• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I sort of want to see a new regional form for Mimikyu which is said to be what it looked like before it decided to wear a Pikachu disguise. My idea is it is similar to the generic cartoon sheet ghost in body shape and eyes with the differences being the eyes are glowing yellow, the cloth is ripped and jagged, and there is the same shadowy energy coming out from underneath and it has Levitate instead of Disguise. The lore would be that Mimikyu isn’t as rare as it once was thought to be and it has been seen for hundreds of years but no one knew it was an actual Pokémon because of how it looked.

Luthor

I sort of want to see a new regional form for Mimikyu which is said to be what it looked like before it decided to wear a Pikachu disguise. My idea is it is similar to the generic cartoon sheet ghost in body shape and eyes with the differences being the eyes are glowing yellow, the cloth is ripped and jagged, and there is the same shadowy energy coming out from underneath and it has Levitate instead of Disguise. The lore would be that Mimikyu isn’t as rare as it once was thought to be and it has been seen for hundreds of years but no one knew it was an actual Pokémon because of how it looked.

The slight issue could be that they've claimed it is fatal to look what a Mimikyu looks actually like. It's not completely impossible but I think they will want to keep that mystery.

DatsRight

I would not be opposed to a stat boost for Seviper or even a new evolved form. Seviper's a great Pokemon design-wise but its stats have always been limiting especially its defences and speed. Even a new secondary ability that helps it be more effective would be good (it currently only has a Primary ability and a hidden ability)
I think probably the biggest roadblock would be that if they boosted Seviper then they'd HAVE to boost Zangoose as well.

(Though truthfully I wouldn't be against diverging these guys a little more. Due to being more used to Team Rocket's Seviper (where it hating Zangoose is a very minor characteristic), I sometimes forget how utterly tied these two species are meant to be in the games).

Luthor

I think probably the biggest roadblock would be that if they boosted Seviper then they'd HAVE to boost Zangoose as well.

(Though truthfully I wouldn't be against diverging these guys a little more. Due to being more used to Team Rocket's Seviper (where it hating Zangoose is a very minor characteristic), I sometimes forget how utterly tied these two species are meant to be in the games).

It's a roadblock no doubt but honestly I don't think its that big of an issue. They gave an evolution to Ursaring after all which has much higher overall base stats. I wouldn't be opposed to slight boost to Zangoose. In general I think there's a lot of pure normal types I think need something.

DatsRight

It's a roadblock no doubt but honestly I don't think its that big of an issue. They gave an evolution to Ursaring after all which has much higher overall base stats. I wouldn't be opposed to slight boost to Zangoose. In general I think there's a lot of pure normal types I think need something.
True. The Meowth line's still the top of my list though (for visible reasons).

I feel all the Meowth marketing with forms and gimmicks is kind of pointless if even Persian's a bit too frail for competitive battling (damn I miss Gen 1 Persian). At least Pikachu pedaling came with a noticable stat buff for the line and a cool move and item set, giving it actual practicality in your team.

I always love those Pokemon that are weak but still can be adjusted to be competitive with the right techniques and moves. I always TRY to do this with Meowth, but it's never QUITE there, maybe if it got a bit added to its Attack stat, with the other forms getting something to correspond to their niche (eg. Special Attack for Alolan Meowth with an actual Special move like Snarl or Dark Pulse put in its natural moveset).

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
It's listed in a footnote in the press release: https://press.pokemon.com/en/releas...MES-POKEMON-SCARLET-AND-POKEMON-VIOLET-#_ftn1
[1]Each game that can receive Pokémon via Pokémon HOME can receive only Pokémon that can be obtained in that particular game. To find out what Pokémon appear in Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet, please look forward to the release of those games.

Good, I like it this way.

This makes regional dexes far more unique and worth investing in. I'm excited to see which 'mons make the cut!

Not so good in my opinion. Up until Gen 7 the games have been allowing transfers of all pokemon from past generations. This is what makes flexibility great. Shying away from it is just wrong.

I can understand if players that are starting out with Scarlet and Violet might be overwhelmed by pokemon dual types they haven't seen or if they get matched up against super trained players. But for offline playthroughs?...THAT'S WHAT I HAVE WANTED using a Froakie in Galar.

