• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Pokemon Power

Title says it all. So far, we've seen 23 Pokemon. In addition to the new starters, we have Pikachu, Meowth, Psyduck, Magnemite, Hoppip, Blissey, Larvitar, Pelipper, Swablu, Seviper, Starly, Combee, Drifloon, Lucario, Petilil, Red Flower Flabebe, Clauncher, Bounsweet and Stonjourner. Also, you can bring Hisuian Zoroark over from Legends via Pokemon Home. It's entirely possible that other forms of these Pokemon are usable, and their evolutionary relatives will probably pop up too.
EDIT: Here are the lists of confirmed and semi-confirmed Pokemon so far. Will be updated as time progresses.
Confirmed:
Pikachu
Raichu
Jigglypuff
Venonat
Meowth
Persian
Psyduck
Golduck
Growlithe
Arcanine
Magnemite
Shellder
Gastly
Haunter
Gengar
Magikarp
Gyarados
Eevee
Dragonair
Dragonite
Pichu
Mareep
Flaaffy
Marill
Azumarill
Hoppip
Paldean Wooper
Murkrow
Slowking
Misdreavus
Girafarig
Pineco
Scizor
Houndour
Houndoom
Donphan
Blissey
Larvitar
Pelipper
Kirlia
Gardevoir
Vigoroth
Slaking
Makuhita
Hariyama
Sableye
Cacnea
Cacturne
Swablu
Altaria
Seviper
Snorunt
Bagon
Starly
Luxio
Luxray
Combee
Pachirisu
Drifloon
Drifblim
Mismagius
Honchkrow
Bronzong
Lucario
Hippowdon
Lumineon
Rotom
Petilil
Lilligant
Hisuian Zoroark
Autumn Deerling
Summer and Autumn Sawsbuck
Eelektross
Cubchoo
Beartic
Cryogonal
Hydreigon
Fletchling
Talonflame
Spewpa
Red Flower Flabebe
Skiddo
Gogoat
Clauncher
Clawitzer
Sylveon
Noibat
Noivern
Rockruff
Toxapex
Mudbray
Lurantis
Bounsweet
Tsareena
Skwovet
Greedent
Chewtle
Drednaw
Coalossal
Sinistea
Polteageist
Hatterene
Pincurchin
Stonjourner
Eiscue
Cuffant
Sprigatito
Fuecoco
Quaxly
Pawmi
Smoliv
Lechonk
Fidough
Cetitan
Koraidon
Miraidon
Total: 116
Semi-confirmed:
Alolan Raichu
Wigglytuff
Venomoth
Alolan Meowth
Galarian Meowth
Alolan Persian
Hisuian Growlithe
Hisuian Arcanine
Slowpoke
Galarian Slowpoke
Slowbro
Galarian Slowbro
Magneton
Cloyster
Chansey
Scyther
Vaporeon
Jolteon
Flareon
Dratini
Igglybuff
Ampharos
Skiploom
Jumpluff
Wooper
Quagsire
Espeon
Umbreon
Galarian Slowking
Forretress
Phanpy
Pupitar
Tyranitar
Wingull
Ralts
Slakoth
Azurill
Glalie
Shelgon
Salamence
Staravia
Staraptor
Shinx
Vespiquen
Bronzor
Happiny
Riolu
Hippopotas
Finneon
Magnezone
Leafeon
Glaceon
Gallade
Froslass
Other Rotom forms (Heat, Wash, Frost, Fan and Mow)
Hisuian Lilligant
Zorua
Hisuian Zorua
Zoroark
Other Deerling forms (Spring, Summer and Winter)
Other Swasbuck forms (Spring and Winter)
Tynamo
Eelektrik
Deino
Zweilous
Fletchinder
Scatterbug
Vivillon
Other Flabebe forms
Floette
Florges
Lycanroc
Mareanie
Mudsdale
Fomantis
Steenee
Rolycoly
Carkol
Hatenna
Hattrem
Perrserker
Copperajah
Kleavor
New starter evolutions
Third legendary Pokemon
Grand Total: 189

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Well it's already been confirmed that Dexit is still in effect (not that this is much of a surprise). So the big question is how many Pokemon are in the game and which ones?

I'm growing concerned because most of the Dexit era games have had smaller regional dexes with diversity issues, but those games were also based on old content which had smaller regional dexes to begin with while the only exception is a newer game (SwSh). Still, I'm worried that the jump to console and the shift towards more open areas might mean smaller regional dexes are here to stay.

Additionally, there are IIRC about 60 Pokemon that didn't make the cut to any Gen 8 game. I'd like to see all of them in this game. And out of the small selection we've seen, there hasn't been a lot of promise towards them addressing that. The only missing Pokemon from Gen 8 currently confirmed for SV is the Flabebe line and there's been a lot of common, recently shown Pokemon reappearing in this game (Pikachu, Psyduck, Magnemite, Combee, Drifloon). I don't want them to set a precedent of certain Pokemon being gone for multiple generations and having to wait potentially 5-10 years to see them again, so I'm going to be keeping an eye out to see if they bring some of these Pokemon back.

