• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokemon - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Lilligantastic

It's not that deep. Both Sun & Moon and Sword & Shield had a drought of news after the initial announcement, followed by a period of sizeable ~monthly trailers over the summer. Sun & Moon had several smaller infodumps inbetween, but either way both games picked up their trailer releases by August/September to be almost weekly. We've had the drought, and we've had the first of the monthly trailers, so naturally it'll be around early July when we next get info. It's the same schedule every single time. I don't know why people act disappointed. The hype will build as the games get closer, which is the most logical way to do it.

Last edited:

SoraFan23

Generation 4 was how I got into Pokémon
I am not going to ask for much but I just want this game to have a good story and please for the love of god let us turn off tutorials.

Luthor

When it comes to new Pokemon one thing I'd like to see is a male evolution for Combee. I know Combee is based on bees and hive males are drones but I think there are some really interesting ideas that Pokemon has the ability to vary it up. I've seen some examples where they still are drones but much more soldier like, I once suggested an evolved form that gets kicked out of the hive and become a solitary bee and of course you could always have the drone become a ghost type (referencing drones dying quickly). I've seen lots of good ideas and if I mentioned them all it'd take a while.

Last edited:

scififan21

My problem is the lack of region name/map that is all I really want to see or something like that because geez we need the region name that is it. I can't say I'm excited to go to a region without a name. XD That is a joke by the way I do look forward to these games. I really want a steelbook for these games seriously I love the one I got for S/M.

Rune Knight

SS and LA implemented some really cool evolution methods; such as Farfetch'd evolving by landing three critical strikes and Basculin evolving by accumulating recoil damage without fainting.

I would be open to hearing some new ideas regarding this subject from you guys.

I had this idea where a flying-type Pokémon could evolve only at a certain altitude that the player would need to reach by getting up mountains.

And here's a crazy one; a Pokémon that would need to be released and then "found" later in the wild. When encountered, the Pokémon would also keep whatever nickname that the player gave it before releasing it. The player would not need to catch the Pokémon a second time and would simply rejoin their party after being found.

DannyDiglett

SS and LA implemented some really cool evolution methods; such as Farfetch'd evolving by landing three critical strikes and Basculin evolving by accumulating recoil damage without fainting.

I had this idea where a flying-type Pokémon could evolve only at a certain altitude that the player would need to reach by getting up mountains.

And here's a crazy one; a Pokémon that would need to be released and then "found" later in the wild. When encountered, the Pokémon would also keep whatever nickname that the player gave it before releasing it. The player would not need to catch the Pokémon a second time and would simply rejoin their party after being found.
These are some of my ideas, though they are not as original as yours:

- Pokémon that evolves after being hit three times by moves from a certain type (being hit three times by Water type moves for example).
- Pokémon that evolves after being infatuated.
- Pokémon that evolves after being affected by a status condition. Would be crazy to see a Pokémon evolve after it has been poisoned. Its evolution could be part Poison type. Same goes with a burn that leads to an evolution that is part Fire type.

Since we have a weather evolution with Sliggoo during rain, I would like to see evolutions (at a certain level) during a sandstorm, hail, and harsh sunlight as well.

Rune Knight

- Pokémon that evolves after being hit three times by moves from a certain type (being hit three times by Water type moves for example).
- Pokémon that evolves after being affected by a status condition. Would be crazy to see a Pokémon evolve after it has been poisoned. Its evolution could be part Poison type. Same goes with a burn that leads to an evolution that is part Fire type.

Since we have a weather evolution with Sliggoo during rain, I would like to see evolutions (at a certain level) during a sandstorm, hail, and harsh sunlight as well.

The infatuation idea didn't even cross my mind, so maybe evolving under confusion could also be a thing.

The status condition evolution sounds super cool. I was also thinking that those pokémon could obtain a full fletched immunity to those conditions after evolving.

