• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
200 new Pokémon+500 returning Pokémon sounds like a good amount to me.

New Pokémon

Sprigatito
Fuecoco
Quaxly
Lechonk
Smoliv
Koraidon
Miraidon

Pokémon confirmed to be returning

Pichu
Pikachu
Raichu
Starly
Staravia
Staraptor
Clauncher
Clawitzer
Seviper
Swablu
Altaria
Stonjourner
Petilil
Lilligant
Bagon
Shelgon
Salamence
Meowth
Persian
Wingull
Pelipper
Larvitar
Pupitar
Tyranitar
Zorua
Zoroark
Venonat
Venomoth
Psyduck
Golduck
Flabebe
Floette
Florges
Magnemite
Magneton
Magnezone
Fletchling
Fletchinder
Talonflame
Happiny
Chansey
Blissey
Rolycoly
Carkol
Coalossal
Cryogonal
Fomantis
Lurantis
Chewtle
Drednaw
Shellder
Cloyster
Gastly
Haunter
Gengar
Mareep
Flaaffy
Ampharos
Mareanie
Toxapex
Hoppip
Skiploom
Jumpluff
Combee
Vespiquen
Riolu
Lucario
Drifloon
Drifblim
Bounsweet
Steenee
Tsareena

Pokémon that should or need to return
Scyther
Scizor
Kleavor
Chikorita
Bayleef
Meganium
Cyndaquil
Quilava
Typhlosion
Totodile
Croconaw
Feraligatr
Chespin
Quilladin
Chesnaught
Fennekin
Braixen
Delphox
Froakie
Frogadier
Greninja
Snivy
Servine
Serperior
Tepig
Pignite
Emboar
Oshawott
Dewott
Samurott
Lapras
Zangoose
Corsola
Eiscue
Latias
Latios
Trapinch
Vibrava
Flygon
Tynamo
Eelektrik
Eelektross
Blitzle
Zebstrika
Skrelp
Dragalge
Chinchou
Lanturn
Corphish
Crawdaunt
Tyrunt
Tyrantrum
Magby
Magmar
Magmortar
Elekid
Electabuzz
Electivire
Joltik
Galvantula
Larvesta
Volcarona

Last edited:

Kangaflora

Will Poliwag be returning in this game?

Luthor

Will Poliwag be returning in this game?

I don't believe we have confirmation of it yet. If I had to speculate it could easily fit into a Spanish region given there are a lot of Frogs and Toads in Spain so its line makes sense. I suspect it might also make it in considering Politoed's Drizzle given there are not that many Pokemon that get the ability and while one of them is going to be present in-game already (Pelipper) it wouldn't shock me if they choose to add it.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Whether the Gen 2 starters are in the base game, DLC or coded into Scarlet and Violet is still unclear. Either way, I’ll be happy if they’re in the game.

Do the Gen 1 starters need to be in every single Pokémon game? Give that love to the Gen 2/Gen 4/Gen 5/Gen 6 starters instead.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Except the ability to battle with every pokemon...which is why the idea was brought up in the first place.
That's no reason to make a full separate game for that as such features can just be incorporated into Pokemon Home itself.

Orphalesion

If I had to speculate it could easily fit into a Spanish region given there are a lot of Frogs and Toads in Spain so its line makes sense.
Frogs (which includes Toads) are a nigh-compopolitan order of animals, found in almost every country on the globe, except Iceland and Greenland.
Yet they weren't in Galar until the expansions.

Luthor

Frogs (which includes Toads) are a nigh-compopolitan order of animals, found in almost every country on the globe, except Iceland and Greenland.

Well the Poliwag line didn't make it in the early galar dex but they did have Seismitoad in the initial dex (if I remember corectly it was even in the champions team if you picked Grookey). Which is a toad so as you say with that same order. I'm not saying its guaranteed to have frog pokemon but just its got additional plausibility.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I think there is a frog shrine in the Kyushu region where Hoenn is based off of, but you don't find frog Pokemon there.

The weird thing is that Alola had the Poliwag line, yet no native frogs are found in Hawaii. You instead find the invasive coqui.

Orphalesion

I think there is a frog shrine in the Kyushu region where Hoenn is based off of, but you don't find frog Pokemon there.

The weird thing is that Alola had the Poliwag line, yet no native frogs are found in Hawaii. You instead find the invasive coqui.
That's because as much as some people want it, the distribution of Pokemon species in Regions isn't tied or restricted to the distribution of the animals they are based on in real world countries. It never has been, not in Gen 1, not in Gen 8, and it won't in Gen 9 either.
So I don't think predicting which old Pokémon will return basing on which animals are found in Spain works, there's no reason why it should.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
That's because as much as some people want it, the distribution of Pokemon species in Regions isn't tied or restricted to the distribution of the animals they are based on in real world countries. It never has been, not in Gen 1, not in Gen 8, and it won't in Gen 9 either.
So I don't think predicting which old Pokémon will return basing on which animals are found in Spain works, there's no reason why it should.
I'd agree with that general statement. Usually, a region has Pokemon that are inspired from it (i.e. Oricorio- Hawaiian honeycreepers), but they still put a good mix of Pokemon in the games anyway.

Luthor

It's never going to be an exact fit but before sword and shield came out Masuda explained "The primary focus was the setting of the game. We have the Galar Region, and we spent a lot of time discussing which Pokemon would make sense in that region. We kind of selected from there. But we also selected types that make sure the battles are balanced and really provide this exciting kind of battle experience." While this doesn't mean that all the Pokemon will specifically were British in Galar or will be Spanish here given the focus on the setting of the game a lot will be Pokemon with at least loose connection to it or ones that make sense or are there for specific balance reasons and that's a good initial starting speculation points. Plus we have very little to speculate on given not that much has been released officially (not including leaks). All we have confirmed is a few Pokemon, the nature of the legendaries and the professors and the general area of the world the region is based.

scififan21

I hope home compatibility is available early on in the game
As long as it isn't as long as PLA/BDSP took I'll be happy generally a couple months after release I believe is the normal time it takes I believe.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I hope home compatibility is available early on in the game

As long as it isn't as long as PLA/BDSP took I'll be happy generally a couple months after release I believe is the normal time it takes I believe.
I hope they wait about 2-3 months like they did with SwSh. Give people the opportunity to play the game with only what’s available in it and enjoy it as it is. Then once most players get through their first/main game they can begin to use transfers on subsequent plays.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Croagunk and Toxicroak were always there from the start. They were exclusive to Shield but you battled one or two owned by NPCs and see them in Raid Dens being owned by NPCs.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
So many Pokemon were confirmed to return here. Those being:

Growlithe line
Deerling line
Houndour line
Snorunt line
Magikarp line
Murkrow line
Skiddo line
Cufant line
Slakoth line