• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Orphalesion

Hoping yes. I'm not expecting it but with what the anime has been doing with eevee it does make me wonder if it might happen.

Yeah the stuff about Eevee having some sort of arc in the Anime is also the reason why I was starting to think of a new Eeveelution for this Gen. I mean I only have heard that there's an arc, since I don't watch the anime. But well, if it is about evolution then it might still very well end with one of those episodes in the anime where a Pokemon decides to not to evolve "and that it okay blablabla" (if the anime is still doing episodes like that)

So it might mean an new Eeveelution, or it might not.

ShadowForce720

Yeah the stuff about Eevee having some sort of arc in the Anime is also the reason why I was starting to think of a new Eeveelution for this Gen. I mean I only have heard that there's an arc, since I don't watch the anime. But well, if it is about evolution then it might still very well end with one of those episodes in the anime where a Pokemon decides to not to evolve "and that it okay blablabla" (if the anime is still doing episodes like that)

Although interestingly enough when they first talked about the different Eeveelutions in Pokémon Journeys in the episode where Eevew was caught it was mentioned that Eevee had 8 confirmed evolutions.

What interesting about this is that , saying that “Eevee has 8 confirmed evolutions” instead of “Eevee has 8 evolutions”, is that it implies that there could be more Eeveelutions that aren’t confirmed yet.

Plus one of the reasons given for why it hasn’t been able to evolve yet is that it’s unsure which path it wants to take.

So looking at all this and considering gen 9 is coming out this year the idea of the Eevee that is currently on the cast evolving into a new Eeveelution that will be introduced in Scarlet and Violet is a real possibility

Noah3475

Pokemon Trainer
I'm not saying that they are gonna happen or that I expect them to happen. I would like them to happen, is all.

But as to those patterns with how gamefreak does things in even and odd generations...haven't a lot of them been subverted since Gen 6?
I don't its as easy as to predict things based on even and odd generations anymore (if it ever was, and wasn't just a coincidence, in some cases
I was not trying to imply that you said or meant to say anything in particular, my apologies for that.
I would also like to see more eeveelutions, I think it is an interesting and fun concept. I think you're right in that Game Freak has become more willing to forgo established trends for its Pokemon games. I remember being extremely disappointed when I found out there is no Galar Elite Four.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Eh, mostly, but not entirely. The biggest remaining pattern regarding odd and even gens is how they handle cross gen evos. Gen 7 did not introduce any cross gen evos, which is something that has been very prevalent in even numbered gens (Gens 2, 4, and 8 particularly) and not as prevalent in odd numbered gens (the only cross gen evolutions introduced in odd numbered evolutions were Azurill and Wynaut in Gen 3). I do expect Gen 9 to finally break that pattern and introduce a reasonable amount of cross gen evos (or at least compared to Gen 8) because they seem to have finally settled on how they want to handle cross gen evos now with regional variant evolutions, but until that's confirmed cross gen evos are still one lingering characteristic of odd vs. even numbered gens.
As far as new evolutions go, I'd be satisfied with six new evolutions for regional variants (assuming regional variants are still a thing in Gen 9), the reason I say six is because that seems to be the standard number for regional evolutions, Galar had Obstagoon, Perserker, Cursola, Sirfetch'd, Mr. Rime and Runerigus, while Hisui had Wyrdeer, Kleavor, Basculegion, Ursaluna, Sneasler and Overqwil. Another set of six in Scarlet and Violet would be fine.

Orphalesion

I was not trying to imply that you said or meant to say anything in particular, my apologies for that.
I would also like to see more eeveelutions, I think it is an interesting and fun concept. I think you're right in that Game Freak has become more willing to forgo established trends for its Pokemon games. I remember being extremely disappointed when I found out there is no Galar Elite Four.

No, no you didn't imply anything. I was just clarifying in general that I'm not expecting it, for the thread. Sorry, for being unclear :)

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I don't follow the anime, but isn't the lack ability to evolve the mark of the "starter" Eevee in Let's go just like the "starter" Pikachu can't evolve (in both Yellow and Let's Go)? Same go for the Gigantamax Eevee you get on SwSh from Let's go.

With that in mind, I wouldn't consider a non-evolving Eevee being present at the anime a hint of anything except it is supposed to be read as a "starter" as well.

But regardless, the bug eeveelution is my never dying hope for each game and this time won't be different.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I don't follow the anime, but isn't the lack ability to evolve the mark of the "starter" Eevee in Let's go just like the "starter" Pikachu can't evolve (in both Yellow and Let's Go)? Same go for the Gigantamax Eevee you get on SwSh from Let's go.

With that in mind, I wouldn't consider a non-evolving Eevee being present at the anime a hint of anything except it is supposed to be read as a "starter" as well.