Luthor

I probably wouldn't choose the infatuation one unless there's an easy way to inflict it. With Toxic and Burn you can easily inflict it with orbs. Given attract isn't that common of a move it could become frustrating.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
So, is Paldean Wooper going to be better than Johtonian Wooper? (which might extend to its Quagsire's Regional form, if its exists and has the same typing)

While Paldean Wooper has "4" 2x Weakness, with its Water Absorb ability that's reduced to "3" 2x Weakness.
While Johtonian Wooper has "1" 4x Weakness.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
So, is Paldean Wooper going to be better than Johtonian Wooper? (which might extend to its Quagsire's Regional form, if its exists and has the same typing)

While Paldean Wooper has "4" 2x Weakness, with its Water Absorb ability that's reduced to "3" 2x Weakness.
While Johtonian Wooper has "1" 4x Weakness.
It's a matter of perspective. Water/Ground is one of the best and most underrated type combinations out there, but Poison/Ground has good things going for it too, like STAB on moves like Sludge Bomb or Sludge Wave. I wouldn't go as far as saying one is definitely better than the other.

Orphalesion

It's interesting that they have this tendency to make food/desert/pastry themed Fairy Pokemon; Gen 6 had Slurpuff, Gen 8 had Alcremie, and now Gen 9 gets Fidough.
It's kind of an odd "theme"

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
It's interesting that they have this tendency to make food/desert/pastry themed Fairy Pokemon; Gen 6 had Slurpuff, Gen 8 had Alcremie, and now Gen 9 gets Fidough.
It's kind of an odd "theme"
I guess at Gamefreak its the easiest to relate to the type.

It gives off Sailor Moon-esque, female centered anime vibes and sells it off as a mix of two cute things.

But then we have Granbull and Grimmsnarl.

Though soon I hope for a fairy type gym leader who has all the pastry mon.

Orphalesion

I guess at Gamefreak its the easiest to relate to the type.

It gives off Sailor Moon-esque, female centered anime vibes and sells it off as a mix of two cute things.

But then we have Granbull and Grimmsnarl.

Though soon I hope for a fairy type gym leader who has all the pastry mon.

Yeah magical girls and jewels seem to be the other big themes in GF's fairy type.

I think Granbull falls under "ugly cute" and Grimmsnarl does have the secondary dark type to justify its darker appearance, and it does evolve from a mischievous imp.

(and before somebody tries to point out to me that ogres, trolls or whatever else Grimsnarl is based on are 'mythological creatures': Not every mythological creature has to be fairy type)

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Yeah magical girls and jewels seem to be the other big themes in GF's fairy type.

I think Granbull falls under "ugly cute" and Grimmsnarl does have the secondary dark type to justify its darker appearance, and it does evolve from a mischievous imp.

(and before somebody tries to point out to me that ogres, trolls or whatever else Grimsnarl is based on are 'mythological creatures': Not every mythological creature has to be fairy type)
I could go for some more traditionally Fae inspired Pokemon though

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
The only disappointing part of the trailer was how many pokémon were revealed. Even after it, we stand at a mere 5 (FIVE) known pokémon besides the starters and legendaries.

I didn't liked Cetitan when I watched the trailer because it looked like a mix of Duraludon and Pincurchin.
Checking it on the website, though, and realizing it is an ice land whale... the thing is sick!!! Definitely one I will want to give a try.
Too bad I don't think it is going to evolve, a name like this (Cetus+Titan) begets a colossal size.
(EDIT: According to the website, Cetitan is 4.5 meters. Well, that's a LOT bigger than it looked in the trailer)

Fidough is whatever.

Last edited:

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
The only disappointing part of the trailer was how many pokémon were revealed. Even after it, we stand at a mere 5 (FIVE) known pokémon besides the starters and legendaries.

I didn't liked Cetitan when I watched the trailer because it looked like a mix of Duraludon and Pincurchin.
Checking it on the website, though, and realizing it is an ice land whale... the thing is sick!!! Definitely one I will want to give a try.
Too bad I don't think it is going to evolve, a name like this (Cetus+Titan) begets a colossal size.

Fidough is whatever.
Well this trailer actually confirmed all the leaks

so those that know, now know like half the dex

Charmander103

I was just telling a friend how I think the new Pup pastry should evolve only if it survives three critical hits from a fire attack, turning into a lovely bread stick doggo or something like that. BUT if it is knocked unconscious from those hit's it then become burnt toast lol

Orphalesion

I could go for some more traditionally Fae inspired Pokemon though
I mean some are.
And I don't think all traditional fairy creatures should get the fairy type.
If they ever make a Dullahan Pokémon, for example, then dark/steel, ghost/steel or ghost/dark would fit a lot better than just slapping it with the fairy type just because its a fay creature in folklore.