• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Pokemon Power

Well, to get Vivillon into the new Dex, they have to program some kind of GPS into the game so you could only get a specific form in a specific part of the globe, and that alone would be tough to implement.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
But shouldn't Vivillon also be pretty easy to implement? After all, it's just the exact same model and animation with different textures.

Then again, Vivillon is one of the few Pokemon I genuinely hate, both because I don't like content that is specific to your real-world location, and because a freaking Bug/Flying Butterfly was the only new Bug Type in Gen 6, and that was just disappointing and weak.
So I'd be alright with not seeing many more Pokemon like Vivillon.
And it’s National Dex number is something noteworthy....

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Let's not mini mod.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I mean making the only new Bug type in a whole generation be yet another Bug/FLying Butterfy IS Pure Evil.
Vivillon is probably the only Bug pokémon I actively dislike and it is probably less to do with it and more with how pissed I was that we only got one bug-line in the entire generation and it was just Butterfree redesigned and with higher BST.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Vivillon is probably the only Bug pokémon I actively dislike and it is probably less to do with it and more with how pissed I was that we only got one bug-line in the entire generation and it was just Butterfree redesigned and with higher BST.
But we got 40+ Megas to compensate for the lack of new Pokemon. :p

Seriously though, I'm not really a fan of GF introducing a lot of new forms only to be unused later on. I'm looking specifically at you, Mega Evolution and Gigantamax. At least regional variants can be easily transferred, but forms locked behind a mechanic can be... stupid.

I'd gladly take cross-gen evos instead.

TRNRLogan

Seriously though, I'm not really a fan of GF introducing a lot of new forms only to be unused later on. I'm looking specifically at you, Mega Evolution and Gigantamax. At least regional variants can be easily transferred, but forms locked behind a mechanic can be... stupid.

Plus since Megas are specifically for fully evolved pokemon it causes us to never get a proper evolution for become like Bannette.

Orphalesion

Plus since Megas are specifically for fully evolved pokemon it causes us to never get a proper evolution for become like Bannette.

I mean now that they made regional variants of a Pokemon line that has a Mega (Slowpoke line) there's some hope that, for example, a regional form of Absol can have a regional evolution.

Luthor

I think its quite plausible we might see some cross-gen evolutions this time around (not just ones connect to a specific regional variant). Given they introduced Pokemon like Kleavor, Ursaluna and Wyrdeer recently I think they might consider a few lines for that this time around. There's also a few lines I think could benefit from a pre-evolution to connect lines that it makes sense to connect such as Sawk and Throh getting a shared pre-evolution.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I saw this video by HoopsandHiphop a few days ago and, while I don’t see all these things becoming new pokémon, it does give me an idea of some old ones that could be added to the regional dex:
  • Tauros- Spain’s connections with bulls
  • Oricorio- Flamenco dancing
  • Kricketune- Guitars & music
  • Smeargle- Spain’s famous artists
  • Snorlax- Siestas
  • Skidoo & Gogoat- Stand in for the Ibex
I can see new pokémon based on tomatoes and the Caga Tió, though I’m not sure how they could do a design for the latter that’s PC to avoid controversies from the whole pooping presents aspect. I could also see this as a Grass/Fairy type since it’s made from a log

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I can see new pokémon based on tomatoes and the Caga Tió,
What’s the Caga Tió? I’m intrigued.

Also…ANYTHING but a tomato Pokémon. I detest tomatoes with every fiber of my being.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
My hopes
-95 new Pokemon to hit 1000 exactly. 18 variants.
-At least a regional dex of 450.
-Seeing Pokemon that didn't get to appear in SwSh, BDSP, and PLA like the Kalos starters.

I've long said that I want generation 9 to end with Pokemon 999. Something about that is just mentally appealing to me.

Then I went generation 10 to start with a mythical similar to how Gen 5 did, and that mythical will be regional Dex number 000, and national Dex number 1000. Letting Jen 10 start with Pokemon 1000. Which would equally be visually appealing. Add to that that means that our grass starter for Gen 10 would be regional 001, and national 1001.

Trillion

Obviously we don't know much about the games yet, but I would like to know:

1. Do you usually plan teams in advance or do you just wing it in Pokemon games?

2. Are there any Pokemon that were confirmed in the trailer that you may want to use?
1) kind of a mix of both, but i lean more towards winging it. i'll use swsh as an example

two pokemon that i wanted to use before release were vespiquen and pelipper. i ended up using vespiquen but never caught a wingull/pelipper when the time came. then i had unplanned pokemon like golett and deino. golurk ended up being the ace of my playthrough and hydreigon is a beast too

2) quaxly and seviper. never used seviper before but i think it's cool. and i've never used quaxly obviously lol

Phillies

Well, to get Vivillon into the new Dex, they have to program some kind of GPS into the game so you could only get a specific form in a specific part of the globe, and that alone would be tough to implement.
They could always assign a Vivillon pattern to every region and just make them regional variants.

I agree. I really like some of the designs and wished they could have been used for regional variants or evolutions. For Charizard they could have just done a male/female evolution split. Mewtwo X & Y could have easily been Mewthree and Mewfour.

Noy

I agree. I really like some of the designs and wished they could have been used for regional variants or evolutions. For Charizard they could have just done a male/female evolution split. Mewtwo X & Y could have easily been Mewthree and Mewfour.
That being said; what they should do, if they don't plan to use those mechanics again, is give us form changes that look the same but, lack the stat changes. Essentially, making the designs purely cosmetic. That way we can use the forms without breaking any game balance.

Luthor

I saw this video by HoopsandHiphop a few days ago and, while I don’t see all these things becoming new pokémon, it does give me an idea of some old ones that could be added to the regional dex:
  • Tauros- Spain’s connections with bulls
  • Oricorio- Flamenco dancing
  • Kricketune- Guitars & music
  • Smeargle- Spain’s famous artists
  • Snorlax- Siestas
  • Skidoo & Gogoat- Stand in for the Ibex
I can see new pokémon based on tomatoes and the Caga Tió, though I’m not sure how they could do a design for the latter that’s PC to avoid controversies from the whole pooping presents aspect. I could also see this as a Grass/Fairy type since it’s made from a log

If they do include Kricketune I'd like to see them give it a evolution. Kricketune is quite low power and would really benefit from an evolution. Its pure bug type gives it limited options as well.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
If they do include Kricketune I'd like to see them give it a evolution. Kricketune is quite low power and would really benefit from an evolution. Its pure bug type gives it limited options as well.

Mono bug ain't great and in alot of ways a new dual type be great for it.

That said interesting fact it's one of five fully evolved mono-Bug types (oddly in those five it's one of the oly two that has evolved) And it has the lowest stats of all of them. At 384bst.

ShadowForce720

Mono bug ain't great and in alot of ways a new dual type be great for it.

That said interesting fact it's one of five fully evolved mono-Bug types (oddly in those five it's one of the oly two that has evolved) And it has the lowest stats of all of them. At 384bst.
Too bad there isn’t a Sound type as Kricketot and Kricketune and a evolution for it would make good Bug/Sound type Pokémon.