunala, & Necrozma(inlcluding forms)- All Psychic
Crowned Form Zacian and Zamazenta- Both steel (though in those forms only)

Sharing types amongst mascots is quite common which makes sense to me if they are supposed to be heavily connected which I think is very likely for the two new legendaries.
You know it’s kind of funny when you think about it that we could be have a case where the legendary mascot trio for gen 9 is basically just 3 different forms of the same mon and the only reason they wind up being considered different mons is because they have such a large time gap between them.

To where the legendary mascot trio is just the Past, Present, and Future versions of just a single mon.lol XD

Of course them being the same mon and their being a 3rd one that represents the present isn’t confirmed yet.

Luthor

You know it’s kind of funny when you think about it that we could be have a case where the legendary mascot trio for gen 9 is basically just 3 different forms of the same mon and the only reason they wind up being considered different mons is because they have such a large time gap between them.

To where the legendary mascot trio is just the Past, Present, and Future versions of just a single mon.lol XD

Of course them being the same mon and their being a 3rd one that represents the present isn’t confirmed yet.

It would be interesting if that is the case. Which I do think is quite plausible. Even if its just a legendary duo its still an interesting concept. There's clearly a connection given how similar they look and with just the past and future look of the professors it seems plausible. I suppose we have technically had the same legendary Pokemon before just in merged forms (Necrozma forms and Kyurem forms) and Pokemon that come from the same evolutionary line (Lunala & Solgeleo) and technically the same Pokemon split into 3 (Zekrom, Reshiram & Kyurem) so I suppose we shouldn't be that surprised.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
These are some great designs. Not as good as the preceding Kalos, Alola, or Galar duos but definitely not bad. My main issues with them are that they don’t feel like major Legendaries to me (more along the lines of something like the Legendary Birds or Guardian Deities), the motorcycle motif is a bit jarring, and if they are allegedly Dragons, it’s somewhat disappointing for me. Maybe their in game look will make like them more.

Dragon Pulse

If there is a third legendary and it potentially represents present time, Normal/Dragon would make sense to me typing wise as the idea of a present day throughout history has been associated with normality, as no one knows any different. Although apparently there is a third dragon that'll be Dark/Dragon, kinda unsure how that'll fit?

Luthor

If there is a third legendary and it potentially represents present time, Normal/Dragon would make sense to me typing wise as the idea of a present day throughout history has been associated with normality, as no one knows any different. Although apparently there is a third dragon that'll be Dark/Dragon, kinda unsure how that'll fit?

It could be an implication that the present is the darkest part of the timeline is in the present (which would be quite a dark commentary on present society) or what I think is more likely if it will be a Dark/Dragon then it might represent something like Anti-Time or Absence of Time. Of course that assumes there will be a 3rd Legendary and it will be Dark/Dragon.

Luxeon

I like Miraidon being Electric, but I don't know how much I really like Koraidon being Fighting... well, I suppose the concept of "Fighting" being punches and kicks or otherwise "physical attacking" concepts does go well with its ancient, pre-technology theme. The other possibility would be for it to be a Rock-type since that's the go-to type for "ancient." In either case, it'd only be the second time, since the only Dragon and Fighting type is the Kommo-o line while the only Dragon and Rock type is the Tyrantrum line.

But also... Zamazenta was a Fighting-type just last Gen so that's another good reason to not revisit it again so soon.

Even if Koraidon is probably Fighting, it's interesting to think about.

As for them being Dragons, I guess this would only be the third time the duo box legends would be Dragons after Gen 4 and 5 (though Gen 3 had Rayquaza).

Gen 9 Msater

I think that Miridion is going to get a lot more fucus in the games than the red one, and the future professor will get more fucus too, and they will team up (perhaps they will ride on each other?), since they represent the future, and this is the newest games. Perhaps the red motorbike guy representing the past can be digitally inserted into an older game? There are many possibilities for this type of idea