• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokedex - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
From what we've seen so far, I'm liking the Paldea Pokedex more than the Galar one, because a good number of my favourite Pokemon that weren't in Galar are returning like Pyroar, Gogoat and Florges. It's a shame there's no Golurk, especially since it's been in every regional Pokedex since its introduction, but I use it a lot in X, Y, Sword and Shield anyway, and by the look of it there are plenty of other good Ghosts to use.
Sad there is no togekiss though...

Pokemon Power

A Japanese overview trailer has appeared! Spotted Igglybuff, Riolu, Weavile, Leafeon and Fletchinder in it. Now we are at 189.
EDIT: Pokemon Go is collaborating with the main series again to introduce the new Ghost-type Gimmighoul. The new trailer also shows male Pyroar and Midday Form Lycanroc. Number's now at 192.
EDIT 2: So in the little music video they released today, there were glimpses of Jolteon, Staravia, Dedenne, Carkol and Dragapult, as well as our first look at Paradox Pokemon, both based on and may be respectively an ancestor and descendent of the Phanpy family, specifically Donphan. The one in Scarlet is nicknamed Great Tusk, while the one in Violet is nicknamed Iron Treads. The website also confirms fan favorite fully evolved original Kanto starter Charizard, as well as Heat Rotom, Hisuian Zorua and Kleavor. Add them all up, and the roster now has 202 species of Pokemon.

Last edited:

Pokemon Power

The dex has leaked. And I’m only gonna reference returning Pokémon. New ones are their own page.
In addition to all classic Pokémon seen thus far, and their evolutionary relatives, we have the evolutionary families of Mankey, Voltorb, Tauros (with three different Paldean forms), Ditto, Qwilfish, Heracross, Delibird, Stantler, Surskit, Gulpin, Spoink, Barboach, Shuppet, Luvdisc, Kricketot, Buizel, Shellos, Stunky, Spiritomb, Gible, Basculin, Gothita, Foongus, Alomomola, Axew, Pawniard, Rufflet, Larvesta, Skrelp, Hawlucha, Klefki, Bergmite, Yungoos, Crabrawler, Salandit, Oranguru, Passimian, Sandygast, Bruxish, Silicobra, Arrokuda, Impidimp, Falinks, Snom, and Indeedee. That's 297 returning Pokemon, and add them up with 103 new ones, including all the new Pokemon we've seen thus far and some new evolutions, and the Paldea Dex has an even 400. The Charmander family, Quagsire, Perrserker, and all the new evolutions from Pokemon Legends are not counted, and can only be obtained through Pokemon Home, along with all the Alolan, Galarian and Hisuian forms of available Pokemon, and of course regular Wooper. You can also bring the Kalos starter families (Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie), the Galar starter families (Grookey, Scorbunny and Sobble), the mixed and matched Hisui starter families (Cyndaquil from Johto, Oshawott from Unova, and Rowlet from Alola, both the regular and Hisuian forms of their final evolved states are present), and Carbink. In terms of legendary Pokemon, you can bring the legendary birds (both regular and Galarian), Mewtwo, the weather trio (Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza), the lake spirits (Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf), the reality trio (Dialga, Palkia and Giratina), Heatran, Cresselia, the Forces of Nature (including Enamorus), the warrior trio (Zacian, Zamazenta and Eternatus), the Kubfu family, the new legendary golems (Regieleki and Regidrago), and the royalty trio (Glastrier, Spectrier and Calyrex). Finally, in terms of mythicals, you can bring Mew, Arceus, Meloetta, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion, Magearna, and Zarude. That brings it to 476 Pokemon available.
Most of this comes from Riddler Khu, so there is a chance that there are some inconsistencies. So I'll keep you posted.
EDIT: Here's a link to a picture of the datamined box sprites to confirm it. All the Pikachu sprites reference Pokemon that didn't make it in.
Apparently, the two Poke Ball sprites are placeholders for two legendary Pokemon to be added as DLC down the line. One in Scarlet that's a past Paradox Pokemon based on the legendary beasts, and a future Paradox Pokemon in Violet based on the Swords of Justice.

Last edited:

Pokemon Power

Now that the games are out and the full lineup has been officially revealed, I'm gonna update the first post with links to the Serebii pages of the Paldea Dex and transfer-only Pokemon. With the rumor of DLC down the line, I'm gonna keep the thread open just a little longer, in case there are more Pokemon added in patches.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
While I really like the designs & themes of the Gen 9 pokémon, none of them really scream Spain or the Ibearian Peninsula

In contrast, the Gen 8 pokémon were my personal favorites since they have really strong designs & nearly all of them are based on the most obscure elements of UK culture & history
  • The starters are based on different aspects of England’s pop culture
  • Skwovet & Greedent are based on the relationship between the red & brown squirrels
  • Mr. Rime is Charlie Chaplin
  • Galarian Weezing represents the culture & environment of the Industrial Revolution
  • Clobbopus & Grapploct are based on octopus wrestling
  • The fossils are based on the bone wars
  • Duraludon is the white dragon to Charizard’s red dragon, and its Gigantamax form is the London shard
  • Grimmsnarl, Hatrerene, & Rapidash are based on various monsters & characters from fairy tales
  • Perrserker & Runerigus are based on the Viking settlements of Britain
Though I love how the Gen 9 pokémon are mostly based on the various stories and themes of the game, I don’t really see the connection to Spain or the Ibearian Peninsula like Gen 8 had to the UK

Last edited:

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
While I really like the designs & themes of the Gen 9 pokémon, none of them really scream Spain or the Ibearian Peninsula

In contrast, the Gen 8 pokémon were my personal favorites since they have really strong designs & nearly all of them are based on the most obscure elements of UK culture & history
  • The starters are based on different aspects of culture
  • Duraludon is the white dragon to Charizard’s red dragon, and its Gigantamax form is the London shard
  • Grimmsnarl, Hatrerene, & Rapidash are based on various monsters & characters from fairy tales
Though I love how the Gen 9 pokémon are mostly based on the various stories and themes of the game, I don’t really see the connection to Spain or the Ibearian Peninsula like Gen 8 had to the UK
Only thing even remotely close is that Meowscarada seems to be a Iberian Lynx

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?