But regardless, the bug eeveelution is my never dying hope for each game and this time won't be different.

Also gen8 introduced GMax Eevee, which like GMax Pikachu and GMax Meowth can't evolve.

Personally I don't want a new Eeveelution. The line already takes up so many Dex spots. I don't want one line to take up nearly 20, and if we keep going that will happen.

If we were to get one my vote goes to either Dragon (Draceon) or Normal (Eeveeon).

Instead I'd rather see a new Pokemon succeed Eevee, and to start give it its own 3 way split evo.

Luthor

Agreed. It could be the choosing not to evolve and there's also the possibility that it will end up being a gigantamax eevee and thus can't evolve. That being said we have very little to go-on at this point. I think its reasonable speculation at this point given the anime has revealed pokemon prior to a games release (not confirmation but reasonable to speculate until we get proof either way). I'm still not expecting a new eeveelution but that for me is more because there so few cross-gen evos that have been released recently that aren't tied to a regional form. There was of course Wyrdeer, Kleavor and Ursaluna but before them there was quite a large gap which only had Sylveon. I'll keep it as a hope rather than expectation for now as I would like to see more eeveelutions.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Also gen8 introduced GMax Eevee, which like GMax Pikachu and GMax Meowth can't evolve.

Personally I don't want a new Eeveelution. The line already takes up so many Dex spots. I don't want one line to take up nearly 20, and if we keep going that will happen.

If we were to get one my vote goes to either Dragon (Draceon) or Normal (Eeveeon).

Instead I'd rather see a new Pokemon succeed Eevee, and to start give it its own 3 way split evo.
It would be interesting to have an Eevee-like pokémon covering the "once physical" types while Eevee covered the special ones, but it would be a huge risk trying to make something be as popular as Eevee (if the new-Eevee turned out to be a failure, once it was introduced there would be no turning back. GF would have burned that bridge and lost the chance to make 9 popular-by-default eeveelutions that could sell like hot cakes).

I really doubt GF/TPCi will waste the chance of giving Eevee an evolution from each type when every eeveelution is a success on arrival and is the easiest money maker they could have. But for the same reason I can see they wanting to introduce those evolutions slowly to make sure each new one will be explored as much as possible before the next one debuts.

One option to cover all the types without making 18 different evolutions, though, would be introduce the 9th with Dragon and then start making regional variants of the 9 existing ones with the remaining types.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

It would be interesting to have an Eevee-like pokémon covering the "once physical" types while Eevee covered the special ones, but it would be a huge risk trying to make something be as popular as Eevee (if the new-Eevee turned out to be a failure, once it was introduced there would be no turning back. GF would have burned that bridge and lost the chance to make 9 popular-by-default eeveelutions that could sell like hot cakes).

I really doubt GF/TPCi will waste the chance of giving Eevee an evolution from each type when every eeveelution is a success on arrival and is the easiest money maker they could have. But for the same reason I can see they wanting to introduce those evolutions slowly to make sure each new one will be explored as much as possible before the next one debuts.

One option to cover all the types without making 18 different evolutions, though, would be introduce the 9th with Dragon and then start making regional variants of the 9 existing ones with the remaining types.
Honestly giving the Eeveelutions regional variants to cover the remaining types would be like giving the Regis regional variants as that both getting regional variants are pointless.

Because why limit and restrictions the design of a new Eeveelution by making it a regional variant of an existing Eeveelutions when they can make a brand new design one all together.

Because let’s say us have a regional variant of Leafeon that’s a bug type will at the end of day the design will still have to look like a Leafeon. Where as if they make a brand new design that isn’t a regional variant they can represent the type better.

So honestly I don’t think Eevee/Eeveelutions and the Regis should get regional variants. Castform, Rotom, and Wormadam are also probably the same way.

Last edited:

keithpetrosky

My hopes and ideas:

Grass/fire pokemon- What about a grass Pokémon that lives in hot climates with drought and evolves either into a lush grass form in times of rain, or fire/grass type in times of drought?

Porygon needs a perfect final evolution, since it’s evolutions have been considered unstable. A humanoid robot form would be cool

Bug/dragon Pokémon- For bug/dragon what could work is give Yanma a pre-evolution Bug/Water as dragonflies start out as nymphs in water. But also give Yanma an alternate evolution to yanmega, or alternate form of yanmega that is bug/dragon

Steel/dragon Pokémon- I was REALLY hoping for some Charizard regional that had armor or steel skin like medieval times, but if not Charizard maybe Dragonite or a completely new species.

Lastly, a Betta fish Pokémon fighting/water. Or even have females only be fairy/water or fairy/fighting and Males fighting/water.

