• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Knowing GF, Gen 1 Pokemon will surely get another special treatment. So I'm really curious which "untouched" Gen 1 Pokemon will be the beneficiaries this time. By "untouched", I mean those that don't have cross-gen evos, regional variants, Mega evos, and Dynamax forms. So far we have:

Nidoran line
Paras line
Venonat line
Psyduck line
Mankey line
Bellsprout line
Tentacool line
Doduo line
Seel line
Shellder line
Drowzee line
Goldeen line
Staryu line
Tauros
Omanyte line
Kabuto line
Dratini line

In Legends, they've began to branch out to Gen 2 Pokemon. So I'm really looking forward for Girafarig, Dunsparce, Shuckle, Delibird, Skarmory, Smeargle, and Miltank. I know some of these are gimmick Pokemon, but GF can be unpredictable.
I would like to finally see Venonat and Venomoth in a regional Dex outside of Kanto and Johto for once. Tentacool will be likely given it’s been in every regional Dex excluding Unova and Galar (excluding DLC). Staryu and Shellder have been in a few lately, maybe have them as version counterparts like in FR/LG and X/Y.

ShadowForce720

It's Japan's general whaling laws and how it got conflicting issues with other countries.
Wiki's page
Actually looking at it Japan in recent years has actually lifted its ban on whaling and if I recall it even made it so that people that protest whaling there can be arrested.

Japan also still hunts Dolphins although it’s not as big as the whaling industry industry there.

So no, a Pokémon being based off a Dolphin doesn’t break any laws.

ebevan91

I'm hoping we get all of the Kalos Pokemon and most of the Galar Pokemon in this game since those regions will be fairly close to the new region. And also the rest of the missing Alola Pokemon. Tired of seeing Sinnoh Pokemon and to a lesser extent Kanto Pokemon.

raichu27

• Fire/Grass (based on a jalapeno, chili pepper, or something)
  • Normal/Poison (based on a skunk or something)
  • Electric/Fighting (I was thinking it would be something suited for a region variant of Mankey, since it's one of the few Fighting Pokemon that can learn Thunderbolt/Thunder)
  • Fire/Fairy (Always wanted to see a Pokemon that's weak to both Water and Poison)
  • Poison/Steel (based on nuclear or something)
  • Bug/Dragon (based on a dragonfly)
  • An actual Fire/Electric (make a interesting combination with both being substances and both being weak against Ground)
  • Fairy/Ground (make a great offensive type combination)
  • Bug/Dark

I also didn't like the lack of new type combinations in Generation 6, excluding with Fairy. How about you guys?

Luthor

I would like to finally see Venonat and Venomoth in a regional Dex outside of Kanto and Johto for once. Tentacool will be likely given it’s been in every regional Dex excluding Unova and Galar (excluding DLC). Staryu and Shellder have been in a few lately, maybe have them as version counterparts like in FR/LG and X/Y.

There's a lot of moths is Spain so its possible they might give Venomoth a regional form and/or an evolution. No Guarantees but so far we don't have a bug regional variant so that would be cool and if it got an evolution it really would appreciate those additional stats and could be awesome.

ShadowForce720

There's a lot of moths is Spain so its possible they might give Venomoth a regional form and/or an evolution. No Guarantees but so far we don't have a bug regional variant so that would be cool and if it got an evolution it really would appreciate those additional stats and could be awesome.
Also I think there is a old interview with Masuda that was done while they were visiting and doing research in Spain in they mentioned the idea of creating a Pokémon based off of a Rooster.

So we might actually get a new Rooster based Pokémon for this generation.

Bus

Also I think there is a old interview with Masuda that was done while they were visiting and doing research in Spain in they mentioned the idea of creating a Pokémon based off of a Rooster.

Sounds like a good candidate for the regional bird then. It may not be a traditional bird pokemon like Sparrows, Pigeons, or Starlings, but the toucan was the basis for Alolas, so I wouldn't be too surprised if the rooster becomes the basis for this region's early route bird pokemon.

Luthor

Yeah. With the famous folk tale the Rooster of Barcelos there's a lot they could pull from design wise.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Although we have seen regular Meowth in the game, it is still possible that we could be looking at a Cubone-Alolan Marowak situation or Persian getting a third evolution.

ShadowForce720

Although we have seen regular Meowth in the game, it is still possible that we could be looking at a Cubone-Alolan Marowak situation or Persian getting a third evolution.
It’s possible, although I’m not sure how likely it is considering that Meowth already has two different regional variants one of which has a alternative regional evolution and on top of that Kantonian Meowth has a Gigantamax form.

Luthor

Its definitely possible. My guess is it won't for now based on what little we have (which isn't much) but that could change when we get more info. As people did fairly point out Kantonian Meowth was seen in Alola despite the fact that there was a new form of Meowth there.

There is something interesting about Meowth's inclusion its alternate evolution from Galar. We know at least it will be possible to insome way use a Hisuian Zoroark but I'm curious about other regional Pokemon. I'm curious If Perrserker will be added to the dex and there will be some way to get a Galarian Meowth (similar to how you get Unovan Yamask which can evolve to Cofagrigus) or if Perrserker will be left off the dex or be one of those Pokemon that is in the game but doens't get a dex (which sword and shield did have a few)

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
It’s possible, although I’m not sure how likely it is considering that Meowth already has two different regional variants one of which has a alternative regional evolution and on top of that Kantonian Meowth has a Gigantamax form.
Honestly if by mistake or intentional, Meowth seems to be the mascot for gimmicks and regional variants. So even if it has a lot of forms, I can see it getting much more.

