• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokemon - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Luthor

I still think it would be cool to get a Power Ranger/Kamen Rider evolution for Ledian and be Bug/Fighting with levitate or something.

Be cool to have it go up against UFO samurai Orbeetle.

Now that I would like. Ledian just doesn't feel like the final stage and even its pokdex entries describe it as having weak punches. Plus Orbeetle is Partially inspired by a mad scientist so it works even better.

Meme culture.

People love them because LeCHONK and SMOLiv. Notice how Pawmi is not as popular.

To an extent yes but some people just don't like Pawmi's design in particular. It's not the most exciting design in my personal opinion (though if it gets a new evolution that may change). I've also seen people saying they don't like how it looks in-game but like its official artwork. Some people just don't like Pikaclones (which this seems to be). Its all subjective and I've seen some people really love it.

Also, I just realized Gen 5 have no early route bug.

Gen 5 had quite strong bug types. I don't know why but they seem to have some focus towards it. It did lead to some great designs so I'm ok with it and would like to see more of that. Guess that meant making them slightly later made some sense.

You could argue Sewaddle and Venipede were Gen 5’s closest answer to an early bug, but they made them deliberately available later than the first Gym so that the player who chose Oshawott was forced to use Pansear to beat Cilan. Same reason why Pidove was also locked behind getting the first badge, they didn’t want you to cheat the Grass/Fire/Water type matchup education that the Striaton Gym was about.

That's a fair point. But ultimately it made that gym more memorable so I'm ok with it.

Last edited:

jaden767

Amphetamine
This has probably been mentioned to death but Smoliv is basically Budew. It has the exact same shape and both are Grass types. I hope its evolved form looks better and isn't a Roselia clone. :p

Orphalesion

Meme culture.

People love them because LeCHONK and SMOLiv. Notice how Pawmi is not as popular.

Personally I never care for the Pikachu-clone, though Pawmi interests me more than the average one because it looks like it might get an evolution.

Lechonk has an awesome name, but it's design is also very cute and very round and the animations it had in the trailer, and the way it's described on the official page, I would have loved it anyway.

Soliv, yeah, here I feel the appeal is mostly the name right now. But an olive Pokemon is interesting anyways, and I can't wait to see the evolution(s).

Luthor

This has probably been mentioned to death but Smoliv is basically Budew. It has the exact same shape and both are Grass types. I hope its evolved form looks better and isn't a Roselia clone. :p

What I find odd about Smoliv is the normal type more than the grass type. I'm not sure why its got that normal type but hopefully it'll have a lot of type diversity as normal types often have. There's some similarities to Budew but I think they'll develop very differently.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Okay, I can't take this anymore.

I need to see some legit gameplay. I need to see how 'open world' this game really is. I need to see if the black screen transitions are truly gone. I need to see if the game looks better than these trailers. Where's the gameplay!?

Noy

they might be delaying it, because of drip marketing; but, it's also possible they are still polishing a few things, and they want to reveal those at a better quality.

keithpetrosky

Spain themed so maybe regional Taurus, or baby that evolves into tauros or miltank. Possibly a Minotaur pokemon (half bull half human)

I kind of want Missingno to become an actual Pokémon and hear how it came to be.

Last edited:

keithpetrosky

I’ve been hearing discussions on Sprigatito and what people think the final form might look like as far as which plant it represents.
Sprig is a term in horticulture when you snip a cutting off a plant (a stem with leaves) to propagate new plants by cuttings, so that explains the name.

Someone said they think it should turn into a marijuana plant, others think it will look like Catnip plant, or a Dandelion. Either way, speculation is it will have herbal healing powers. If they named an evolution Catnap, grass type gives it ability to make Pokémon fall asleep and drain their energy.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

I’ve been hearing discussions on Sprigatito and what people think the final form might look like as far as which plant it represents.
Sprig is a term in horticulture when you snip a cutting off a plant (a stem with leaves) to propagate new plants by cuttings, so that explains the name.

Someone said they think it should turn into a marijuana plant, others think it will look like Catnip plant, or a Dandelion. Either way, speculation is it will have herbal healing powers. If they named an evolution Catnap, grass type gives it ability to make Pokémon fall asleep and drain their energy.

That's just the English name though. The translated names sometimes have little to do with the Pokemon (neither Bulbasaur, nor its evolution are dinosaurs, and Ivysaur sure doesn't have any ivy or poison ivy in its design)

The Japanese name for Sprigatito just contains the words for "meow" and "leaf" (and the Spanish word for leaf)
And even though the French name does seem to contain the French word for catnip (possibly), it would just be like the English name.

Missingno.Fan

If time travel isa thing in the game, I would love to see regional variants of the fossil Pokémon that are their “original” form. I’m thinking Water/Bug Kabutops, Dragon/Flying (or Dark/Flying) Aerodactyl.

Luthor

If time travel isa thing in the game, I would love to see regional variants of the fossil Pokémon that are their “original” form. I’m thinking Water/Bug Kabutops, Dragon/Flying (or Dark/Flying) Aerodactyl.

I love the idea however there is a slight issue for one of them. We've already seen an original form Aerodactyl. According to the Pokedex Mega Aerodactyl is said to be Aerodactyl's true appearance and Mega evolution restored its genes. Now don't get me wrong I'd be happy to see them retcon this idea (as I'm not a fan of it being the true form) but it does make me skeptical if they would do it. I personally would prefer the idea that mega evolution just impacts the rock type it gets thanks to fossilisation and mega evolution makes the rock type go wild rather than being the origin form but it would be a retcon.

Baggie_Saiyan

Spain themed so maybe regional Taurus, or baby that evolves into tauros or miltank. Possibly a Minotaur pokemon (half bull half human)

I kind of want Missingno to become an actual Pokémon and hear how it came to be.
Please no... we don't need anymore of these terrible dex fillers especially post- Dexit era

Copley Hill Gym

How has there been so little info on the game so far?

Like, we're nearly into July and the release is I think 4 months away now? Mad how we know so little about it.

Julia Artemis

Honestly I liked the hype trailers for Sun and Moon. Maybe they did it a little too much but for the most part it didn't bother me. I really think they should do trailers more frequently but not go too heavily deep on the story. But seeing new pokemon is exciting and don't really see that as spoilers.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Honestly I liked the hype trailers for Sun and Moon. Maybe they did it a little too much but for the most part it didn't bother me. I really think they should do trailers more frequently but not go too heavily deep on the story. But seeing new pokemon is exciting and don't really see that as spoilers.
Exactly
It was really fun getting so much news for sm
Swsh and sv just suck in this department . They sure know how to kill my hype