Still hoping for a Normal Eevee evolution. But make it evolve into an ugly, hairless fox looking thing similar to a sphinx cat. Ugleon would be a cool name :D

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Ya, I'd just like to see these get used:

Normal/Ghost that is an Opossum (with like a Morpeko or Mimmikyu ability gimmick)

Normal/Bug

Electric/Fighting

Fighting/Ground

Bug/Dragon

Fighting/Fairy

That'd be cool

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Normal/Ghost that is an Opossum (with like a Morpeko or Mimmikyu ability gimmick)

I've been saying something akin to this for years.

Appossume--> Zompossum
Normal-->Normal/Ghost

Scrappy, Cursed Body
HA: Mummy

Appossume, The Playing Dead Pokemon
These Pokemon spend much of their lives pretending to be dead. While it does serve as a defensive mechanism, many researchers feel that that still doesn't explain why they play dead as they do. It's postulated that the species has some kind of fascination with the afterlife.

Zompossum, The Undead Pokemon.
It's said because Appossume played dead so much it got stuck like that and then evolved into this form. While not truly dead their connection to the world beyond has strengthened so much that they are able to draw energy from it, like many Ghost types.

Luthor

Honestly giving the Eeveelutions regional variants to cover the remaining types would be like giving the Regis regional variants as that both getting regional variants are pointless.

Because why limit and restrictions the design of a new Eeveelution by making it a regional variant of an existing Eeveelutions when they can make a brand new design one all together.

Because let’s say us have a regional variant of Leafeon that’s a bug type will at the end of day the design will still have to look like a Leafeon. Where as if they make a brand new design that isn’t a regional variant they can represent the type better.

So honestly I don’t think Eevee/Eeveelutions and the Regis should get regional variants. Castform, Rotom, and Wormadam are also probably the same way.

Honestly I'd agree when it comes to the Eeveelutions, Regis, Castforms and Wormadam. They are already have good mechanisms to be an gain new types outside of regional forms. Though with Castform I'd be ok with it getting an evolution as think they could expand on its design while keeping to a similar concept

My hopes and ideas:

Grass/fire pokemon- What about a grass Pokémon that lives in hot climates with drought and evolves either into a lush grass form in times of rain, or fire/grass type in times of drought?

Porygon needs a perfect final evolution, since it’s evolutions have been considered unstable. A humanoid robot form would be cool

Bug/dragon Pokémon- For bug/dragon what could work is give Yanma a pre-evolution Bug/Water as dragonflies start out as nymphs in water. But also give Yanma an alternate evolution to yanmega, or alternate form of yanmega that is bug/dragon

Steel/dragon Pokémon- I was REALLY hoping for some Charizard regional that had armor or steel skin like medieval times, but if not Charizard maybe Dragonite or a completely new species.

Lastly, a Betta fish Pokémon fighting/water. Or even have females only be fairy/water or fairy/fighting and Males fighting/water.

Still hoping for a Normal Eevee evolution. But make it evolve into an ugly, hairless fox looking thing similar to a sphinx cat. Ugleon would be a cool name :D

All good ideas. I especially like the Yanma pre-evo. It would be a good excuse to put Yanma line more prominently in a region. In its first region Yanma isn't easy to find but if it had a weaker pre-evolution it could easily be used for more a journey.

What about a Electric/Dragon or Dragon/Electric Altaria that’s based off of Thunder Clouds? It’s blue “skin” could be yellow instead while the cloud covering it winds up being black instead of white.

I really like the idea of doing something with Altaria and Dragon/Electric would be great. The only issue with yellow replacing the blue is that is quite close to Altaria's shiny form. I also think a more obviously Draconic form could really work.

Aielyn

When it comes to eeveelutions and regional forms... what if there was a Normal/Flying regional Eevee? It would replace Normal with the new evolution type on evolving.

I really like the idea of doing something with Altaria and Dragon/Electric would be great. The only issue with yellow replacing the blue is that is quite close to Altaria's shiny form. I also think a more obviously Draconic form could really work.
I think that's the whole idea. Look at shiny Grimer and Alolan Grimer. Or shiny Ninetales and Alolan Ninetales.

ShadowForce720

When it comes to eeveelutions and regional forms... what if there was a Normal/Flying regional Eevee? It would replace Normal with the new evolution type on evolving.

I think that's the whole idea. Look at shiny Grimer and Alolan Grimer. Or shiny Ninetales and Alolan Ninetales.
That whole thing would feel kind of pointless as the whole point of Eevee is that it’s dna is unstable so it can evolve into multiple Pokémon.

So there really is no point it giving Eevee a regional variant when they can just make a new evolution of it where they can create a brand new design instead of forcing the design to still look like Eevee.

Trillion

another "trend" for odd numbered generations is mushroom pokemon: paras, shroomish, foongus, and morelull

all pikaclones have had secondary typings since emolga too, so i'm interested in what the gen 9 one will be