• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

DatsRight

That’s true though modern Pokémon games make earning money easy. I have over 6 million in SwSh even after buying every TM and all clothing choices.
This might be why Pay Day could be worth beefing up, since it's not really that amazing a move like it was in Gen 1.

Again a higher money rate and a full Technician power boost would at least add more noteworthy practicality to it.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
This might be why Pay Day could be worth beefing up, since it's not really that amazing a move like it was in Gen 1.

Again a higher money rate and a full Technician power boost would at least add more noteworthy practicality to it.
Make Meowth get GMax Gold Rush at level 100.

Never thought Meowth and Luvdisc would have something in common. I remember grinding the Vs Seeker with a team of Pickup Pay Day Meowth in the early game of FRLG.

DatsRight

Never thought Meowth and Luvdisc would have something in common.
I know I'm gonna look stupid here, but what's that?

I think I just have a fascination for loopholing frail Pokemon to be competitive. I LOVE how each newer generation throws a shrewd bone to Magikarp for example, where you have to search around for a particular tutor or TM.

Ignition

I think I just have a fascination for loopholing frail Pokemon to be competitive. I LOVE how each newer generation throws a shrewd bone to Magikarp for example, where you have to search around for a particular tutor or TM.
Luvdisc’s only niche was pretty much Heart Scale farming. Now that the Move Relearner is free as of SwSh (even when reverted back in BDSP, once you use 10, it becomes free). While not on the same level as Pay Day, it’s similar in the outside of battle niche becoming obtuse.

I like using Pokémon like that too. By Gen 100, Magikarp might be viable

DatsRight

Luvdisc’s only niche was pretty much Heart Scale farming. Now that the Move Relearner is free as of SwSh (even when reverted back in BDSP, once you use 10, it becomes free). While not on the same level as Pay Day, it’s similar in the outside of battle niche becoming obtuse.

Yeah, I mean I like it being a CHALLENGE to make them that strong, that you still have to be clever with the little guys, but that's the fun rewarding part about it.

I'd argue Meowth/Persian still has Pickup and STAB/Technician boosted Fake Out combos as a good niche, even if again, other stronger Pokemon also have it. It's why I think they should focus on giving the line a small power buff or again, some other clever loophole around it.

Luvdisc meanwhile could maybe use an evolution.

Luthor

I did like the fact that Magikarp can now get Hydro Pump. I always wanted it to have a water move and it was shocking for me when i discovered it in a raid battle when my ally Magikarp suddenly used Hydro Pump. I'd have settled for Bubble. Bounce was also hilarious in gen 7 ultra games as you could let it use the flying type Z-move. I'd add Hydro Pump and Bounce to its level up moveset so they are accessible in games where those moves aren't TM's and TR's.

DatsRight

I did like the fact that Magikarp can now get Hydro Pump. I always wanted it to have a water move and it was shocking for me when i discovered it in a raid battle when my ally Magikarp suddenly used Hydro Pump. I'd have settled for Bubble. Bounce was also hilarious in gen 7 ultra games as you could let it use the flying type Z-move. I'd add Hydro Pump and Bounce to its level up moveset so they are accessible in games where those moves aren't TM's and TR's.
Magikarp learning Hydro Pump at a ridiculously high level could work.

I do kinda get why they gave it that one, since not only is it totally unexpected to get a move THAT good, but because Magikarp's special attack is pathetic, so it's high power ultimately only really balances it back into a decent move.

Water Pulse could have been good too though, simply because the effect of confusing the Pokemon afterwards, like a "Huh!?? Did that Magikarp actually HIT me??" gag. XD

Luthor

Magikarp learning Hydro Pump at a ridiculously high level could work.

I do kinda get why they gave it that one, since not only is it totally unexpected to get a move THAT good, but because Magikarp's special attack is pathetic, so it's high power ultimately only really balances it back into a decent move.

Water Pulse could have been good too though, simply because the effect of confusing the Pokemon afterwards, like a "Huh!?? Did that Magikarp actually HIT me??" gag. XD

Yeah lets be honest if you manage to level a Magikarp to a high level and resist the desire to evolve it it would be a fun reward. I'm confident Magikarp will make the Dex so its possible they might add something like water Pulse (probably at a fairly high level)

DatsRight

Yeah lets be honest if you manage to level a Magikarp to a high level and resist the desire to evolve it it would be a fun reward. I'm confident Magikarp will make the Dex so its possible they might add something like water Pulse (probably at a fairly high level)
So long as they keep Bounce and Hydro Pump via the same methods as before.

Also perhaps give Magikarp an elusive item like Pikachu's Light Ball. Maybe some sort of relic that harks back to its ancient glory days or works like its Z Move and gives Splash some sort of actual use.

Just so long as it's still tricky to make Magikarp good, you have to pull off some good tactics for it, otherwise it goes against its whole concept.

