• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokemon - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
All of the Pikachu clones have pretty different names from each other so I don’t think how Pawnia Japanese name is really any evidence towards it not being a Pikaclones.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that Pawmi is the new Pikaclone.
I meant that a tradition of the pikaclones is that their English name is, like Pikachu, kept the same as the Japanese name (with some small differences like Emolga vs. Emonga). Pawmi's Japanese name is Pamo.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
We don't know the romanization for Pawmi's Japanese name. For all we know, it's Pawmo, which would make it the same as Emolga.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
We don't know the romanization for Pawmi's Japanese name. For all we know, it's Pawmo, which would make it the same as Emolga.
This exactly.
Plus, until Emolga/Emonga, every pikaclone had the exact same name in both english and japanese. If Emolga brought some level of flexibility to that, there is nothing keeping a pikaclone from expanding it further or even having a complete different name and throwing that pattern away.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
This exactly.
Plus, until Emolga/Emonga, every pikaclone had the exact same name in both english and japanese. If Emolga brought some level of flexibility to that, there is nothing keeping a pikaclone from expanding it further or even having a complete different name and throwing that pattern away.
Emolga's name was changed because it contained an offensive slang term in it.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
All of the Pikachu clones have pretty different names from each other so I don’t think how Pawnia Japanese name is really any evidence towards it not being a Pikaclones.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that Pawmi is the new Pikaclone.
I think what hints at Pawmi being the Pikaclone is the Electric-typing, based on a small rodent and having the circles on its cheeks.

Emolga is so far the only Pikaclone to have its name partially changed from the original Japanese, due to the presence of “Mong” in its name. It’s an offensive British term towards those with Down Syndrome, so it was clearly changed to avoid implications of ableism.

Baggie_Saiyan

Internet memes at work, and calling a pig Pokémon chonky gets people excited lol xD Pawmi looks more like a chinchilla or hamster.
It seems to me GF know exactly what they're doing then cuz wasn't Wooloo one of the first SwSh revealed too? Also similar with H Growlithe everyone seemed to lose their minds over that too

Luthor

It's not necessarily fluffy, but I would really like a Poison/Fairy Paras and Parasect based on white mold.

Paras is a very interesting Pokemon to get a regional form/new final evolution as there's a lot that can be done. I've mentioned wanting to see a Parasect evo- My suggestion for the Evolution was Grass/Dark- (as what remained of the insect was completely transformed into mushroom). I've also seen some good ideas for a Paras line where the mushroom isn't part of the body and they are pure bug (and we could see a completely non corrupted line for it). Poison/Fairy is the first time i've seen that suggest but typewise it'd be an interesting mix of types and with the right design could be very cool.

Orphalesion

I've also seen some good ideas for a Paras line where the mushroom isn't part of the body and they are pure bug (and we could see a completely non corrupted line for it).
But I think that would require a whole different Regional Evolution then, since Paras is pretty much a fungus-infected cicada nymph (like Nincada) so a Paras variant not infected by he fungus would likely evolve into a cicada-like Regional Evolution rather than Parasect.
To differenciate it from Ninjask said evolution could be themed around the powerful sound a mature Cicada makes. Maybe combine the idea with a lightning bug and make it Bug/Electric, with that cicada sound being represented by electric humming?
Or maybe bug-psychic, with the humming being a telepathic power that overwhelms intruders and opponents by tricking their minds into hearing a deafening cicada song.

Luthor

But I think that would require a whole different Regional Evolution then, since Paras is pretty much a fungus-infected cicada nymph (like Nincada) so a Paras variant not infected by he fungus would likely evolve into a cicada-like Regional Evolution rather than Parasect.
To differenciate it from Ninjask said evolution could be themed around the powerful sound a mature Cicada makes. Maybe combine the idea with a lightning bug and make it Bug/Electric, with that cicada sound being represented by electric humming?

That would be my hope. As much as I like Parasect I would be hoping for a new direction if not infected with mushroom. As for the electric idea I would be onboard with that as a concept.

Last edited:

Nave

I'm liking Pawmi more and more the more I look at it--especially the official art. I like how it can inflict status with Static, or cure its own status with Natural Cure. The concept of a Pokémon with Volt Switch having Natural Cure is pretty cool. Since it seems special to Nemona, it might evolve--differentiating it from other pikaclones (Pikachu itself has an evolution, so why can't a pikaclone?).

Lechonk is just glorious--from name to design... everything. I could see it going in different directions typing-wise when it evolves: I could see it becoming Normal/Fighting, Normal/Fairy, or Normal/Ground. That's partly why I hope it has split evolutions.

I don't like Smoliv though. It, uhh... gives me the heebie jeebies.

I heard the rumors about the idea of Mega Evolution returning to this Game, were the idea of Dynamax/Gigantamax in Pokémon Sword and Shield really that unpopular?

Is it true? if so, Please elaborate it to me about the return of Mega Evolution to clear that rumor up.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I heard the rumors about the idea of Mega Evolution returning to this Game, were the idea of Dynamax/Gigantamax in Pokémon Sword and Shield really that unpopular?

Is it true? if so, Please elaborate it to me about the return of Mega Evolution to clear that rumor up.
It's BS. Mega Evos likely aren't coming back until we get Gen 6 remakes.