• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokemon - Discussion/Speculation Thread

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
It's BS. Mega Evos likely aren't coming back until we get Gen 6 remakes.
I think that one of the dataminers found all of the Mega Evolution information in the PLA code. If SV is an extension of the PLA engine, then it is possible that Mega Evolution could be coming back in some fashion. Especially if it is being heavily featured in the anime...

I think that would be a post-game thing like it was in SMUSUM.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
A lot of people seem to think that Lechonk is the regional rodent. I don’t think it is but it’s another early Mon like Lillipup.
I feel the same, its definitely the Stoutland or Dubwool line for this gen.

Everyone thought Galarian Zigzagoon and Wooloo were the regional rodents when they were revealed for gen 8, even though Greedent line was a thing and weren't revealed until launch (earliest being a Greedent shirt an NPC had).

Its all down to Pokemon's marketing team, seems they've gotten away from showing off the default route 1 rodent, bird and bug starting forms formula.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I feel the same, its definitely the Stoutland or Dubwool line for this gen.

Everyone thought Galarian Zigzagoon and Wooloo were the regional rodents when they were revealed for gen 8, even though Greedent line was a thing and weren't revealed until launch (earliest being a Greedent shirt an NPC had).

Its all down to Pokemon's marketing team, seems they've gotten away from showing off the default route 1 rodent, bird and bug starting forms formula.
As far as I was aware, of Galar’s token “Route 1 Pokémon”, only Corviknight (exactly just Corviknight, not Rookidee or Corvisquire) was officially known by the public before the games’ release. In comparison, Gen 5, 6 and 7 revealed all three (bird, bug and rodent) prior to release.

Last edited:

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
As far as I was aware, of Galar’s token “Route 1 Pokémon”, only Corviknight (exactly just Corviknight, not Rookidee or Corvisquire) was officially known by the public before the games’ release. In comparison, Gen 5, 6 and 7 revealed all three prior to release.
Which made some think it might have been gen 8's Braviary due to not being released as Rookiedee.

Will be interesting what the gen 9 pokedex overall will look like and what staples will stay the same or be shaken up.

Luthor

Personally when it comes to the regional bug of the region what i'd like to see is the regional bug be a new regional form of a 2-stage Pokemon evolution (E.G Ledyba line or Kricketot line or something similar) and then get a new regional evolution. There's already a lot of weak underused bug types and I think rather than introduce another new weak bug use something already weak with a better typing and them allow it to evolve so it proves useful once you are able to fully evolve it to a third stage.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
As far as I was aware, of Galar’s token “Route 1 Pokémon”, only Corviknight (exactly just Corviknight, not Rookidee or Corvisquire) was officially known by the public before the games’ release. In comparison, Gen 5, 6 and 7 revealed all three prior to release.
Nyope. Only Pidove, Fletchling, Talonflame, and Pikipek got revealed.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Personally when it comes to the regional bug of the region what i'd like to see is the regional bug be a new regional form of a 2-stage Pokemon evolution (E.G Ledyba line or Kricketot line or something similar) and then get a new regional evolution. There's already a lot of weak underused bug types and I think rather than introduce another new weak bug use something already weak with a better typing and them allow it to evolve so it proves useful once you are able to fully evolve it to a third stage.
Or just do what they've been doing as of late and make another VIkavolt or Orbeetle.

Even another Mothim or Ribombee is welcome.

Plus with a regional version of a bug with new evolution alongside it would be ideal.