Luthor

Thinking back at the trailer one Pokemon that stands out to me is Clauncher. Part of me wonders if they might consider a regional variant for Clawitzer (I don't remember it in the trailer) . Its pure water typing is Ok but I feel giving it a secondary type could be fun . There's also an evolution I suppose as Clawitzer base stats of 500 so it could even get the Ursaluna treatment.

Trillion

i did NOT know this. i transferred my Y - Sword, and Legends pokemon to bdsp the other day and their default movesets in that game are horrendous

i have a lot of pokemon and did not want to go through the slog of grinding heart scales just to make them usable when they're in bdsp. but 10 is very manageable. glad i saw your post

Ignition

i did NOT know this. i transferred my Y - Sword, and Legends pokemon to bdsp the other day and their default movesets in that game are horrendous

i have a lot of pokemon and did not want to go through the slog of grinding heart scales just to make them usable when they're in bdsp. but 10 is very manageable. glad i saw your post
Glad I can help. I’m doing something with my first team ever transferring all the way from Diamond to Brilliant Diamond and it definitely was a relief not having to grind after you use 10 Heart Scales.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
They should really give Luvdisc an evolution now that it's niche is gone. Though I'm half-convinced Alomola started out as a Luvdisk evolution but was changed when they decided not to include old Pokemon during the story section of B/W.

And everything about that was a mistake really. Honestly, can they just retcon that? And throw in Pachirisu and Emolga while they're at it? Emolga is EXACTLY what I imagined a Pachirisu evo to be and it's a huge waste that that design and concept is for a regular standalone species instead of a Pachirisu evo.

DatsRight

And everything about that was a mistake really. Honestly, can they just retcon that? And throw in Pachirisu and Emolga while they're at it? Emolga is EXACTLY what I imagined a Pachirisu evo to be and it's a huge waste that that design and concept is for a regular standalone species instead of a Pachirisu evo.
Pachirisu and Emolga are the exact same height and proportions though, hardly a stage up. Raichu's a better reference for evolving one of them, it keeps some of Pikachu's cuter qualities but does look beefier and more menacing. Basically Pikachu's edgy older brother. :p

I do admit I'd love them to go back to Gen 2 and 4 and Legends' approach of beefing up some species with new evolutions and type switches that aren't just separate forms. Sirfetch'd REALLY shouldn't have been limited to a Galar form, the Kanto form has been asking for a buff for so long. Same for Mr Rime.

I don't mind the regional forms, but I don't think they should be used as a roadblock for developing some Pokemon's original species. Heck some like Sneasel have got the best of worlds, stat tune up for original form, regional form and separate evolutions for both. A well developed species compared to what it was in Gen 2.

Last edited:

Luthor

They should really give Luvdisc an evolution now that it's niche is gone. Though I'm half-convinced Alomola started out as a Luvdisk evolution but was changed when they decided not to include old Pokemon during the story section of B/W.

I've often wondered this after I read that Ken Sugimori stated Basculin was created late in development when they realized there were few new "standard" fishlike Pokémon in Unova. For me I've always wondered if the reason they suddenly had this issue was due to them deciding no old Pokemon and thus they could only use new Pokemon and thus decided to cut Pokemon like Magikarp and Luvdisc. It would also make sense given the previous gen had introduced a lot of cross-gen evolutions and it could have been a continuation. But that's more speculation on my part.

As for a new evolution for Luvdisc I definitely would like to see it as even if the evolution wasn't that great it would make it more memorable and to be honest the ability to hold evolite could make it slightly sturdier,

Do I think they will retcon it so Luvdisc evolves into Alomomola? honestly no.
Would I personally like to see it? yes.
Could they do it? yes but it would add some challenges. Firstly they'd have to deal with the gender ratio being different (but to be honest they managed it with Azurill.) There's breeding which they'd probably have to add an incense similar to what they did with a lot of the gen 4 baby Pokemon. There's also the issue that unlike the baby Pokemon Luvdisc can breed and as such they'd have to deal with both an evolved form and a pre-evo being able to breed and produce different Pokemon (which is doable but a challenge). They'd also probably have to treat it as some discovery made that they didn't realise they were connected . Lastly they'd probably have to introduce an evolution method that wasn't possible before given these two Pokemon have both been obtainable in the same games before being connected. But they could easily have some new item added in SV that makes it possible.
Would it be useful? Yes IMO. As mentioned above it would enable Luvdisc to hold eviolite and it would give you more reason to use either as you'd get Luvdisc early on and then rather than replacing for something stronger you have the option of evolving it and keeping it around. Thematically they also work quite well given that Luvdisc represents romantic love connected to couples and then Alomomola is more a nurturing healing love like a parent (it even has mom in the name) and could offer some new move options for both. Sadly I don't think it will happen.