Pokemon Power

My hopes
-95 new Pokemon to hit 1000 exactly. 18 variants.
-At least a regional dex of 450.
-Seeing Pokemon that didn't get to appear in SwSh, BDSP, and PLA like the Kalos starters.
I think it would be more like 1,001, as a callback to how the first generation had 151.

Kangaflora

If the trend for new Regional Forms continue, I can see 20 Pokémon getting new Regional Forms. They could use the scrapped Gorochu as a brand new Regional Form for Raichu. I for one would like to see Alakazam have a new Regional Form alongside Dunsparce, Pinsir, Heracross and Shuckle. I would also love to see different forms for Sirfetch'd, Mr. Rime, Cursola, Obstagoon, Perrserker and Runerigus as Pokémon that evolve from the regular forms of Farfetch'd, Mr. Mime, Corsola, Linoone, Meowth and Yamask respectively via a new Evolution item.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I saw that Flabebe was confirmed, but I didn't find it in the trailer? Where was it shown?

But I'm SO excited it is back, I missed it so much since it wasn't in any Gen 8 game.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I saw that Flabebe was confirmed, but I didn't find it in the trailer? Where was it shown?

But I'm SO excited it is back, I missed it so much since it wasn't in any Gen 8 game.

There appear to be a few of them sitting in the grass by the player's house.

Check 2:14 in the trailer. They're really tiny (but that's accurate scaling, as the dex says they're only 4 in/0.1 m tall), but they seem to be there.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
There appear to be a few of them sitting in the grass by the player's house.

Check 2:14 in the trailer. They're really tiny (but that's accurate scaling, as the dex says they're only 4 in/0.1 m tall), but they seem to be there.
Wow. That's really hard to spot since they easily blend in. Can't wait to find Joltik if it's in.

Ultra Beast Lover

It's hidden in the grass, it's at the part where the player is running away from the mansion

nickdt

Perfect region to give Tauros (And by extension Miltank) a regional form.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think this might be the region where we finally get a proper dolphin Pokémon judging by the coastline we saw in the trailer. Surprised there weren’t any regional forms shown though as there usually is a tiny glimpse of one in reveal trailers. Also Venonat and Venomoth deserve a spot in this Dex as they were only in the first 2 Gens’ Dexes while every other Gen 1 Pokémon have been in at least one more regional Dex since GSC.

MrJechgo

Unpopular opinion: I want GameFreak to select every single missing typing in standard play, including typings that are exclusive to Legendaries and Mythicals, and make one design per typing. Once that's done, then focus on other returning typings.

Personal wishlist:
  • First bird being Electric/Flying, based on bustards
  • Second bird being Fairy/Flying, based on flamingos, and bonus points if it has a flaminco flair ;)
  • Third bird being Grass/Flying, based on grouses
  • Rodent being Normal/Steel, based on porcupines
  • Regional Tauros and Miltank being Normal/Rock... and Miltank still hated :p
  • Pikachu clone being Electric/Fighting, based on hares
  • Snake being Poison/Steel, based on snub-nosed vipers

Kdude146

I think this would be the perfect region to be the original region of Corphish & Crawdaunt since every region we have had since the introduction of regional forms there is always one of them that is said to be the original form of the species. My idea is they are Water/Rock type. The minerals in the water give Corphish and Crawdaunt a rocky shell. These minerals are only found in this region so when people took them to other regions they lost their rocky shell.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Well it's already been confirmed that Dexit is still in effect (not that this is much of a surprise). So the big question is how many Pokemon are in the game and which ones?
Where was this confirmed? I don't see it anywhere on the official English page in the text or as a footnote. I know there is a screenshot posted on the Serebii twitter account, but they don't link to the actual source. It's also not listed as a footnote in the announcement trailer. So...citation needed.

If this is true, then its kind of frustrating. I can understand not having a NatDex in the newer games or making every Pokemon catchable in the wild. But now that we have Pokemon Home, we should be able to carry forward our Pokemon from previous generations.

Or they need to move the VCG out of the mainline game and into a game dedicated to battling and competitive.

Where was this confirmed? I don't see it anywhere on the official English page in the text or as a footnote. I know there is a screenshot posted on the Serebii twitter account, but they don't link to the actual source. It's also not listed as a footnote in the announcement trailer. So...citation needed.

If this is true, then its kind of frustrating. I can understand not having a NatDex in the newer games or making every Pokemon catchable in the wild. But now that we have Pokemon Home, we should be able to carry forward our Pokemon from previous generations.

Or they need to move the VCG out of the mainline game and into a game dedicated to battling and competitive.
It's listed in a footnote in the press release: https://press.pokemon.com/en/releas...MES-POKEMON-SCARLET-AND-POKEMON-VIOLET-#_ftn1
[1]Each game that can receive Pokémon via Pokémon HOME can receive only Pokémon that can be obtained in that particular game. To find out what Pokémon appear in Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet, please look forward to the release of those games.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
It's listed in a footnote in the press release: https://press.pokemon.com/en/releas...MES-POKEMON-SCARLET-AND-POKEMON-VIOLET-#_ftn1
[1]Each game that can receive Pokémon via Pokémon HOME can receive only Pokémon that can be obtained in that particular game. To find out what Pokémon appear in Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet, please look forward to the release of those games.

Good, I like it this way.

This makes regional dexes far more unique and worth investing in. I'm excited to see which 'mons make the cut!