• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Luthor

Mono bug ain't great and in alot of ways a new dual type be great for it.

That said interesting fact it's one of five fully evolved mono-Bug types (oddly in those five it's one of the oly two that has evolved) And it has the lowest stats of all of them. At 384bst.

Yeah. That's why I was thinking an evolved form more than just giving it a regional variant. Its stats are not that great. I do think a dual typing would improve it but I think given those stats a new final evolved form would do a lot more

Too bad there isn’t a Sound type as Kricketot and Kricketune and a evolution for it would make good Bug/Sound type Pokémon.

I do think as a musical Pokemon it would make sense for it to be able to make better use of sound based moves. But until we get something teasing a new type I'll assume no new types. What might be a good workaround for now is to give it an evolved form with better special attack, give it a boomburst and then either make it a Bug/Normal (to add extra damage to boomburst) or keep it pure bug and then give it Bug type version of Galvanize. If they add a sound type later then it would still be able to be changed later.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

I've long said that I want generation 9 to end with Pokemon 999. Something about that is just mentally appealing to me.

Then I went generation 10 to start with a mythical similar to how Gen 5 did, and that mythical will be regional Dex number 000, and national Dex number 1000. Letting Jen 10 start with Pokemon 1000. Which would equally be visually appealing. Add to that that means that our grass starter for Gen 10 would be regional 001, and national 1001.
95/94 would be a decent number. Though if Gen 9 is like Gen 8 then additional Pokemon will be introduced through DLC and, possibly, additional games, so I'm not sure how well they can plan for "clean numbers" like that.
And only getting, lets say, 75 Pokemon in the initial versions of S/V so that we'll land at 999/1000 at the end of the generation would suck.

(though interestingly with the DLC and LoA Gen 8 lands at 95)

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
95/94 would be a decent number. Though if Gen 9 is like Gen 8 then additional Pokemon will be introduced through DLC and, possibly, additional games, so I'm not sure how well they can plan for "clean numbers" like that.
And only getting, lets say, 75 Pokemon in the initial versions of S/V so that we'll land at 999/1000 at the end of the generation would suck.

(though interestingly with the DLC and LoA Gen 8 lands at 95)

They haven't cared about clean numbers for the National Dex in years, not since Gen 2 had 251 (and really the National Dex wasn't really a thing in Gen 1 and 2 since those games just had all of the Pokemon that existed at the time). Since then we've had National Dex totals of 386, 493, 649, 721, 802(SM)/807(USUM)/809(LGPE), 890(SwSh)/898(IoA/CT)/905(LA). Pretty much since the National Dex has been a thing they've only really cared about clean numbers for the regional dexes, not the National Dex. It could be different this time around because 1000 is a major milestone and they might want to celebrate it, but they haven't really cared about what species lands on a certain National Dex number for a loooooong while, so I wouldn't count on it.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
So random question what would y'all rather see considering how prominent Bulls are in Spain.

Brand New bull line.
Regional Taurus forms.

ShadowForce720

So random question what would y'all rather see considering how prominent Bulls are in Spain.

Brand New bull line.
Regional Taurus forms.
Regional Tauros + evolution tbh. While I wouldn't be against another bull Pokemon line, I reckon Tauros deserves something at this point.
How about both. You know it would be cool if the Psuedo legendary for gen 9 was a bull that evolved into a Minotaur. It could also be first non dragon Psuedo Legendary since Metagross in gen 3. And it could start off as a cafe.

Maybe it could wind up being Fire/Steel type. Although will probably just wind up getting stuck with a another Dragon type Psuedo Legendary while the Minotaur based Pokémon winds up not being the Psuedo Legendary.

But there is still some hope considering some other things have changed.

And then Tauros could just get a evolution that involves it on stay on all fours.

Another idea is you could have Tauros and Miltank be part of a Psuedo Legendary line where they wind up getting a common prevolution and they both get evolutions making the first Psuedo Legendary to have a branched evolution. Tauros could evolve into a Minotaur while Milktank’s evolution could stay on all fours.

For instance it could break down like this:

Calfmoo(male)(Normal) ———> Tauros(Normal)———>Minotauros(Normal/Steel)

Calfmoo(female)(Normal) ———> Miltank(Normal)———>Milkbell(Normal/Fairy)

Do note the names just examples so feel free to change them if you want.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Regional Tauros + evolution tbh. While I wouldn't be against another bull Pokemon line, I reckon Tauros deserves something at this point.
How about both. You know it would be cool if the Psuedo legendary for gen 9 was a bull that evolved into a Minotaur. It could also be first non dragon Psuedo Legendary since Metagross in gen 3. And it could start off as a cafe.

Maybe it could wind up being Fire/Steel type. Although will probably just wind up getting stuck with a another Dragon type Psuedo Legendary while the Minotaur based Pokémon winds up not being the Psuedo Legendary.

But there is still some hope considering some other things have changed.

And then Tauros could just get a evolution that involves it on stay on all fours.

Another idea is you could have Tauros and Miltank be part of a Psuedo Legendary line where they wind up getting a common prevolution and they both get evolutions making the first Psuedo Legendary to have a branched evolution. Tauros could evolve into a Minotaur while Milktank’s evolution could stay on all fours.

For instance it could break down like this:

Calfmoo(male)(Normal) ———> Tauros(Normal)———>Minotauros(Normal/Steel)

Calfmoo(female)(Normal) ———> Miltank(Normal)———>Milkbell(Normal/Fairy)

Do note the names just examples so feel free to change them if you want.

I do agree Tauros is a line that feels so forgotten and left in the past. And I'd love to see it get some interesting attention for sure.

