• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Isn't that kind of the point? It's like an enforced rarity value. I am regretting not playing Sun/Moon enough as I don't have all of the alolan forms to have a complete pokedex. Hence I am now playing Go and looking at the global trade on the Pokemon home app every so often to try and fill in the gaps.

I don't quite follow here. What point?

Holding onto the older games and consoles does have a legitimacy to it now. We can still, if you have all of the systems available, go from Gen 3 to the present day technically in Pokemon. That's an incredible length of time for game data to still be held. It's pretty cool. (That makes my oldest Pokemon a Sceptile, at 21 years old now I think!)

That's not the way video games work. Or at least not the way they're sold. They're constantly trying to get you to buy the latest and greatest hardware and software, for that to work you have to not need to rely on past games or else that reduces the incentive to buy the next one. In the grand scheme of things they don't care if you own the older generations of games on past hardware because they aren't being sold anymore, you can only get them second hand. Game Freak mainly only cares about people buying the Switch games, so there should be little to no reason to want the older games over the Switch games.

Also that compatibility is inevitably going to be cut off at some point when Bank and Transporter are outright shut down. The first phases of that are already happening in fact with us no longer being able to download them from the eShop, at some point (probably a few years from now) they're going to have to bring the servers offline and force you to transfer everything to Home.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So they did bring the Vivillon line back? Interesting. I wonder how they're going to handle the forms? Are they going to keep them all like in XY or just limit it to one form per game? With Dexit and the 3D models, I have to wonder if that's the reason we haven't been seeing a lot of the Pokemon with multiple form changes until now (Flabebe, Deerling, Vivillon, Oricorio, etc.).

Orphalesion

So they did bring the Vivillon line back? Interesting. I wonder how they're going to handle the forms? Are they going to keep them all like in XY or just limit it to one form per game? With Dexit and the 3D models, I have to wonder if that's the reason we haven't been seeing a lot of the Pokemon with multiple form changes until now (Flabebe, Deerling, Vivillon, Oricorio, etc.).

I don't think so in the cases of Flabebe and Vivillon, since all the "forms" are just re-skins of the same 3D model, something that's fairly quick and easy to do. They probably just have to copy the model and animations and just slap a new texture on each iteration.
I think that's also the reason why we got Flabebe and Vivillon with their texture variations in the first 3D generation.

Same would be true for Minior, whenever it returns (and Deerling)

Sawsbuck and Oricorio (especially Oricorio) have forms that have different models though, and different animations in the case of Oricorio, so that's more workload.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
One Pokémon I’m pretty sure will be in the Dex is Smeargle. Spain has had many famous artists and painters with Dalí, Picasso, and Goya being the best known. I think that the Painter NPC found in Galar were hinting towards Spain being the next region as they wore shirts similar to the one Picasso wore.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Yay! Starly, Shinx, and Cubchoo are confirmed for Paldea! The only one that's missing from my top 4 is Lillipup. Also nice to see Misdreavus and Fletching as well. :)

scififan21

All my favs are in so far. Well has Zubat been shown? Golbat/Crobat is another favorite after Shix and Zorua.

Orphalesion

One Pokémon I’m pretty sure will be in the Dex is Smeargle. Spain has had many famous artists and painters with Dalí, Picasso, and Goya being the best known. I think that the Painter NPC found in Galar were hinting towards Spain being the next region as they wore shirts similar to the one Picasso wore.
Please now. Name me a European country that hasn't given birth to a baker's dozen of world-famous painters.
This is reaching.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Please now. Name me a European country that hasn't given birth to a baker's dozen of world-famous painters.
This is reaching.
Easy. The Vatican City. Every single painting there were painted by Italians. And yes people actually live there besides the Pope.