I have so many ideas where Dynamax dlc Adventures would be more interesting if i could have chosen a pokemon from my box at the expense that the level is nerfed for balancing.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The slight issue could be that they've claimed it is fatal to look what a Mimikyu looks actually like. It's not completely impossible but I think they will want to keep that mystery.
The cloth is covering up the actual body. What I meant by originally looked like is the ripped cloth is what Mimikyu used when it wanted to go outside during the day and seeing a floating cloth made humans and Pokémon terrified of it because they didn’t know what it was which would also explain why Mimikyu wants to make some friends so badly.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Not so good in my opinion. Up until Gen 7 the games have been allowing transfers of all pokemon from past generations. This is what makes flexibility great. Shying away from it is just wrong.

I can understand if players that are starting out with Scarlet and Violet might be overwhelmed by pokemon dual types they haven't seen or if they get matched up against super trained players. But for offline playthroughs?...THAT'S WHAT I HAVE WANTED using a Froakie in Galar.

I have so many ideas where Dynamax dlc Adventures would be more interesting if i could have chosen a pokemon from my box at the expense that the level is nerfed for balancing.

How I see it, if you're fixed on having one particular pokemon with you, you're not making the most of the series.

My favorite pokemon is Suicune, and I almost never get to have it on my team, even with the National Dex. It never bothered me, however, because there are literally hundreds of other pokemon I enjoy playing with.

I was simply lucky that all of my favorites made it into Sword & Shield, but I know I won't be so lucky in Scarlet & Violet. I look forward to seeing who I'll end up with this time.

Noy

speaking of which, since DLC is now a thing for the main series, I wonder which mons will be available during release, and which will get added later along with the DLC.

Luthor

I could see a Ghost-type, as @Pokemon Power said. For the final stage, we could see eyes under the bed... Like the monster under the bed. I'd like it. I'd also love Sinistea, Honedge and Klefki to come back, so I'll be able to do a "item Pokémon team".

Considering we've got a ghost type Chandelier it wouldn't seem it that odd to have a bed designed Pokemon. They could make it an interactable Pokemon where if you lie on it by accident it suddenly attacks.

True. The Meowth line's still the top of my list though (for visible reasons).

I feel all the Meowth marketing with forms and gimmicks is kind of pointless if even Persian's a bit too frail for competitive battling (damn I miss Gen 1 Persian). At least Pikachu pedaling came with a noticable stat buff for the line and a cool move and item set, giving it actual practicality in your team.

I always love those Pokemon that are weak but still can be adjusted to be competitive with the right techniques and moves. I always TRY to do this with Meowth, but it's never QUITE there, maybe if it got a bit added to its Attack stat, with the other forms getting something to correspond to their niche (eg. Special Attack for Alolan Meowth with an actual Special move like Snarl or Dark Pulse put in its natural moveset).

Yeah. Alolan Persian was slightly better thanks to its ability and Z-moves but it was still limited stat wise.

The cloth is covering up the actual body. What I meant by originally looked like is the ripped cloth is what Mimikyu used when it wanted to go outside during the day and seeing a floating cloth made humans and Pokémon terrified of it because they didn’t know what it was which would also explain why Mimikyu wants to make some friends so badly.

Ah i see what you mean. That could work.

DatsRight

Yeah. Alolan Persian was slightly better thanks to its ability and Z-moves but it was still limited stat wise.
Yeah, like I get their powers aren't meant to be amazing, hence giving them stuff like Technician and Fake Out to work off, but I feel they should at least have to have a decent attack level. Perrserker was kinda cool for this, but obviously traded in that lovely speed.

It's why I think Pikachu and Raichu's stats hit the "just enough" mark. They're still frail, they weren't stupid indulgent with boosting it, but they have the token amount of power to work off of if you're clever with them, especially if you find that precious Light Ball. I love those 'lethal joke characters' you have to toy around with.

My top suggestions would be to raise its Attack by 10-20 and then amp Pay Day shrewdly to 50-60, so it stays a weak spammable move for Pickup breed but a beefier signature move for Technician breed.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Cant wait till we can see new Pokemon for gen 9 and talk about it <3
Do u have ideas of majestic Fairy types that will fit with Spain theme?