• The starters are based on different aspects of England’s pop culture
I agree that there doesn't seem to be much connection to Spanish culture with a lot of the Gen 9 Pokemon. There are a few things here and there, like Lechonk being named after the Spanish pork dish lechon, Flamigo having "amigo" in its name (plus you do get flamingos in Spain), and Paldea Tauros being black to resemble the type of bulls you often see matadors fighting, but for the most part it seems like they were just going through a tick list of things that haven't been made into Pokemon yet. Dolphin, check. Flamingo, check. Dung Beetle, check. Tumbleweed, check. Aye-aye, check. Let's make the aye-aye's pre-evolution a tenrec just for fun. How about we do another parrot? And another crab? And another spider? And three more dogs?
Granted, every Pokemon generation has done stuff like this, but it would've been nice if Gen 9 dived more into Spanish culture for inspiration.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I agree that there doesn't seem to be much connection to Spanish culture with a lot of the Gen 9 Pokemon. There are a few things here and there, like Lechonk being named after the Spanish pork dish lechon, Flamigo having "amigo" in its name (plus you do get flamingos in Spain), and Paldea Tauros being black to resemble the type of bulls you often see matadors fighting, but for the most part it seems like they were just going through a tick list of things that haven't been made into Pokemon yet. Dolphin, check. Flamingo, check. Dung Beetle, check. Tumbleweed, check. Aye-aye, check. Let's make the aye-aye's pre-evolution a tenrec just for fun. How about we do another parrot? And another crab? And another spider? And three more dogs?
Granted, every Pokemon generation has done stuff like this, but it would've been nice if Gen 9 dived more into Spanish culture for inspiration.
It’s a shame considering how Gen 6 and 7 had many of their new Pokémon tie into their real life inspirations.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Dolphin, check. Flamingo, check. Dung Beetle, check. Tumbleweed, check. Aye-aye, check. Let's make the aye-aye's pre-evolution a tenrec just for fun. How about we do another parrot? And another crab? And another spider? And three more dogs?
I think it’s more like they were trying to come up with pokémon that are based on the themes/stories & features of the games. There are Pokémon based on
  • The towns of the gym leaders (Smoliv, Veluza)
  • Treasure hunting & excavation (Gimmighoul, the quartet, the paradox pokémon, Bramblin)
  • The past & future (the paradox forms, Espathra, Rabsca, Farigiraf, Bellibolt, Lokix)
  • Racing and fast travel (Revaroom, Cyclizar, the box legendaries),
  • Troublemakers & delinquents (Grafaiai, Anihilape, Squawkabilly, Mabostiff)
  • Cooking (Fidough, Dondozo, Tatsugiri, Scovillain)
  • Co-op play (Palafin)

It’s kind of similar to the Kalos pokémon since they had a lot of designs based on Europe as a whole & the various environments rather than France specifically (the only two I can think of with real France influence weee Furfrou & Goodra)

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Quaquaval is clearly based on the costumes and dancing of the Rio Carnival which is held in Brazil where they speak Portuguese and the nation was once a colony of Portugal.

shadowF

Really does feel like the three starters represent a different country like Meowscarada represents Span, Quaquaval represents Brazil and Skeledrige represents Mexico. Makes it feel more unique and feels more representative of different cultures especially since I can't see a region based on Mexico or Brazil anytime soon.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Really does feel like the three starters represent a different country like Meowscarada represents Span, Quaquaval represents Brazil and Skeledrige represents Mexico. Makes it feel more unique and feels more representative of different cultures especially since I can't see a region based on Mexico or Brazil anytime soon.
I could see Brazil if it is a region based on the Amazon Rainforest. Mexico I can’t see mostly because it doesn’t really have too many different types environment.

epithumia

Poison-type enthusiast
I could see Brazil if it is a region based on the Amazon Rainforest. Mexico I can’t see mostly because it doesn’t really have too many different types environment.
it'd be a bit of a waste to base it solely off the Amazon forest, we have desertic environments like the caatinga and the cerrado, we have temperate zones, we have Pantanal. a region based off Brazil could have a lot of potential

Pokemon Power

One week since the game release and they still haven’t officially revealed the starters evolutions.
I wonder if they are going silent as an attempt of damage control after the game scores were bombed due to the game performance.
Personally, I'm not letting the game performance stop me from having a swell adventure. Besides, it was their first try, and I'm pretty sure they'll fix it with a patch.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
This may be a site question as well: how long until we get the official artworks for the Gen 9 Pokémon?
So far we've gotten official artworks of the following Gen 9 Pokemon:

Floragato
Meowscarada
Crocalor
Skeledirge
Quaxwell
Quaquaval
Cetoddle
Orthworm
Wugtrio
Tinkatink
Tinkatuff
Tinkaton
Palafin (Zero Form)
Palafin (Hero Form)
Maschiff
Mabosstiff
Bombirdier
Dachsbun
Tatsugiri
Charcadet
Tarountula
Paldean Tauros (Combat Breed)
Paldean Tauros (Blaze Breed)
Paldean Tauros (Aqua Breed)
Great Tusk
Iron Treads

Last edited:

MrJechgo

May I ask how these are added? Does someone rip them from guides? Wait for a web site update?
How does it work?