• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Ignition

Most Serebii users are actually Pikachu
I mean it already is a bit in terms of practicality. :p

I admit however making the Amulet Coin give Meowth more power might go against the point of it, since it's meant to allow you to make more money by spamming Pay Day.
That’s true though modern Pokémon games make earning money easy. I have over 6 million in SwSh even after buying every TM and all clothing choices.

DatsRight

That’s true though modern Pokémon games make earning money easy. I have over 6 million in SwSh even after buying every TM and all clothing choices.
This might be why Pay Day could be worth beefing up, since it's not really that amazing a move like it was in Gen 1.

Again a higher money rate and a full Technician power boost would at least add more noteworthy practicality to it.

Ignition

This might be why Pay Day could be worth beefing up, since it's not really that amazing a move like it was in Gen 1.

Again a higher money rate and a full Technician power boost would at least add more noteworthy practicality to it.
Make Meowth get GMax Gold Rush at level 100.

Never thought Meowth and Luvdisc would have something in common. I remember grinding the Vs Seeker with a team of Pickup Pay Day Meowth in the early game of FRLG.

DatsRight

Never thought Meowth and Luvdisc would have something in common.
I know I'm gonna look stupid here, but what's that?

I think I just have a fascination for loopholing frail Pokemon to be competitive. I LOVE how each newer generation throws a shrewd bone to Magikarp for example, where you have to search around for a particular tutor or TM.

Ignition

I think I just have a fascination for loopholing frail Pokemon to be competitive. I LOVE how each newer generation throws a shrewd bone to Magikarp for example, where you have to search around for a particular tutor or TM.
Luvdisc’s only niche was pretty much Heart Scale farming. Now that the Move Relearner is free as of SwSh (even when reverted back in BDSP, once you use 10, it becomes free). While not on the same level as Pay Day, it’s similar in the outside of battle niche becoming obtuse.

I like using Pokémon like that too. By Gen 100, Magikarp might be viable

DatsRight

Luvdisc’s only niche was pretty much Heart Scale farming. Now that the Move Relearner is free as of SwSh (even when reverted back in BDSP, once you use 10, it becomes free). While not on the same level as Pay Day, it’s similar in the outside of battle niche becoming obtuse.

I like using Pokémon like that too. By Gen 100, Magikarp might be viable
Yeah, I mean I like it being a CHALLENGE to make them that strong, that you still have to be clever with the little guys, but that's the fun rewarding part about it.

I'd argue Meowth/Persian still has Pickup and STAB/Technician boosted Fake Out combos as a good niche, even if again, other stronger Pokemon also have it. It's why I think they should focus on giving the line a small power buff or again, some other clever loophole around it.

Luvdisc meanwhile could maybe use an evolution.

Luthor

I did like the fact that Magikarp can now get Hydro Pump. I always wanted it to have a water move and it was shocking for me when i discovered it in a raid battle when my ally Magikarp suddenly used Hydro Pump. I'd have settled for Bubble. Bounce was also hilarious in gen 7 ultra games as you could let it use the flying type Z-move. I'd add Hydro Pump and Bounce to its level up moveset so they are accessible in games where those moves aren't TM's and TR's.

DatsRight

I did like the fact that Magikarp can now get Hydro Pump. I always wanted it to have a water move and it was shocking for me when i discovered it in a raid battle when my ally Magikarp suddenly used Hydro Pump. I'd have settled for Bubble. Bounce was also hilarious in gen 7 ultra games as you could let it use the flying type Z-move. I'd add Hydro Pump and Bounce to its level up moveset so they are accessible in games where those moves aren't TM's and TR's.
Magikarp learning Hydro Pump at a ridiculously high level could work.

I do kinda get why they gave it that one, since not only is it totally unexpected to get a move THAT good, but because Magikarp's special attack is pathetic, so it's high power ultimately only really balances it back into a decent move.

Water Pulse could have been good too though, simply because the effect of confusing the Pokemon afterwards, like a "Huh!?? Did that Magikarp actually HIT me??" gag. XD

Luthor

Magikarp learning Hydro Pump at a ridiculously high level could work.

I do kinda get why they gave it that one, since not only is it totally unexpected to get a move THAT good, but because Magikarp's special attack is pathetic, so it's high power ultimately only really balances it back into a decent move.

Water Pulse could have been good too though, simply because the effect of confusing the Pokemon afterwards, like a "Huh!?? Did that Magikarp actually HIT me??" gag. XD

Yeah lets be honest if you manage to level a Magikarp to a high level and resist the desire to evolve it it would be a fun reward. I'm confident Magikarp will make the Dex so its possible they might add something like water Pulse (probably at a fairly high level)

DatsRight

Yeah lets be honest if you manage to level a Magikarp to a high level and resist the desire to evolve it it would be a fun reward. I'm confident Magikarp will make the Dex so its possible they might add something like water Pulse (probably at a fairly high level)
So long as they keep Bounce and Hydro Pump via the same methods as before.

Also perhaps give Magikarp an elusive item like Pikachu's Light Ball. Maybe some sort of relic that harks back to its ancient glory days or works like its Z Move and gives Splash some sort of actual use.

Just so long as it's still tricky to make Magikarp good, you have to pull off some good tactics for it, otherwise it goes against its whole concept.

Luthor

Thinking back at the trailer one Pokemon that stands out to me is Clauncher. Part of me wonders if they might consider a regional variant for Clawitzer (I don't remember it in the trailer) . Its pure water typing is Ok but I feel giving it a secondary type could be fun . There's also an evolution I suppose as Clawitzer base stats of 500 so it could even get the Ursaluna treatment.