Muffin Man

Sounds like a good candidate for the regional bird then. It may not be a traditional bird pokemon like Sparrows, Pigeons, or Starlings, but the toucan was the basis for Alolas, so I wouldn't be too surprised if the rooster becomes the basis for this region's early route bird pokemon.
If roosters are associated with Spain then knowing Gamefreak they'll probably wait until they do a region based on Australia or whatever before making one.

Pokemon Power

Yeah, I did the research and found that not counting Mew, the Venonat family are the only Pokemon that are in both the Kanto and Johto dexes that have yet to appear in any other regional dex. I also checked the others and found that from generations two through seven, in addition to all mythicals, and counting the Sinnoh and Hisui dexes as one, the Pokemon that are still locked into their regional dexes of origin are the Chikorita and Totodile families, the legendary beasts, the tower duo, the Hoenn starter families, the Shroomish family, the Cacnea family, the eon duo, the weather trio, the Sinnoh starter families, the Kricketot family, the Glameow family, the lake spirits, the reality trio, Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, the Snivy and Tepig families, the Blitzle family, the Sewaddle family, the Deerling family, the Tynamo family, the tao trio, the Kalos starter families, the Scatterbug family, the Skiddo family, Xerneas and Yveltal, the Litten and Popplio families, the Pikipek family, the Yungoos family, the Crabrawler family, Oricorio, Minior, Komala, Bruxish, the island guardians, the Cosmog family and Necrozma, and all the Ultra Beasts. Willing to bet some of them will be in the new Pokedex for this new region.
Honestly if by mistake or intentional, Meowth seems to be the mascot for gimmicks and regional variants. So even if it has a lot of forms, I can see it getting much more.
And that means Team Rocket's Meowth will be very jealous, since he was born in regular form.

Noy

Hmm, we haven't gotten new eevee-lutions in the last couple gens. so I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped doing that. but at the same time wouldn't be surprised if they added one this or next gen. Either way, if they do, I'm sure we can all agree, that obliviously the community would lose it; for better or worse (definitely worse.)

That aside, I hope they add a mon that "valiantly" defends the lands from those scary giants (Windmills); and, that we get to see them charge at them in the wild.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
What could the Pokédex for Scarlet and Violet potentially look like?

Sprigatito
Fuecoco
Quaxly
Meowth
Persian
Blitzle
Zebstrika
Seviper
Zangoose
Clauncher
Clawitzer
Skrelp
Dragalge
Furfrou
Pawniard
Bisharp
Tauros
Ralts
Kirlia
Gardevoir
Gallade
Stonjourner

Pokémon that shouldn’t return in Scarlet and Violet

Bulbasaur
Ivysaur
Venusaur
Charmander
Charmeleon
Charizard
Squirtle
Wartortle
Blastoise

Last edited:

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
My predictions for the Scarlet/Violet Pokédex

At least 95 new Pokémon to finally round it up to 1000 in total.

New Pokémon (Besides the starters) :
- Water/Fairy or Water/Psychic type Dolphin.
I know we had a few regions in which we thought it would have been a perfect oppertunity to introduce a Pokémon based on dolphins (Like Hoenn, Kalos and even Alola), but if this region is truly based on Spain/The Iberian Peninsula,
it would be a really missed oppertunity to not include a decent dolphin based Pokémon.
- A regional bird based on the Rooster of Barcelos as hinted by Masuda
- A monkey-like Pokémon based on the Barbary Macaque found on Gibraltar (Could work as the regional small mammal)
- A bird Pokémon based on the Monk Parakeet/Quaker parrot that, like Yungoos in Alola, was brought from another unknown region.
- Since the Iberian Peninsula has been a treasure trove of dinosaur fossils, some new dinosaur-based fossil Pokémon could still be a possibility, though not nessecerily species found on the Iberian Peninsula, like how we had a T. rex and Amargasaurus based Pokémon in a region based on France. Among those dinosaurs, I'm still holding hope for a Parasaurolophus based Pokémon which in my opinion is long over due.

Old Pokémon:
- Zangoose (Since Seviper has been confirmed)
- Skrelp/Dragalge (Since it's counterpart Clauncher has been confirmed)
- Duralodon (As a counterpart to Tyrannitar)
- Bruxish (Due to the warm climate of the new region)
- Yungoos/Gumshoos (Mongooses are found on the Iberian Peninsula and could be the native region from where they are taken from to bring over to Alola)
- Corsola
- Teddiursa/Ursaring/Ursaluna (Due to the Iberian Brown Bear)
- Kalos starters (Due to the supposed vicinity of Kalos to the new region)
- Unova starters (Due to the posibility to have Hisuian Samurott in the game)
- Sinnoh starters
- Alola starters (Due to the possibility to have Hisuian Decidueye in the game)
- Johto starters (Due to the possibility to have Hisuian Typhlosion in the game)
- Hawlucha

Regional forms/evolutions:
- Alternate regional evolution of Skiddo based on the Pyrenian Ibex (Grass/Ghost type)
- Regional form for Tentacool/Tentacruel more based on the Portugese Man-O-War
- Regional form for Yungoos/Gumshoos + additional evolution
- Regional form for Mandibuzz based on the Bearded Vulture/Lammergeier

Orphalesion

You sure? I thought him, along with the Regis, Groudon, and Rayquaza were all based on Ancient Hebrew Mythology:
Groudon - Behemoth
Kyogre - Leviathan
Regis - Golems
Rayquaza - Ziz (though it is loose enough that most people mistake him to have been based on Quetzacoatl instead)

Did we ever get confirmation on the Groudon, Kyrogre, Rayquaza = Behemoth, Leviathan and Ziz thing?
Because aside from representing earth, sea and land and being large, they have nothing in common with each other. Especially not with how Behemoth and Leviathan are described in the Bible