• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Aielyn

My initial predictions...

1. Regional variants: Tentacool line (based on Portuguese Man'o'War), Swinub line (based on the Wild Boar... maybe switch to Ground/Grass?), Seel line (based on the Monkseal), Poochyena line (based on Iberian Wolf, possibly with a third stage), Roselia line (based on flamenco dancing - a Grass/Fire type would be awesome for this...).

2. New pokemon in existing lines: Tauros/Miltank pre-evolution, Cherubi alternate evolution (themed off grapes rather than cherries), Sunkern alternate evolution (blood orange theme), and Kecleon evolution (chameleons are native to southern iberia, among other places).

3. Pokemon returning that weren't in Sw/Sh: Oricorio, Furfrou, Skiddo line, Scatterbug line, Deerling line.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Hopefully more regional forms for the AMAZINGGGGGGGG Kalos Pokemon.
I would also like more majestic Pokemon like Hatterene and maybe a new Eevee Evolution.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
My initial predictions...

1. Regional variants: Tentacool line (based on Portuguese Man'o'War), Swinub line (based on the Wild Boar... maybe switch to Ground/Grass?), Seel line (based on the Monkseal), Poochyena line (based on Iberian Wolf, possibly with a third stage), Roselia line (based on flamenco dancing - a Grass/Fire type would be awesome for this...).

2. New pokemon in existing lines: Tauros/Miltank pre-evolution, Cherubi alternate evolution (themed off grapes rather than cherries), Sunkern alternate evolution (blood orange theme), and Kecleon evolution (chameleons are native to southern iberia, among other places).

3. Pokemon returning that weren't in Sw/Sh: Oricorio, Furfrou, Skiddo line, Scatterbug line, Deerling line.
But isn’t Tentacruel already based on the man-o-war? It already has a lot of tentacles and its beta name was Manowar.

As for new Pokémon, I am hoping for a dolphin, peacock/peafowl, a sea snake, Triton’s Trumpet (Predator of Marmeanie and Toxapex and Corsola’s protector), a proper crane, a canary, a clownfish and sea anemone duo, and flamingo.

New regional forms I’d like to see are Delibird becoming Water/Flying and based on an auk and Mudbray/Mudsdale gaining the Steel type to become armored equines as a reference to Don Quixote.

Aielyn

But isn’t Tentacruel already based on the man-o-war? It already has a lot of tentacles and its beta name was Manowar.
It might have been the original inspiration, but this is the perfect opportunity to ramp it up to 11, give it the crest-like structure, etc. Note that the Man-o-war is actually named after a kind of warship, so they could give it an extra aspect resembling a ship.

Kangaflora

Knowing GF, Gen 1 Pokemon will surely get another special treatment. So I'm really curious which "untouched" Gen 1 Pokemon will be the beneficiaries this time. By "untouched", I mean those that don't have cross-gen evos, regional variants, Mega evos, and Dynamax forms. So far we have:

Nidoran line
Oddish line
Paras line
Venonat line
Psyduck line
Mankey line
Bellsprout line
Tentacool line
Doduo line
Seel line
Shellder line
Drowzee line
Goldeen line
Staryu line
Tauros
Omanyte line
Kabuto line
Dratini line

In Legends, they've began to branch out to Gen 2 Pokemon. So I'm really looking forward for Girafarig, Dunsparce, Shuckle, Delibird, Skarmory, Smeargle, and Miltank. I know some of these are gimmick Pokemon, but GF can be unpredictable.
Oddish's evolved form Gloom (a Gen 1 Pokémon) can evolve into Gen 2 Pokémon Bellossom when exposed to a Sun Stone. Therefore, the Oddish line can be ruled out here.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Oddish's evolved form Gloom (a Gen 1 Pokémon) can evolve into Gen 2 Pokémon Bellossom when exposed to a Sun Stone. Therefore, the Oddish line can be ruled out here.

Well we can't really "rule out" anything that's already got something, after all Scyther's had a cross gen evo, a Mega Evolution for that cross gen evo, AND an alternate cross gen evo, so they could hypothetically give the Oddish line something furter. That does remove it from the list of Pokemon that never got anything though.

