• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I hope that all Pokémon are playable in SV that GF has updated all of them to HD for Home. I don’t care if we get a true National Dex. I just want to be able to use some of my boxed mons in this game, even if it is limited to the postgame or competitions.
I'm going to stop you right there and slightly rain on your parade.

On the Japanese site, next to their Home Support section of info. It says only Pokemon in the game can be transfered to Scarlet and Violet from Home.

Gen 8 rules still apply.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
On the Japanese site, next to their Home Support section of info. It says only Pokemon in the game can be transfered to Scarlet and Violet from Home.
Yes. But we don't know what is going to be in the game. That's a pretty vague disclaimer.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Hope, not expect. There is a slight difference. :)
Sadly, official sources confirm that Dexit is still a thing and likely will be in all future main series games until the end of time. Sucks if your favourite is despised by the devs and doesn’t come back for several generations.

Remember that any appearances of old Pokémon in trailers for X/Y, S/M and Sw/Sh usually confirmed that they would be in the regional Dex. I suggest looking out for future trailers to get an idea of which older Pokémon will be in the new region. We still likely won’t know the full roster until either after release day or if someone datamines the game.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Sadly, official sources confirm that Dexit is still a thing and likely will be in all future main series games until the end of time. Sucks if your favourite is despised by the devs and doesn’t come back for several generations.

Remember that any appearances of old Pokémon in trailers for X/Y, S/M and Sw/Sh usually confirmed that they would be in the regional Dex. I suggest looking out for future trailers to get an idea of which older Pokémon will be in the new region. We still likely won’t know the full roster until either after release day or if someone datamines the game.
Yeah. You're probably right.

Bus

I don't think we will see any changes in the type chart <snip>
Same; I doubt it as well. The only way I could see a re-work happening would be if a new type was introduced. And if it were, I'd be happy if Rock was made to resist Rock and Ice to resist Water. I feel like those are the two most basic changes that really should have been the case from the beginning.

On a different note, the recent rumor is suggesting a roster similar to the 1st, 3rd, & 5th gens so I'm guessing that's somewhere between 130 and 150. I know I'm a little late giving my input on it, but I kind of hope its fake. I'd be happy with 100-110, but the main reason I don't like it is because the supposed final starter types would be
Fire/Ghost (presumably for a 'Ghost Pepper'), Water/Fighting (likely a Matador), and Grass/Dark (no idea; my hope is an elegant Jaguar of some kind). I really don't want it to be so similar to Legends: Arceus since we just got done with that
. I'm hoping for new things like Fire/Electric, Fire/Poison, Grass/Rock, or Grass/Psychic (I can easily be proven wrong, but I'm having a hard time seeing Donald Duck being anything other that Water/Fighting, Water/Flying, or Water/Ice).

Last edited:

The Head Honchkrow

In terms of the type chart, I don't think they'd suddenly decide to make one type super-effective against another (although if the focus of the generation is types like the mosaic plaza could suggest, then they may see this as an opportunity to rework the type chart slightly).
In any case, one thing I could see happening is buffing weak types like Bug and Ice through non-type chart means, similar to how they made Dark immune to Prankster in Sun/Moon.
About the supposed leak, I haven't read it fully, but 130-150 new pokemon seems far too unrealistic; since the shift to 3D in Gen VI, we've been getting less new Pokemon than when the series utilised sprites, which is understandable since a lot more work goes into developing for 3D than 2D.
I predict a count similar to Sw/Sh; 80-90 new Pokemon, and 15-20 regional variants.
I have a hunch that Fuecoco won't be Fire/Ghost since, as we know that Hisuian Zorua/Zoroark is confirmed, it would not be a stretch to say that all Hisuian forms will carry over to S/V, so I imagine they won't want a crossover of types between Typhlosion and w/e Fuecoco will evolve into.
Water/Fighting for Quaxly, however, wouldn't be too bad; it's a combo that's only been done 3 times prior, and two of those instances were legendaries.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't believe the rumor either, especially the part about there being a lot of new Pokemon. They seem to have intentionally slowed that down because they're having trouble coming up with more ideas for Pokemon, I don't see a reason for them to suddenly reverse course now. I also don't quite buy the starter types just being LA's swapped around, I think they'd be a bit more creative than that.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
If the rumours are real, it has been added onto that the the starters get dark/ghost/fighting due to the legendaries.

Which have evolved to be Fighting/Dragon, Electric/Dragon with their master being Dark/Dragon.