As for Pachirisu and Emolga I'd like for them both to get evolved forms but to be honest I don't see Emolga as enough of an upgrade on Pachirisu for me to be an evolved form. Plus statwise they are very close(and they aren't strong already like Scyther and Scizor). I'd prefer them both to get something to evolve into that are significantly stronger stat wise.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Pachirisu and Emolga are the exact same height and proportions though, hardly a stage up. Raichu's a better reference for evolving one of them, it keeps some of Pikachu's cuter qualities but does look beefier and more menacing. Basically Pikachu's edgy older brother. :p

I mean in terms of Emolga's design and concept where it's basically "Pachirisu, but can fly. A flying squirrel Pokemon just seems like the natural next step for a squirrel Pokemon, and aside from Emolga having black instead of blue in its color scheme it practically looks like a flying Pachirisu. They could still give Pachirisu an evolution, but if they do that everyone will just think "this looks like an Emolga clone!". Hence why I say it was a waste to make Emolga a separate species in the first place instead of just making it a Pachirisu evo.

As for Pachirisu and Emolga I'd like for them both to get evolved forms but to be honest I don't see Emolga as enough of an upgrade on Pachirisu for me to be an evolved form. Plus statwise they are very close(and they aren't strong already like Scyther and Scizor). I'd prefer them both to get something to evolve into that are significantly stronger stat wise.

They've retconned stats as well, they could change Emolga's stats to be more suitable as an evolution.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I mean in terms of Emolga's design and concept where it's basically "Pachirisu, but can fly. A flying squirrel Pokemon just seems like the natural next step for a squirrel Pokemon, and aside from Emolga having black instead of blue in its color scheme it practically looks like a flying Pachirisu. They could still give Pachirisu an evolution, but if they do that everyone will just think "this looks like an Emolga clone!". Hence why I say it was a waste to make Emolga a separate species in the first place instead of just making it a Pachirisu evo.
Actually making some evolutions for the Pika-clones that look completely NOT like Pika-clones would be a fun way to diverge them all, especially if they also got type branches.

See how Oshawott and Piplup have Pikachu vibes with their design, but their evolutions look nothing like him.

Luthor

They've retconned stats as well, they could change Emolga's stats to be more suitable as an evolution.

If it was just the stats sure (though it'd be a massive change for it) but what I mean is I don't see Emolga as enough of an upgrade on Pachirisu in terms of appearance either. Now if they'd designed Emolga to look like a much more like an evolution back in gen 5 sure but given the current design I just don't think it works. Honestly with evolved forms I think you can easily diverge them without making them clone like, if Pachirisu were to get an evolution i'd base it more on Ratufa bicolour (which is one of the largest species of squirrel in the world) and with some inspiration from the mythical creature Ratatoskr rather than a flying Squirrel. As for Emolga I'd go more towards Miopetaurista neogrivensis which is an extinct form of flying squirrel (found in Spain interestingly) and seems to be the oldest known flying squirrel and could work similar to how Yanma works.

Actually making some evolutions for the Pika-clones that look completely NOT like Pika-clones would be a fun way to diverge them all, especially if they also got type branches.

See how Oshawott and Piplup have Pikachu vibes with their design, but their evolutions look nothing like him.

I certainly think they could diverge more with evolved forms but I'd have them at least keep a few features so they still feel like they are connected. Probably the face electric-cheeks mainly.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
If it was just the stats sure (though it'd be a massive change for it) but what I mean is I don't see Emolga as enough of an upgrade on Pachirisu in terms of appearance either. Now if they'd designed Emolga to look like a much more like an evolution back in gen 5 sure but given the current design I just don't think it works.

I disagree, I think you can still have a relatively small looking evolution that still feels like an iteration of its previous form. I actually think Perrserker looks a bit too short for a Meowth evolution, it's only 2 ft tall and it doesn't really feel like a major upgrade in appearance. In fact, when I first encountered one in the overworld I couldn't tell it apart and just thought it was a Galarian Meowth before it triggered a battle and I got a good look at its design. If they can get away with making an evolution like that, they can get away with Emolga being a Pachirisu evolution. At least you'd be able to tell that Emolga is a more advanced form because you know... it has giant wing flaps that allow it to fly.

Honestly with evolved forms I think you can easily diverge them without making them clone like, if Pachirisu were to get an evolution i'd base it more on Ratufa bicolour (which is one of the largest species of squirrel in the world) and with some inspiration from the mythical creature Ratatoskr rather than a flying Squirrel. As for Emolga I'd go more towards Miopetaurista neogrivensis which is an extinct form of flying squirrel (found in Spain interestingly) and seems to be the oldest known flying squirrel and could work similar to how Yanma works.

Thing is that a flying squirrel is probably the most (and maybe only) recognizable variation of a squirrel so that would've been the simplest way to iterate on Pachirisu. Evolution is about iterating on/improving a species, not simply making it bigger. In Pachirisu -> Emolga the iteration/improvement would be about letting it fly and becoming part Flying.