• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokemon - Discussion/Speculation Thread

IcySealeo

I really thought Cetitan is going to be out first Poison/Ice Pokemon. Something about it just screams poison.

Red and Blue

Cetitan is really starting to grow on me. It's one of my favorite Pokemon revealed so far next to Koraidon, Quaxly, and Sprigatito

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
So far the design of the new Pokemon seem not too complex and nice
Don’t care about the regional forms for now till I see a Kalos one.

Luthor

So, is Paldean Wooper going to be better than Johtonian Wooper? (which might extend to its Quagsire's Regional form, if its exists and has the same typing)

While Paldean Wooper has "4" 2x Weakness, with its Water Absorb ability that's reduced to "3" 2x Weakness.
While Johtonian Wooper has "1" 4x Weakness.

Hard to say without knowing stats and hidden ability. It might be better but its a best guesswork for now.

It's interesting that they have this tendency to make food/desert/pastry themed Fairy Pokemon; Gen 6 had Slurpuff, Gen 8 had Alcremie, and now Gen 9 gets Fidough.
It's kind of an odd "theme"

It's odd but then again it living food Pokemon seems a bit of a mystical Pokemon (not counting pokemon like Smoliv which are based on edible natural things) so fairy fits best . It wouldn't shock me if the good cook we see has at least some of these Pokemon.

I didn't liked Cetitan when I watched the trailer because it looked like a mix of Duraludon and Pincurchin.
Checking it on the website, though, and realizing it is an ice land whale... the thing is sick!!! Definitely one I will want to give a try.
Too bad I don't think it is going to evolve, a name like this (Cetus+Titan) begets a colossal size.
(EDIT: According to the website, Cetitan is 4.5 meters. Well, that's a LOT bigger than it looked in the trailer)

Ceititan has grown on me quite a bit from initial trailer as well. I don't think it'll evolve given its size but it might have a pre-evolved form or two. I'd love it to be the Psuedo Legendary of the region or connected to the Dewgong line but in both cases I don't think it is. Still it looks cool and slush rush can be a lot of fun.

I don't care much for Fidough, I don't find the animal+sweets Fairy trope very interesting and the bread dog doesn't really add anything new to it either. The name is fantastic though. I'm expecting it to evolve at least once.
Cetitan is much more interesting to me. I like when they take aquatic animals and make them terrestrial, i.e. Hippowdown, Garchomp, Krookodile etc. I also like that it seems to draw inspiration from a lot of different cetaceans instead of just basing it on one specific one. Not quite sure how I feel about the pink highlights and the eyelashes/eyelash markings. Seems like there are some unfortunate parallels one can draw to the way 'landwhale' is sometimes used as an insult. I'm guessing it is either a single-stage Pokémon or it has evolved once already.
I love Wooper and the Paldean variant is pretty neat too, I like the gills being formed like crossbones and the markings kind of looking like a fish spine.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Some of the data-mining shows it's likely there will be a small town in the area based on how some NPCs are named.

I miss triple battles and rotation battles. I get that they were ultimately taken out because there were too many Pokémon models onscreen at once, but there are definitely more than 6 onscreen at once much of the time in Sword & Shield.

I do genuinely wonder what they'll do going forward though. Didn't they say that Dynamax was tied specifically to Galar, just as Z-Crystals and Z-Moves were tied specifically to Alola?
I'm sure they'll pull something from their butt.
Huh, this quote aged well.

Rune Knight

Why do they keep making sweet/pastry Pokemon into Fairy?

Maybe Food Type Pokémon could be a thing.

It would be super effective against grass, ground, and water.
Not very effective against bug.
Resistant to ice.
Weak to bug, fire, normal, and poison.

It's probably a bad idea but I felt like sharing it anyway.

Orphalesion

Why do they keep making sweet/pastry Pokemon into Fairy?

Well since, at least the romantic movement fairies are frequently associated with sweets and candy and such (like the Sugarplum Fairy), including types of candies that are named after them, like Fairy Floss.
Even in older tradition typical gifts/sacrifices to fairies often involved milk, honey and other sweet tasting food as it was available back then.

Plus GF frequently sorts cute and/or "sweet" things into the fairy type.

Baggie_Saiyan

Cetitan another cool looking Ice Mon that's stuck being an Ice type... and that's where this Gen's gimmick could be beneficial remove that typing and thus buffing ice types!

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Cetitan another cool looking Ice Mon that's stuck being an Ice type... and that's where this Gen's gimmick could be beneficial remove that typing and thus buffing ice types!
I love that. Buff a type by giving the Pokemon with that type a completely different type. I feel so bad for Ice Pokemon sometimes.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
The infatuation idea didn't even cross my mind, so maybe evolving under confusion could also be a thing.

The status condition evolution sounds super cool. I was also thinking that those pokémon could obtain a full fletched immunity to those conditions after evolving.
It could even be an Eevee type thing with different status conditions leading to different types evos.

I had the idea that we could get a regional Swablu that's yellow and pure flying with grey cloud wings and then the altaria would be in a different form depending on the Swablu's status condition. Acid rain clouds ( flying/poison) for poisoned with a black body and purple cloud wings, hail clouds(flying/ice) for frozen with a grey body with white could wings, parting clouds (flying/fire) with a Altaria's body glowing yellow like the sun between illuminated orange cloud wings for burned, soft rain clouds(flying/ water) for sleep with mid grey wings and a pale yellow body, thunderstorm clouds ( flying/electric) with black cloud wings and a yellow body, fog wings for confused ( flying/ fairy) with light grey wings and a pale pink body.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Cyclizar's appearance suggests it may be a pre-evo of the mascot legendary, obviously with a version-exclusive evolution into Koraidon or Miraidon. Cosmog line also had this distinctive trait among legendaries. I'm assuming the secondary Normal-type gets swapped out for another type when it evolves.