Nave

I've heard that Japan instored some animal protection laws about dolphins, whales and other cetaceans (after Gen 3), and battling, defeating and capturing cetaceans all go against those laws. Even before that, there were some criticism about it. For instance, in the Japanese version of Super Mario World, Yoshi could swallow the dolphins, but in the NA version, that little feature was removed.
There are plenty of Pokémon based on endangered animals and the games are about building relationships with those Pokémon. I get what you're saying, but we already have a few Pokémon based on whales, like Wailord and Kyogre. It's due time for a Dolphin Pokémon.

Cradily17

I'm glad that the Bounsweet line is confirmed. I wonder if Tsareena will get a regional form. I could also see Tauros being included in the Dex and getting a regional evolution based off a minotaur.

Luthor

One I'd like to see is Crabrawler. I want to see this outside of Alola for an odd reason. I think they could have a lot of fun with either a new evolution or a new form for Crabominable. I've always found Crabominable to have the oddest evolution explanation it evolves because it gets lost in the mountains. Part of me thinks if you evolve it in another region it might evolve differently into a new form. It would probably be implied to be an imported pokemon (as it doesn't immediately fit into Spain) but it could work. At the very least I expect it to be able to evolve by Ice stone given most location based evolutions are now also stone based

Last edited:

MrJechgo

There are plenty of Pokémon based on endangered animals and the games are about building relationships with those Pokémon. I get what you're saying, but we already have a few Pokémon based on whales, like Wailord and Kyogre. It's due time for a Dolphin Pokémon.
Those were in Gen 3, and we're gonna be in Gen NINE O_O

Dolphins, orcas, humpback whales, narwhals, belugas, rorquals, porpoises... none of these have been Pokémon-ified (trademark pending).

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer

Dolphins, orcas, humpback whales, narwhals, belugas, rorquals, porpoises... none of these have been Pokémon-ified (trademark pending).
Technically Kyogre (Sapphire's box legend) is an orca.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

That doesn’t really matter because you can still catch and battle and defeat Wailmer, and Kyogre in some of the recent main series games.

Plus Kyogre is based off of an orca. You can’t on one hand say a new Pokémon based on those animals battling, being defeated and captured goes against or breaks that law but then on the other hand claim that it’s okay for Kyogre to still be catchable and be defeated and use in battle is okay and doesn’t go against or break that law.

Also speaking of protection laws what is the name of this law that your referring to because I can’t find it?

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Which would put it at three away from 1000. The last three could probably be Mythicals? I do think that number 1000 should be something really special, worthy of the number.

Mewthree for Dex number 1000? lol

Bus

Technically Kyogre (Sapphire's box legend) is an orca.
You sure? I thought him, along with the Regis, Groudon, and Rayquaza were all based on Ancient Hebrew Mythology:
Groudon - Behemoth
Kyogre - Leviathan
Regis - Golems
Rayquaza - Ziz (though it is loose enough that most people mistake him to have been based on Quetzacoatl instead)

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
The Oddish line technically has Bellossom. I'd be happy with any of those gen 1 Pokemon getting something though.

As for the gen 2 Pokemon you mentioned there's definitely a lot of potential there. They gave Corsola and Quilfish both a regional form and evolutions and evolutions to Stantler and Ursaring so at this point even the gimmick Pokemon could get something. Personally I'd really like Dunsparce and Delibird to get something.
Oops. Forgot about Bellossom. Fixed my list.

Pokemon Power

Mewthree for Dex number 1000? lol
It could happen. They expanded on the legends of the birds, the Regis and the Forces of Nature last generation with new members and regional forms. And personally, I think it's possible we might see regional variants of the legendary beasts this generation.

Bus

I'm going to continue to hope for a few pokemon that can only be obtained through cross-breeding (like two different horse type pokemon such as Ponyta & Mudbray in order to obtain an entire new, separate species of pokemon).

ShadowForce720

You sure? I thought him, along with the Regis, Groudon, and Rayquaza were all based on Ancient Hebrew Mythology:
Groudon - Behemoth
Kyogre - Leviathan
Regis - Golems
Rayquaza - Ziz (though it is loose enough that most people mistake him to have been based on Quetzacoatl instead)
It’s not uncommon for Pokémon to be based on more then one animal, plant, or thing.

So basically Kyogre is based on both the Leviathan and a orca.