• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokemon - Discussion/Speculation Thread

scififan21

Honestly I'm not loving that so many of the pokemon in this gen are all one type. I definitely prefer dual type pokemon so hopefully most of them evolve and gain another type.
I think a few of them do but that is according to leaks so I won't spoil it here.

Orphalesion

Honestly I'm not loving that so many of the pokemon in this gen are all one type. I definitely prefer dual type pokemon so hopefully most of them evolve and gain another type.

Really that's something I've noticed about the last couple generations, like from Gen 6 on or so. Waaaay to many mono-types.

Orphalesion

Ya I agree, monotypes for the most part aren't it for me. There are exceptions when there aren't good alternatives like Luxray for example but for the most part there are.

I mean I don't mind the existence of mono-types and have and will continue to use them, but we seem to be getting an awful lot of them in the newer generations, especially with designs that could easily have been dual-types.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
According to leaks, 65 percent of the total gen dex is dual types.

Xanhawk

I'm honestly preferring the mono typing. I feel we've have way too many dual type Pokemon and sometimes it makes it hard to get a team with little to no overlap or balance out a team's weakness with proper coverage when there are so many dual types.

Orphalesion

cough gen 6 cough cough

I still have flashbacks to that because the only bug type in the whole generation was a yet another unimpressive Bug/Flying Butterfly.
They had just introduced the Fairy type. It would have been so easy to make Vivilion a bug/fairy type. But nooooooooooo, that would have been too interesting, we desperately needed a third Bug/Flying Butterfly (fourth if you count Mothim).

raichu27

Nice to finally see a Fire/Grass, Poison/Steel, Normal/Poison and a Electric/Fighting type in it. Been wanting to see those for a long time, especially the Poison/Steel type. Makes an interesting pair, with Steel being immune to it. A Fire/Fairy and a Bug/Dragon type would still be awesome to see, though.

Disappointed with the lack of new Ice Pokemon, though.

MrJechgo

I need to rant... Gen 9's movepools and TM selections downright suck... I don't know if it was to make room for Tera Blast as an alternate Hidden Power, but there are some noticeable omittions, or some Physical Attacker Pokémon learn more Special moves, and vice-versa.
  • Meowscarada cannot learn Rock Tomb. It can learn Power Gem, but as a Special Attack, it's worthless, because Meowscarada is a Physical attacker. It also doesn't learn Zen Headbutt or Psychic Fangs, when it learns Bite. I dunno, that seems like a no-brainer.
  • Skeledirge cannot learn Energy Ball, but can learn Seed Bomb, a Physical move useless for a Special Attacker. It cannot learn Flash Cannon either. It can learn Belch as a Poison move, but it's very situational. It doesn't learn Thunderbolt or any Electric move outside of Thunder Fangs, which is somewhat frequent for Ghost types.
  • Quaquaval can learn Ice Spinner as a Ice Physical move, which is good for Grass and Flying, some Flying moves to counter Fighting types and even U-Turn as a Bug move against Psychic. However, it cannot learn any Ground or Steel moves, like Drill Run or Iron Head. I'm surprised that Steel Wing isn't available either.
  • Pawmot doesn't learn Drain Punch, and this guy can revive a fainted Pokémon with its signature move.
That's just a few...

MrJechgo

A Fire/Fairy and a Bug/Dragon type would still be awesome to see, though.
Dashbun feels like a Fire/Fairy, being a cooked pastry dog ^^; Its ability would have tied to the Fire type even more.

I would have swapped either Paragon Volcanora's forms for Dragon/Bug IMO. Come to think of it, several Dragon-type moves... look and feel like Fire moves, so moving from one to the other would have made sense ;)

Missingno.Fan

This might sound crazy, but I think Gholdengo might be my favorite Gen IX pokemon. It’s so totally radical. I can just picture it skateboarding into a school cafeteria being like “‘Sup dudes? School lunches are lame-o! Try [insert name of ‘90’s junk food here]!”.

ShinyPie

Fruity & Delicious
I need to rant... Gen 9's movepools and TM selections downright suck... I don't know if it was to make room for Tera Blast as an alternate Hidden Power, but there are some noticeable omittions, or some Physical Attacker Pokémon learn more Special moves, and vice-versa.
  • Meowscarada cannot learn Rock Tomb. It can learn Power Gem, but as a Special Attack, it's worthless, because Meowscarada is a Physical attacker. It also doesn't learn Zen Headbutt or Psychic Fangs, when it learns Bite. I dunno, that seems like a no-brainer.
  • Skeledirge cannot learn Energy Ball, but can learn Seed Bomb, a Physical move useless for a Special Attacker. It cannot learn Flash Cannon either. It can learn Belch as a Poison move, but it's very situational. It doesn't learn Thunderbolt or any Electric move outside of Thunder Fangs, which is somewhat frequent for Ghost types.
  • Quaquaval can learn Ice Spinner as a Ice Physical move, which is good for Grass and Flying, some Flying moves to counter Fighting types and even U-Turn as a Bug move against Psychic. However, it cannot learn any Ground or Steel moves, like Drill Run or Iron Head. I'm surprised that Steel Wing isn't available either.
  • Pawmot doesn't learn Drain Punch, and this guy can revive a fainted Pokémon with its signature move.
That's just a few...
Well the best physical Fire move Scovillain gets is Fire Fang...

MrJechgo

Well the best physical Fire move Scovillain gets is Fire Fang...
Scovillain literally has a Base 108 in BOTH Atk and Sp. Atk. It's a mixed attacker, so you can teach it Flamethrower and Energy Ball, or Fire Fang and Seed Bomb.

Pawmot has Iron Fist, and while it can help with Thunder Punch and Ice Punch, the only Fighting punch move is Mach Punch as an egg move.

Here's another: Tinkaton cannot learn Earthquake... It has a HUGE hammer, but cannot shake and fissure the ground with it. It does learn Bulldoze.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Fking BRUH, they gave Baxcalibur Dragon Dance. Where's Dragon Dance for Garchomp already damn it.

Copley Hill Gym

So my team is more or less settled, and from absolutely hating Palafin on seeing it during the leaks, in the actual game the dolphin is a beast and I love it to bits.

Baxcalibur may be one of my all time favourite pokes too.

But the Pokémon in my play through that has been the most useful and - by far - the Pokémon I have loved spending time with the most is Dachsbunn.

That plucky little dog is a brilliant addition to the national dex. What an ability, great typing, mix of moves.

Truly, a good dog.

I named mine after my childhood dog, “Jazz”.

Those who have made it to the end of the game will understand why I have been choked up for three days by the storyline.

Some brilliant writing that ties into that wonderful relationship between us all and man’s best friend.