Bus

speaking of which, since DLC is now a thing for the main series, I wonder which mons will be available during release, and which will get added later along with the DLC.
I'm guessing it's not going to be nearly enough to satisfy most people to start with (like somewhere between 300-400) and after DLC (if they are a thing; I don't want to count my torchics before they hatch) probably somewhere around 700-800. In other words, I'm not expecting a full dex yet.

I'm expecting Gen 10 (possibly on Switch 2: Electric Switcharoo) to be the be-all, end-all Pokemon game that they'll use Smash Bros Ultimate-like marketing for. Remember 'Everyone is Here!' tagline for Smash? I think they would do that for the 10th Generation of Pokemon games and really get people hyped by adding another 100+ pokemon and making sure every bit of marketing states clearly that every Pokemon is back. Even new regional variants to account for pokemon only seen in the anime, like the Crystal Onix or the Dragonite as big as a lighthouse; maybe even Bill himself will finally be a real pokemon!

In all seriousness though, I'm not expecting it to reach all pokemon yet for this gen. I know they caught a lot of flak for the initial low dex count and 'Dexit' but I think a huge portion of that was the fact that the models were clearly ripped from Sun & Moon which made the whole ordeal really inexcusable. We got a lot back via DLC, but Gen 9 is looking like the models are fresh again (I know the jury is still out on that, but they looked a LOT better in that trailer) so I think we'll have a larger starting dex than Sword/Shield but still not everything as they continue remaking all.....unless they've been doing that since Gen 8 was in production; then maybe we'll get close and DLC will finish it all off.

Luthor

Looking at Spain one animal found there (or in nearby waters) that I'd like to see them take inspiration from is Sharks. Ideally a regional Garchomp or Sharpedo. But if not them then some new shark Pokemon. My personal preference would be a Dragon/Water type that would still be a swimmer but was able to come onto land.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Yeah, like I get their powers aren't meant to be amazing, hence giving them stuff like Technician and Fake Out to work off, but I feel they should at least have to have a decent attack level. Perrserker was kinda cool for this, but obviously traded in that lovely speed.

It's why I think Pikachu and Raichu's stats hit the "just enough" mark. They're still frail, they weren't stupid indulgent with boosting it, but they have the token amount of power to work off of if you're clever with them, especially if you find that precious Light Ball. I love those 'lethal joke characters' you have to toy around with.

My top suggestions would be to raise its Attack by 10-20 and then amp Pay Day shrewdly to 50-60, so it stays a weak spammable move for Pickup breed but a beefier signature move for Technician breed.
Make Amulet Coin Meowth’s version of Light Ball :p

DatsRight

Make Amulet Coin Meowth’s version of Light Ball :p
I mean it already is a bit in terms of practicality. :p

I admit however making the Amulet Coin give Meowth more power might go against the point of it, since it's meant to allow you to make more money by spamming Pay Day.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Forgotten Pokémon that should be in the Scarlet and Violet Pokedex

Chikorita
Bayleef
Meganium
Totodile
Croconaw
Feraligatr
Blitzle
Zebstrika
Spinarak
Ariados
Zangoose
Zeraora
Marshadow
Celebi
Volcanion
Deoxys

Pokemon Power

Forgotten Pokémon that should be in the Scarlet and Violet Pokedex

Chikorita
Bayleef
Meganium
Totodile
Croconaw
Feraligatr
Blitzle
Zebstrika
Spinarak
Ariados
Zangoose
Zeraora
Marshadow
Celebi
Volcanion
Deoxys
Not sure about the mythicals, but with Seviper confirmed, I think Zangoose is a possibility.

TomRC121991

I hope in Scarlet & Violet Dex, we'll have Bagon, Honedge, Trapinch, Absol, Aron, Dunsparce, Beldum, Nincada, Rhyhorn, Lickitung

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I mean it already is a bit in terms of practicality. :p

I admit however making the Amulet Coin give Meowth more power might go against the point of it, since it's meant to allow you to make more money by spamming Pay Day.
That’s true though modern Pokémon games make earning money easy. I have over 6 million in SwSh even after buying every TM and all clothing choices.