Orphalesion

Easy. The Vatican City. Every single painting there were painted by Italians. And yes people actually live there besides the Pope.
Probably San Marino too. Also remember that the Papal States, to which the Vatican City is the successor state, used to be larger.
But I'm sure you understood what I mean. Singling Spain out as a country that has given birth to exceptionally many painters is incorrect. France, England, Germany (here too you could argue that Austria, as an entity wholly separate from other German states only really exists since the 20th century and only has had a couple of highly esteemed painters since then) , the Netherlands... All produced many famous painters. So saying Smeargle will return because Spain is somehow exceptional for its painters in relation to its neighbours is wrong, in my opinion.

Plus I don't subscribe to the idea that returning Pokémon can be guesses at by looking what animals or cencepts are available in Spain or Portugal.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Plus I don't subscribe to the idea that returning Pokémon can be guesses at by looking what animals or cencepts are available in Spain or Portugal.

Actually Game Freak specifically seems to do this. They mentioned in an interview on SwSh that their main criteria for which Pokemon they pick for the region dex is "what Pokémon would best fit that sort of region".

https://nintendosoup.com/game-freak-on-how-they-choose-which-previous-pokemon-will-appear-in-pokemon-sword-shield/#:~:text=The way we go about,when deciding what we pick.

They don't specify what "best fit" means, but most likely it means that they first look at what kinds of wildlife and concepts fit the region and its culture. So yes, you might see something like Smeargle in regions based on countries that are famous for their painters. And Smeargle did appear in the Kalos Dex, and Kalos was also based on a European country, so I think there's a very good chance Paldea follows suit and we see Smeargle in the Paldea Dex. Not a guarantee because sometimes there are Pokemon that seem like obvious fits that don't make the cut, but a pretty good chance.

Orphalesion

Actually Game Freak specifically seems to do this. They mentioned in an interview on SwSh that their main criteria for which Pokemon they pick for the region dex is "what Pokémon would best fit that sort of region".

https://nintendosoup.com/game-freak-on-how-they-choose-which-previous-pokemon-will-appear-in-pokemon-sword-shield/#:~:text=The way we go about,when deciding what we pick.

They don't specify what "best fit" means, but most likely it means that they first look at what kinds of wildlife and concepts fit the region and its culture. So yes, you might see something like Smeargle in regions based on countries that are famous for their painters. And Smeargle did appear in the Kalos Dex, and Kalos was also based on a European country, so I think there's a very good chance Paldea follows suit and we see Smeargle in the Paldea Dex. Not a guarantee because sometimes there are Pokemon that seem like obvious fits that don't make the cut, but a pretty good chance.
But as you say "best fit" can mean many things.
Maybe they talk about type distributions and stuff like that.
I just find it a bit reaching when people go "Spain has Frogs" and stuff like that
Plus Smeargle wasn't in Galar :p

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
When considering how much thought GF puts in paying homage to the "original country" fauna, keep in mind last trailer showed both Phanpy and Cufant lines are in SV. In times when most pokémon don't make in the game, they made room for two elephant lines. On "Spain".

Starly, Shinx, and Cubchoo are confirmed for Paldea! The only one that's missing from my top 4 is Lillipup.
That's an interesting line up of favorites.

Luthor

When considering how much thought GF puts in paying homage to the "original country" fauna, keep in mind last trailer showed both Phanpy and Cufant lines are in SV. In times when most pokémon don't make in the game, they made room for two elephant lines. On "Spain".

Elephants did use to be fairly common in Spain in the past. One of the largest Elephant nurseries was even discovered in Spain. Given this game's heavy focus on the past this could easily be the influence. There's also historical ownership of elephants in the past in Spain and Portugal and of course some in captivity even nowe. Plus Donphan easily fits into the vehicle theme being partially inspired by a tyre and Copperajah takes some inspiration from excavating equipment which again suits the vehicle theme (especially one that does tasks). Both make sense to me for Paldea given the history and themes.

Trillion

in the prerelease screenshots- what are those arrows when pikachu comes out its pokeball? i've never seen that with any pokeball i've ever used

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
According to HDvee and the main site, Numel and Camerupt have been confirmed to return in Scarlet and Violet.

Last edited: