• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

May I ask how these are added? Does someone rip them from guides? Wait for a web site update?
How does it work?
There is a CoroCoro guidebook for SV which these pieces have been scanned from. However the book does not have art for all the new Pokémon. Edit: For clarification, the scanlator I follow has stated that most of the new art from the guidebook has been scanned by this point.

Last edited:

Yveltal91057

Nobody is safe from Yandere Nami, not even Mr. X.
So uh, you guys have any predictions on which Pokemon they might add in the potential DLC? Just asking so I can keep this thread going.
What Pokémon could be in a potential DLC?

Caterpie
Metapod
Butterfree
Weedle
Kakuna
Beedrill
Ekans
Arbok
Nidoran (M/F)
Nidorino
Nidorina
Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Kantonian Vulpix/Alolan Vulpix
Kantonian Ninetales/Alolan Ninetales
Kantonian Ponyta/Galarian Ponyta
Kantonian Rapidash/Galarian Rapidash
Tentacool
Tentacruel
Horsea
Seadra
Staryu
Starmie
Lapras
All of the fossil Pokémon
Chikorita
Bayleef
Meganium
Totodile
Croconaw
Feraligatr
Spinarak
Ariados
Chinchou
Lanturn
Kingdra
Poochyena
Mightyena
Lotad
Lombre
Ludicolo
Seedot
Nuzleaf
Shiftry
Taillow
Swellow
Mawile
Trapinch
Vibrava
Flygon
Corphish
Crawdaunt
Absol
Latias
Latios
Blitzle
Zebstrika
Joltik
Galvantula
Hoopa
Volcanion
Marshadow
Zeraora

Reinhardt

So uh, you guys have any predictions on which Pokemon they might add in the potential DLC? Just asking so I can keep this thread going.
I imagine the Kalos and Galar Starters will be available somehow, probably as gift Pokemon as a reward for completing a side quest like the Alola Starters were in The Isle of Armour. Because Meloetta, Diancie, Hoopa and Magearna are also among the list of transferable Pokemon, I'm guessing the DLC will also do something with them, perhaps as either part of the storyline or something like the Keldeo encounter in The Crown Tundra where you do a side quest and get the chance to catch them. Though that is wishful thinking on my part, because those four and Deoxys are the last Pokemon I need to complete my Pokemon Home Dex.

Pokemon Power

I imagine the Kalos and Galar Starters will be available somehow, probably as gift Pokemon as a reward for completing a side quest like the Alola Starters were in The Isle of Armour. Because Meloetta, Diancie, Hoopa and Magearna are also among the list of transferable Pokemon, I'm guessing the DLC will also do something with them, perhaps as either part of the storyline or something like the Keldeo encounter in The Crown Tundra where you do a side quest and get the chance to catch them. Though that is wishful thinking on my part, because those four and Deoxys are the last Pokemon I need to complete my Pokemon Home Dex.
I meant Pokemon that are NOT in the game's code as of now.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I'd like for all of the missing Pokemon to appear, but the big ones for me would be Zebstrika and the other two Unovan Starters. I always liked Zebstrika and it's a shame it's been left out of most games, and with the starters it doesn't feel right to not have them available in any Switch game while Samurott will be useable in SV soon (and its Hisuian form in PLA).

Luthor

My guess is that Politoed, Gigalith, Ninetales (both forms), Vanilluxe, Aurorus & Galarian Weezing (regular weezing too as a consequence) will make the dlc cut. These are non-legendary non starter terrain or weather setters not currently in the game (there are options like Kyorge or the tapus but they tend to do something a bit more special with legendary Pokemon so they may make the game's dlc but not the dex). With the paradox Pokemon getting a boost from Harsh sunlight/Electric terrain and the Paldea box legendary Pokemon setting them up Harsh sunlight/Electric terrain it makes sense to have other setters of terrains and weather to have there be more options to help set up the right conditions or hinder the paradox pokemon by removing the conditions that benefit them.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
My guess is that Politoed, Gigalith, Ninetales (both forms), Vanilluxe, Aurorus & Galarian Weezing (regular weezing too as a consequence) will make the dlc cut. These are non-legendary non starter terrain or weather setters not currently in the game (there are options like Kyorge or the tapus but they tend to do something a bit more special with legendary Pokemon so they may make the game's dlc but not the dex). With the paradox Pokemon getting a boost from Harsh sunlight/Electric terrain and the Paldea box legendary Pokemon setting them up Harsh sunlight/Electric terrain it makes sense to have other setters of terrains and weather to have there be more options to help set up the right conditions or hinder the paradox pokemon by removing the conditions that benefit them.
Having Neutralizing Gas would hinder the Paradox Pokémon too, since as long as either form of Weezing is in play, Protosynthesis and Quark Drive can't activate. They'll need to show up either before Weezing does or after Weezing is knocked out to get that stat boost (though some of them CAN fight Weezing on their own without the boost). Neutralizing Gas would also inhibit many of the new Pokémon, as there are a lot of very powerful Abilities right now that some are quite dependent on. Tatsugiri can't use Commander, Espathra can't use Opportunist or Speed Boost, Flamigo can't use Costar, the Ruinous Legends can't drop other Pokémon's stats, Gholdengo can't use Good as Gold, Bellibolt can't use Electromorphosis, etc.

There is a strategy going on right now in double battles, also, in which Indeedee sets up Psychic Terrain, she uses Helping Hand to Armarouge, and Armarouge uses Expanding Force with the assistance of a Life Orb and a Psychic Tera type. The Psychic Terrain is a huge part of this strategy (as well as it being difficult to tell if Indeedee will use Helping Hand or Follow Me); having more "(blank) Surge" Pokémon would inhibit this strategy simply by switching in, as well as make Indeedee vulnerable to priority moves (most notably, Fake Out has higher priority than Follow Me).

Luthor

Having Neutralizing Gas would hinder the Paradox Pokémon too, since as long as either form of Weezing is in play, Protosynthesis and Quark Drive can't activate. They'll need to show up either before Weezing does or after Weezing is knocked out to get that stat boost (though some of them CAN fight Weezing on their own without the boost). Neutralizing Gas would also inhibit many of the new Pokémon, as there are a lot of very powerful Abilities right now that some are quite dependent on. Tatsugiri can't use Commander, Espathra can't use Opportunist or Speed Boost, Flamigo can't use Costar, the Ruinous Legends can't drop other Pokémon's stats, Gholdengo can't use Good as Gold, Bellibolt can't use Electromorphosis, etc.

There is a strategy going on right now in double battles, also, in which Indeedee sets up Psychic Terrain, she uses Helping Hand to Armarouge, and Armarouge uses Expanding Force with the assistance of a Life Orb and a Psychic Tera type. The Psychic Terrain is a huge part of this strategy (as well as it being difficult to tell if Indeedee will use Helping Hand or Follow Me); having more "(blank) Surge" Pokémon would inhibit this strategy simply by switching in, as well as make Indeedee vulnerable to priority moves (most notably, Fake Out has higher priority than Follow Me).

You make a very good point. I forgot about weezing's other ability.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Bear in mind, of course, that Weezing would still be no match on its own against some of these Pokémon, like Espathra and likely Gholdengo, even without their Abilities; if you're playing a double battle, you'll need help from Weezing's partner to overcome them. (That being said, the Gholdengo I see online tend to use Nasty Plot on the first turn, so you have some time there.) Neutralizing Gas will also not stop Palafin's Zero to Hero or Cyclizar's Regenerator due to their Abilities activating when not in play.

Luthor

Bear in mind, of course, that Weezing would still be no match on its own against some of these Pokémon, like Espathra and likely Gholdengo, even without their Abilities; if you're playing a double battle, you'll need help from Weezing's partner to overcome them. (That being said, the Gholdengo I see online tend to use Nasty Plot on the first turn, so you have some time there.) Neutralizing Gas will also not stop Palafin's Zero to Hero or Cyclizar's Regenerator due to their Abilities activating when not in play.

Yeah of course Weezing's good but its got its limitations and that's probably also true of most of the Terrain/Weather setters I mentioned. I like to see a bit of disruption to a few established strategies is generally the sort of thing I think is useful for DLC added returning Pokemon as even if it ultimately doesn't work longterm it gives people the chance to try new things for a bit and that keeps things fun.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Yeah of course Weezing's good but its got its limitations and that's probably also true of most of the Terrain/Weather setters I mentioned. I like to see a bit of disruption to a few established strategies is generally the sort of thing I think is useful for DLC added returning Pokemon as even if it ultimately doesn't work longterm it gives people the chance to try new things for a bit and that keeps things fun.
Very true--I think even before that, Palafin will be the first one curbed due to the Galar starters all confirmed in the game's code and thus become available via HOME. That is, Rillaboom can use Grassy Glide with Grassy Surge, forcing the Palafin user to switch out manually instead of Flip Turn, which is a less optimal choice (and the mere threat of Rillaboom hanging around may be enough for people to not use Palafin).