Like what they did for dark types in gen 8 with Nickitt and Galarian Zigzagoon

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
It seems that people love lechonk for some reason I cannot understand, but I bet the hype will go down once it turns out it suck’s competitively. The other reveals are sort of cute? But boring. The starters this gen look decent at least. Gen 6 through 8 has been mostly a let down in that department. As for the titular legendaries, they look like dragons taken out of Spyro Skylanders. I hope the next reveals get better, but the past 2 generations have been filled with so much ugly designs that I’m not holding my breath.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
It seems that people love lechonk for some reason I cannot understand, but I bet the hype will go down once it turns out it suck’s competitively. The other reveals are sort of cute? But boring. The starters this gen look decent at least. Gen 6 through 8 has been mostly a let down in that department. As for the titular legendaries, they look like dragons taken out of Spyro Skylanders. I hope the next reveals get better, but the past 2 generations have been filled with so much ugly designs that I’m not holding my breath.
I want a gen with amazing designs like gen 6

Luthor

Or just do what they've been doing as of late and make another VIkavolt or Orbeetle.

Even another Mothim or Ribombee is welcome.

Plus with a regional version of a bug with new evolution alongside it would be ideal.

Like what they did for dark types in gen 8 with Nickitt and Galarian Zigzagoon

They could do any of those things. But regardless I am very much in-line with the Zigazgoon treatment. The main reason I want a the bug to get the Zigzagoon treatment is there are so many weak bug lines that really need some work and for these Pokemon who still can get a further evolution it feels like an excellent time to revisit these lines.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
They could do any of those things. But regardless I am very much in-line with the Zigazgoon treatment. The main reason I want a the bug to get the Zigzagoon treatment is there are so many weak bug lines that really need some work and for these Pokemon who still can get a further evolution it feels like an excellent time to revisit these lines.
I still think it would be cool to get a Power Ranger/Kamen Rider evolution for Ledian and be Bug/Fighting with levitate or something.

Be cool to have it go up against UFO samurai Orbeetle.

Subjective,

Has been the opposite for me, but I get where you are coming from.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Meme culture.

People love them because LeCHONK and SMOLiv. Notice how Pawmi is not as popular.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I want a gen with amazing designs like gen 6
Generation 6 gave us designs like a rabbit with arm-ears, a jack-o-lantern, a dead tree stump, a crustacean that has a strong hand and the puppy that needs to be constantly groomed. It has its faults. Every generation has very questionable designs.

Meme culture.

People love them because LeCHONK and SMOLiv. Notice how Pawmi is not as popular.
Love the names, too. That’s my favorite part about those two right now.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I meant all three of the early route staples. Not just the birds.
Yep. Patrat, Pidove, Bunnelby, Fletchling, Scatterbug, Pikipek, Yungoos and Grubbin were all revealed pre-release. SWSH never really showed Rokidee as you've mentioned. Wooloo is the only Route 1 Galar Pokemon they revealed.

Also, I just realized Gen 5 have no early route bug.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Yep. Patrat, Pidove, Bunnelby, Fletchling, Scatterbug, Pikipek, Yungoos and Grubbin were all revealed pre-release. SWSH never really showed Rokidee as you've mentioned. Wooloo is the only Route 1 Galar Pokemon they revealed.

You could argue Sewaddle and Venipede were Gen 5’s closest answer to an early bug, but they made them deliberately available later than the first Gym so that the player who chose Oshawott was forced to use Pansear to beat Cilan. Same reason why Pidove was also locked behind getting the first badge, they didn’t want you to cheat the Grass/Fire/Water type matchup education that the Striaton Gym was about.

TRNRLogan

Gen 5 has 2 just like Gen 1.

Sewaddle and Venipede

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Gen 5 has 2 just like Gen 1.

Sewaddle and Venipede
I suppose it depends on what you count as "early route", because Sewaddle and Venipede aren't on Unova Route 1 or 2, as early Bug-types tend to be, they don't become available until after you've defeated the second gym, what I personally class as the beginning of mid-game. But again, it depends on your own definitions.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I suppose it depends on what you count as "early route", because Sewaddle and Venipede aren't on Unova Route 1 or 2, as early Bug-types tend to be, they don't become available until after you've defeated the second gym, what I personally class as the beginning of mid-game. But again, it depends on your own definitions.
That’s why I said they were the “closest” to being an early game bug. It’s just that they happen to be the only one of the “early bug” category to not be on the first routes. The fact they evolve later than most also explains it.