• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Legendaries - Discussion/Speculation Thread

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
These legendaries are very underwhelming to me... as overall legendaries so especially as box ones
I treat them as bicycles and no more

Luthor

Yeah, while I did enjoy Lillie and Nebby's story, it did feel more like we were just her muscle. Sure, we bonded with Nebby but I would've liked to bond with it on a more personal level.

I also don't feel like the multiplayer ruins how unique these legends are. You're playing alongside other people with access to similar Pokemon, it's not like they wouldn't use these Pokemon. They're also not even actually there in terms of the actual game, sure they're there but no one's going to acknowledge the other players unless they serve a function like the Pokemon Center. I'm also not sure how their ride forms ruin anything. Their bodies don't change too drastically and besides that it's not as though these are the first legends to be made rideable.

Though, this might be more because I'm thinking of what this implies about Koraidon and Miraidon and their lore. Of the rideable legends we have Solgaleo, Lunala, Latios, and Latias. Lunala and Solgaleo didn't change their forms. Only Latios and Latias changed forms and we've seen that it wasn't entirely needed for travel. The fact that Koraidon and Miraidon can change forms, adapting to whatever the player needs, and seem to be physically made for humans. Also the fact that they presumably do this when you help them after what could be a crash landing, it could hold a connection to their lore. Of course, it's equally likely that it was just a design choice.

Yeah we know so little about their lore there could easily be a logical reason behind it. Miraidon seems like an artificial Pokemon (or at least artificially augmented) and the same might be true of Koraidon too (could be something like ancient alchemy or ancient magic). We've had artificial legendries before.

Akashin

Yeah, while I did enjoy Lillie and Nebby's story, it did feel more like we were just her muscle. Sure, we bonded with Nebby but I would've liked to bond with it on a more personal level.

I also don't feel like the multiplayer ruins how unique these legends are. You're playing alongside other people with access to similar Pokemon, it's not like they wouldn't use these Pokemon. They're also not even actually there in terms of the actual game, sure they're there but no one's going to acknowledge the other players unless they serve a function like the Pokemon Center. I'm also not sure how their ride forms ruin anything. Their bodies don't change too drastically and besides that it's not as though these are the first legends to be made rideable.

Though, this might be more because I'm thinking of what this implies about Koraidon and Miraidon and their lore. Of the rideable legends we have Solgaleo, Lunala, Latios, and Latias. Lunala and Solgaleo didn't change their forms. Only Latios and Latias changed forms and we've seen that it wasn't entirely needed for travel. The fact that Koraidon and Miraidon can change forms, adapting to whatever the player needs, and seem to be physically made for humans. Also the fact that they presumably do this when you help them after what could be a crash landing, it could hold a connection to their lore. Of course, it's equally likely that it was just a design choice.
Solgaleo and Lunala actually raise an interesting point, insofar as the issue of rarity is concerned. Irregardless of how many Koraidons and Miraidons we'll be seeing racing across Paldea, they're still (most likely) unique within each player's world. Solgaleo and Lunala, meanwhile, were duplicated (twice over in USUM) within their own games. Not to say I had a problem with that, but those two are much more guilty of having a lack of rarity than these two appear to.

aerial_ace

How is that any worse than, for instance, joining a Max Raid and having all four participants throw out Zacian/Zamazenta or Eternatus? Does being made to see that other people have access to the Legendary really devalue it that much for you?
Max raids are jus battles lasting 3 minutes or so and people didn't use the legends all that much and i played countless of hours doing raids. Miraidon and Koraidon will be everywhere if you are playing coop. I feel like using legends in battle is a bit different than using it as a bike

MagicEspeon

P. F. Magician
Personally I'm really glad we'll be getting the chance to bond with the box legendaries over the course of our journey. I don't think them being able to be ridden really devalues them in any way. I also don't think them being able to be ridden necessarily means that they aren't important. It could easily be the case that they are important to Paldea's history and have chosen the player character as the best candidate to fulfill a task for them, so they need to stick by them to help them on their journey.

I love the fact the legendaries are bikes in this game, it satisfies a pure child-like fantasy of getting to ride a cool and special dragon. Is that not enough to justify their use as bikes in this fun game for children? I think that matters far more than any adult's opinions on whether or not being able to ride a cool dragon breaks the lore and devalues said cool dragon.

ShadowForce720

Max raids are jus battles lasting 3 minutes or so and people didn't use the legends all that much and i played countless of hours doing raids. Miraidon and Koraidon will be everywhere if you are playing coop. I feel like using legends in battle is a bit different than using it as a bike
Think of each individual copy of the game Scarlet & Violet as a very similar but separate universe.

So basically when your playing coop the other 3 players are being teleported to the hosts universe or all 4 players(that includes the hosts are teleported/shifted to a shared universe.

So basically no, having 4 players in coop each having one of the two mascots legendaries for Scarlet & Violet and riding them is not devaluing the legendaries because there not all coming from just the exact same universe.Plus in coop you really only ever going to see at most 3 other players and they will only be people that are joining your party.

This isn’t really like the Let’s Go games where in that coop both characters are in the exact same universe so both can’t just be using Mewtwo in battle in the games unless they traded for a 2nd Mewtwo or got another one at a event or something.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
The more I see Koraidon, the more I am reminded of Toothless from HTTYD. I might even give him that nickname.

Jason White

AspiringPsych
The more I see Koraidon, the more I am reminded of Toothless from HTTYD. I might even give him that nickname.
That's exactly what I thought of after re-watching the latest trailer. At first I was put off by the idea that it doesn't use its wheels (though I get why) but after thinking of Toothless I think I now want Scarlett.

Ultra Beast Lover

It's hard to choose. Koraidon's little bounce is adorable and I want to use Larvitar, yet Miraidon is so cool. I've been dreaming of having a motorcycle in a main series Pokemon game for a long time. The imagery of the player strolling into town on a bike is just too big to pass up.

Copley Hill Gym

I know the developers have said they disliked Coliseum and XD...but the new legendries and the clear motorbike motif are very much hark backs to those Gamecube games.

Also, I am pretty certain we've seen another new Pokémon - the engine Pokémon may well be the thing in the front of the hoverbus we have seen.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I know some think these Pokemon are not what Legendary Pokemon should be and that them being your ride Pokemon makes them feel like they aren't. But...

Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres-Legendary Pokemon you just happen to find sitting around, then become most players main Flying Hm Pokemon
Latios and Latias-Pretty much your own airplane

In other cases for random Legendary Pokemon helping you out.

The Swords of Justice-Just show up and you can have them to take on pretty much most of the story before the climax in BW2

Koraidon and Miraidon may not be Creation Trio or Light Trio levels of godly powers. But they do indeed fit a group of Legendaries that trainers can bond with. It is most likely we find them weakened anyways and the treasure hunt for us, is to find their loss powers.

Ultra Beast Lover

Either the treasure hunt or the flags have to do with finding their lost power.

I'm frankly ok with this. I don't mind finding the Legendary, fighting, and catching them but I also enjoy this, it makes it more personal to us when we actually catch them. I liked Nebby in SuMoUSUM but that always felt more like Lillie's Pokemon, she had the connection to it, she protected and raised it. We were more or less just a person Nebby and Lillie liked that, in the end, got to catch it because they both asked us to. Now we're in her position. Sure, we probably won't have to protect it, or get kidnapped for it, but we're still travelling with it, befriending it, learning about it.

Although, you know what would be kinda cool? If at some point your Legend is captured, forcing you to rescue it which ends in you having to catch it.

Autobot N

It's hard to choose. Koraidon's little bounce is adorable and I want to use Larvitar, yet Miraidon is so cool. I've been dreaming of having a motorcycle in a main series Pokemon game for a long time. The imagery of the player strolling into town on a bike is just too big to pass up.
Or this:
8omKMsA.jpg

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I wonder if the Ride-on duo will be mostly unknown pokémon (iirc people didn't knew what Zacian/Zamazenta looked lie. Something like that), so people won't be able to tell that pokémon accompanying you is a legendary.

It would be weird if Joey saw you arriving on top of a legendary pokémon and still thought his Rattata could beat you.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
It would be weird if Joey saw you arriving on top of a legendary pokémon and still thought his Rattata could beat you.
He would probably make some snarky comment about how his shorts are breezy and easy to wear before he tried to beat you down with said Rattata.

Luthor

Either the treasure hunt or the flags have to do with finding their lost power.

I'm frankly ok with this. I don't mind finding the Legendary, fighting, and catching them but I also enjoy this, it makes it more personal to us when we actually catch them. I liked Nebby in SuMoUSUM but that always felt more like Lillie's Pokemon, she had the connection to it, she protected and raised it. We were more or less just a person Nebby and Lillie liked that, in the end, got to catch it because they both asked us to. Now we're in her position. Sure, we probably won't have to protect it, or get kidnapped for it, but we're still travelling with it, befriending it, learning about it.

Although, you know what would be kinda cool? If at some point your Legend is captured, forcing you to rescue it which ends in you having to catch it.

Yeah it always did feel that it was Lillie's Pokemon more than ours to me. This way at least it ends up essential throughout the journey and then can eventually be worth commanding it.