• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’m wondering if we will get a peacock/peafowl Pokémon after all these years? And a proper crane Pokémon.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
It was good to see Clauncher and Flabebe in the trailer, I will probably have Clauncher as my go-to Water-type in Scarlet (assuming it's still a version exclusive and Skrelp is in Violet). It's obviously way too early for team planning right now, but I more than likely will use Clauncher and Flabebe on teams. I do hope Skiddo/Gogoat return in this region, they haven't been in any regional Pokedex since Kalos and I really want them back. There are goats in Spain, right?
Something that also stood out to me is that it looks like Meowth isn't getting a *insert new region's name here* regional variant, it's just the standard Meowth. I was worried when Galar Meowth/Perserker were revealed in the Sword and Shield leaks that it would become a trend for Meowth to get new regional variants with each new generation, and they'd get more and more cursed each time, so it's actually kind of refershing to see standard Meowth again.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

I want to see the first Dolphin Pokemon. Or one based on a Killer Whale. As for regional variants I'm hoping they do some for previous starters again like in Legends

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
It's listed in a footnote in the press release: https://press.pokemon.com/en/releas...MES-POKEMON-SCARLET-AND-POKEMON-VIOLET-#_ftn1
[1]Each game that can receive Pokémon via Pokémon HOME can receive only Pokémon that can be obtained in that particular game. To find out what Pokémon appear in Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet, please look forward to the release of those games.
Thanks for that link. That wording is pretty vague and could be interpreted to mean that version exclusives are tied to that version. We could be looking at two unique Dexes here.

Kangaflora

Thanks for that link. That wording is pretty vague and could be interpreted to mean that version exclusives are tied to that version. We could be looking at two unique Dexes here.
It would be like Sword and Shield because even though Galarian Corsola is Shield exclusive, you could still send it to Sword via Home, so the same will apply here if there are any version exclusives.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
It would be like Sword and Shield because even though Galarian Corsola is Shield exclusive, you could still send it to Sword via Home, so the same will apply here if there are any version exclusives.
I know that is what will happen. But the way they worded it implies something different.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Venonat and Venomoth definitely deserve some love and to be in this new region’s Dex. It was only in Kanto and Johto’s which really isn’t saying much as literally all of Kanto’s Pokémon are in the Johto Dex. Literally every other Kanto Pokémon has been found in another region’s Dex outside of Kanto and Johto with Mew being the only other Pokémon to have this trait. Mew I can excuse since it is a Mythical but why Venonat and Venomoth aren’t found natively anywhere else is unexplainable. Tauros can be found in Alola and Kalos. Ditto is found in every region except Hoenn and Sinnoh. Even the Legendary Birds and Mewtwo are found in at least one more region other than Kanto and Johto.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Still holding out for my Platypus Pokémon, and baby Kangahskan to become its own pre-evo.

id like to see the return to new evolutions of old Pokémon. That was always my favourite part of gen 2 and 4

Luthor

I'm definitely in agreement with the people suggesting Tauros, Miltank and Oricorio.

A few others I could find plausible are

Pyroar Line (given the Lion on the Spanish Flag)
Ursaring line (given Cantabrian brown bear or Iberian brown bear)
Dugtio/Excadrill Line (given the Spanish mole)

MrJechgo

I'm definitely in agreement with the people suggesting Tauros, Miltank and Oricorio.
There would be only... one or two styles that could return (Baile and Pom-Pom). Baile is obviously Spanish and Pom-Pom is "international", while Pa'u is Hawaiian and Sensu is Japanese.

How about adding 2 new styles (up to 6 total) instead of removing some ^^; ?

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
There would be only... one or two styles that could return (Baile and Pom-Pom). Baile is obviously Spanish and Pom-Pom is "international", while Pa'u is Hawaiian and Sensu is Japanese.

How about adding 2 new styles (up to 6 total) instead of removing some ^^; ?
That wouldn't necessarily be a problem, there's a Pokemon based on a Luchador living in the Pokemon world's equivalents of France, Hawaii and England after all. Seeing as Oricorio wasn't in the Galar Pokedex it would be nice to see it back in Gen 9.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
If the game is including the Ursaring line I wonder how they are going to handle evolving Uraring into Ursaluna. Obviously the Peat Block can be included but the full moon requirement can be a bit tricky (PLA eases the trouble with the time there not syncing with the Switch’s clock, you can also “fast forward” as well).

MrJechgo

That wouldn't necessarily be a problem, there's a Pokemon based on a Luchador living in the Pokemon world's equivalents of France, Hawaii and England after all. Seeing as Oricorio wasn't in the Galar Pokedex it would be nice to see it back in Gen 9.
Well, yeah, that would be cool ^_^
The way I see it is that Baile Oricorio could be the base form, a NPC offer the Alolan nectars at its shop, but EXTRA NEW styles are offered in various places. Reggae (Grass), Ballet (Fairy), Synchronized Swimming (Water), Street Dance (Fighting), name it ;)

Luthor

Well, yeah, that would be cool ^_^
The way I see it is that Baile Oricorio could be the base form, a NPC offer the Alolan nectars at its shop, but EXTRA NEW styles are offered in various places. Reggae (Grass), Ballet (Fairy), Synchronized Swimming (Water), Street Dance (Fighting), name it ;)

Baile as the main form seen in the region does make sense . With other nectars being sold at a shop is a logical way to do it. As for new forms there's a lot of fun you can have with giving it new forms as its a pokemon that only needs dances that are symbolic to represent a type (which means it could be practically any type)

MrJechgo

Baile as the main form seen in the region does make sense . With other nectars being sold at a shop is a logical way to do it. As for new forms there's a lot of fun you can have with giving it new forms as its a pokemon that only needs dances that are symbolic to represent a type (which means it could be practically any type)
Exactly, glad we agree ^_^ (not a huge debate though :p )

The only issue I see is... overshadowing Eevee... and Rotom... and probably other Pokémon with multiple types :S

Eevee didn't get a new form since Gen 6 (Dragon remains the only Special type to not being used), Rotom since Gen 4 (new appliances could have been used by now), and even Burmy didn't get new forms based on environments since Gen 4.

Luthor

Exactly, glad we agree ^_^ (not a huge debate though :p )

The only issue I see is... overshadowing Eevee... and Rotom... and probably other Pokémon with multiple types :S

Eevee didn't get a new form since Gen 6 (Dragon remains the only Special type to not being used), Rotom since Gen 4 (new appliances could have been used by now), and even Burmy didn't get new forms based on environments since Gen 4.

Its hard to say so far when it comes to Oricorio as so far outside of its home region its only really had Sword and Shield and Legends Arceus it could really have appeared in but it didn't make the cut for either which could mean they don't want to give it new forms or could mean they just they didn't think of an idea that suited Galar or Hisui enough to justify its inclusion. I will say gen 8 shifted my expectations giving new evolved forms to non regional forms (e.g Stantler) and new adding members to legendary lines (Regis and Forces of nature) so I can't rule anything out completely. Its more optimism than expectation for there to be new forms for Oricorio but at this stage there's so little to go on. If they choose just to include it in the region but not give it new forms I'd be completely ok with it.