I'll also say that I am not very pro the idea of a shared baby form for Tauros and Miltank. Like I get aspects of it, but ultimately they are more different than alike so it feels really forced in my book.

Also personal opinion, instead of a "minotaurs" Evo I'd ike to see them take it in a less obvious direction. So my suggestion is:

R.Tauros--> Centauros
Ground--> Ground/Fighting

The Tauros of this region spend much time rolling in the mud and kicking up dirt. They will travel in heads and at times some will find spots and dig up what are called "Tauros holes" to lay claim to that spot. Filling in the hole makes them angry but they will dig the hole up quickly before attacking.

Centauros, The Two armed Pokemon.
With 4 powerful legs and 2 string arms this Pokemon is often seen as a powerful example of a strong Pokemon. They are extremely feirce and territorial, but also loyal and wise. It's said their kicks and punches have the power of an earthquake.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
*sad Bouffalant noises*

I know Bouffalant is a bison/buffalo, but it gives me more of a Spanish vibe than Tauros. It's the afro/curls, which also reminds me of Miguel from Tekken.

Nave

A regional Tauros evolution would be great. Would be interesting to see if they gave it an elemental type like Fire, or keep it Normal.
Would also love to see Arbok get something. But I can't think of a snake name that would sound good backwards.

Luthor

A regional Tauros evolution would be great. Would be interesting to see if they gave it an elemental type like Fire, or keep it Normal.
Would also love to see Arbok get something. But I can't think of a snake name that would sound good backwards.

There's options but it depends what sort of form it would take
the best I can do is
Gorgan, Medusa & Naga- Mythological connections to snakes,so reversed would be Nagrog, Asudem & Agan
If it became a Dragon you could literally reverse the word Dragon (serpentine dragons are common in mythology). so reversed would be Nogard
Or perhaps it will be the name of a type of snake in Spanish reversed.
but I'm sure other people can come up with better

That being said i'd even be ok with Arbok just as a regional form. I'd mainly want it to be Ghost or Dragon type (or ideally both) but Dark would also make a lot of sense. Would I prefer an evolved form? yes. But regional Arbok would still be cool.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
As far as Arbok, I had an idea where regional variants for Ekans/Arbok would become Poison/Psychic and have a hypnosis theme (Ekans uses its rattle, Arbok uses its face markings). The regional Arbok would then evolve into a new Pokemon called Thypno, a python that curls its body into the shape of a hypno wheel (yes Thypno is an anagram of python, not python backwards, but because it's a regional evolution it's kind of fitting that the name doesn't quite fit the pattern for Ekans/Arbok).

Luthor

As far as Arbok, I had an idea where regional variants for Ekans/Arbok would become Poison/Psychic and have a hypnosis theme (Ekans uses its rattle, Arbok uses its face markings). The regional Arbok would then evolve into a new Pokemon called Thypno, a python that curls its body into the shape of a hypno wheel (yes Thypno is an anagram of python, not python backwards, but because it's a regional evolution it's kind of fitting that the name doesn't quite fit the pattern for Ekans/Arbok).

That's a interesting idea. I suppose technically Ekans could also be considered an anagram of snake (just a fairly obvious one). Definitely a thematically very fun idea.

Nave

There's options but it depends what sort of form it would take
the best I can do is
Gorgan, Medusa & Naga- Mythological connections to snakes,so reversed would be Nagrog, Asudem & Agan
If it became a Dragon you could literally reverse the word Dragon (serpentine dragons are common in mythology). so reversed would be Nogard
Or perhaps it will be the name of a type of snake in Spanish reversed.
but I'm sure other people can come up with better

That being said i'd even be ok with Arbok just as a regional form. I'd mainly want it to be Ghost or Dragon type (or ideally both) but Dark would also make a lot of sense. Would I prefer an evolved form? yes. But regional Arbok would still be cool.
Nogard and Agan sound cool to me.

That's an interesting idea. Only thing is, Glare is one of the main things Arbok has going for it. Being Hypnosis-focused is going away from that.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Nogard and Agan sound cool to me.

That's an interesting idea. Only thing is, Glare is one of the main things Arbok has going for it. Being Hypnosis-focused is going away from that.
The longer you stare at Arbok’s face markings, the easier it is for the player to fall asleep and let it eat you which is probably what the designers intended so Arbok currently not being able to learn Hypnosis doesn’t mean that it can’t learn it as a future Move Tutor move, but it still actually makes sense for Arbok to learn Hypnosis.

Last edited:

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Another idea I had for a regional variant would be one for the Porygon line that is based on the paintings of either Pablo Picasso or Salvador Dali. It could be either Psychic/Electric or Fairy/Electric.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Just heard a suggestion for a new Pokemon idea that feels almost too perfect to not some day exist.

A Fairy/Fighting line based on magical girls.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Nothing says they couldn't have both or just have Kantonian Arbok be Glare focused and the regional forms be Hypnosis focused.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think we will get a new Legendary based on a peacock. It would fit into a region based on Spain.

Luthor

Just heard a suggestion for a new Pokemon idea that feels almost too perfect to not some day exist.

A Fairy/Fighting line based on magical girls.

Perhaps it could start as a normal type and then do a in-battle transformation and become the Fairy/Fighting. Probably doesn't really fit with the Spain theme so my guess is it'll be saved for another region.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Perhaps it could start as a normal type and then do a in-battle transformation and become the Fairy/Fighting. Probably doesn't really fit with the Spain theme so my guess is it'll be saved for another region.

Yeah I mean, not all Pokemon 100% for the region. That said if they wanted to it be great for a return trip to a Japan inspired region.