But, its just rumors

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I don't believe the rumor either, especially the part about there being a lot of new Pokemon. They seem to have intentionally slowed that down because they're having trouble coming up with more ideas for Pokemon, I don't see a reason for them to suddenly reverse course now. I also don't quite buy the starter types just being LA's swapped around, I think they'd be a bit more creative than that.
Yeah. I don't know if they would ever have a large number of new Pokemon ever again.

Orphalesion

They seem to have intentionally slowed that down because they're having trouble coming up with more ideas for Pokemon,

Nah, they have a whole design team to come up with ideas and there's still endless animals, concepts, mythological creatures, objects, puns, obscure Japanese stuff etc. etc. etc. to turn into Pokemon. Plus the recent generations were just as creative, if not more, as the earlier ones.
If anything it's because of the release schedule and 3D-modelling taking a lot more time than a sprite (even an animated one).
In my opinion that's the reason we won't see large generations again any time soon.

I also think that's why we got regional forms. Tweaking an existing model and giving it a new texture is easier than making one from scratch.

Luthor

Nah, they have a whole design team to come up with ideas and there's still endless animals, concepts, mythological creatures, objects, puns, obscure Japanese stuff etc. etc. etc. to turn into Pokemon. Plus the recent generations were just as creative, if not more, as the earlier ones.
If anything it's because of the release schedule and 3D-modelling taking a lot more time than a sprite (even an animated one).
In my opinion that's the reason we won't see large generations again any time soon.

I also think that's why we got regional forms. Tweaking an existing model and giving it a new texture is easier than making one from scratch.

I do think animation does play a part and I agree gen 8 had some of my favourite designs so far. I think there's also the practical point that whatever Pokemon now don't make the cut won't be able to be transferred and as such some people will go entire generations without seeing their favourite Pokemon which might make some resent a new Pokemon that does the same job. As such it does make sense to make sure there's a good amount of already existing Pokemon but that means they will have to allocate space for them to minimise this.

Last edited:

Pokemon Power

That's half the reason why I started making these kinds of speculation threads. To keep track of which Pokemon will be included.

KKS-Lapras

I don't believe the rumor either, especially the part about there being a lot of new Pokemon. They seem to have intentionally slowed that down because they're having trouble coming up with more ideas for Pokemon, I don't see a reason for them to suddenly reverse course now.

Personally I've never bought into this, "they're having a hard time coming up with more ideas" argument as to why the more recent generations have had less new Pokemon introduced. My suspicion has been that in Gen 6 and Gen 7, they were starting to reach a point where the size of the full National Dex in one game was the issue. Gen 8 solved that problem by doing away with the full National Dex. Gen 8 felt to me from launch like an experiment on a lot of fronts, to see how certain new features would work, like open world areas, a limited National Dex, the unique new type of Fossil Pokemon, paid expansions, a game like Legends of Arceus expanding on several of those features even further, and also toying with the idea of showing how Pokemon appeared in a different time period.

Gen 9 seems to be the culmination of many of those experiments. It also seems that Game Freak is starting to get more comfortable with the idea that similar animals can be used in important generational roles, so long as they are unique takes, like having Grookey after previously having Chimchar, and now having Sprigatito after previously having Litten. Repeating typings over multiple generations they didn't seem to have issue with, but only starting with Gen 8 have the starters started to go down this road, and I personally think it's a good thing. As long as not overdone, and so long as the different lines are unique takes, I think it adds another layer of diversity.

Noy

I want them to introduce a pokemon line that starts big then evolves to a small pokemon
interesting idea.
Maybe a Pokémon that has a terrible dual type weakness but sheds the secondary typing as it evolves?

Also, it would be neat to have a ghost type Pokémon that evolves into a dark/fairy type, after doing x amount of damage thru a HP drain move. Would be pretty inline with the themes for ghost and fairy type Pokémon.

interesting idea.
Maybe a Pokémon that has a terrible dual type weakness but sheds the secondary typing as it evolves?

Also, it would be neat to have a ghost type Pokémon that evolves into a dark/fairy type, after doing x amount of damage thru a HP drain move. Would be pretty inline with the themes for ghost and fairy type Pokémon.
Yes, I like your idea too of pokemon changing to a totally different type than their base form.

Miar

Wigglytuff Guild recruit
I'm hoping for 90 new + ~250 returning incl. new variants + 200 postgame + 100 DLC. Will come to more than 60% of all Pokémon this way.

No basis for this. I just think 300 or so is a good size for a local dex, like in Alola. And I would love the idea of an expansion for post game areas