• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Pokemon - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

ShinyPie

Fruity & Delicious
Scovillain literally has a Base 108 in BOTH Atk and Sp. Atk. It's a mixed attacker, so you can teach it Flamethrower and Energy Ball, or Fire Fang and Seed Bomb.

Pawmot has Iron Fist, and while it can help with Thunder Punch and Ice Punch, the only Fighting punch move is Mach Punch as an egg move.

Here's another: Tinkaton cannot learn Earthquake... It has a HUGE hammer, but cannot shake and fissure the ground with it. It does learn Bulldoze.
Base 108 ain't that great these days. If you went physical you'd have to Terastylise and use Terablast for fire stab, which is a waste. Other option would be to pair with Sun and run Growth. But Fire Fang still isn't great. Fire Lash or a new move would have been nice. Spicy Extract even encourages a physical set.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Aside from the Wugtrio line and Palafin’s Hero Form (neutral on Iron Bundle), I quite liked the Gen 9 Water-types. Only issue the ones I do like (if you did not pick Quaxly) are only available somewhat “late”. The open world nature of the region means you can technically jet ahead to where they are found but there comes the issue of them disobeying you until you have enough of the badges from the Victory Road path.

shadowF

Any good teammates for Skeledirge that are from Gen 9? going to make a team of all gen 9 Pokémon but would like them to compliment Skeledirge as well.

raichu27

Dashbun feels like a Fire/Fairy, being a cooked pastry dog ^^; Its ability would have tied to the Fire type even more.

I would have swapped either Paragon Volcanora's forms for Dragon/Bug IMO. Come to think of it, several Dragon-type moves... look and feel like Fire moves, so moving from one to the other would have made sense ;)
I agree. That would be cool to see.

Flygon would've been awesome for a Bug/Dragon type.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
At first I was dissapointed most Past Paradoxes (outside of Great Tusk and Brute Bonnet) are based not on final stages (one can even make an argument Roaring Moon is a stage between normal and Mega Salamance) but it actually makes sense from the evolutionary perspective. Those Pokemon did not achieve their final stages in the past and after many years found the most optimal forms for themselves with Magneton and Larvesta gaining the ability to fly/float etc.

Similarly Future Paradoxes are based on final forms and evilved from those.

I'm not taking BTS into account here.

My only complain is that Roaring Moon should've been more similar to Shelgon and not Salamance, especially taking into consideration the whole lore of Bagon wanting to fly and Salamance eventually achieving it. I know it might be an unpopular opinion as everyone seems to love Roaring Moon. I also love the design but it contradicts its lore a bit

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
In regards to percentage out of the overall dex, this gen has about the most Pokemon I like right off the bat.

Quaxly
Skellidirge
Pawmo
Kilowattrel
Flamigo
Spidops
Lokix
Cyclizar
Scovillian
Toedscool
Clodsire
Mabosstiff
Dachsbun
Paladean Tauros
Armarouge
Garganacl
Anilihape
Palafin
Cetitan
Baxcalibur

Are all on rotation

Not to mention additional older Pokemon I've been using; Donphan, Tyranitar, Breloom, Ampharos, Lucario, Scizor and Heracross.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
As far as new Pokemon in Gen 9, there aren't as many that I really like as there were in Gen 6, 7 or 8, but there are still a few stand-outs:

- the Sprigatito family. Meowscarada is definitely my new favourite Dark-type now. I just love how the cute grass kitten grows up to be an even cuter goth girlfriend with a signature move that always gets a critical hit and never misses.
- Clodsire. Initially I didn't like Clodsire, and I still don't understand why it had to be it's own unique Pokemon and not a Paldea Quagsire, but it won me over with its bulk and power when I used it as a temporary team member in my first full playthrough, and I plan on including it on my next playthrough team.
- Armarouge. It took a while to get going as Charcadet, but once I got it evolved it was a full-blown powerhouse, and up there as one of my favourite Fire-types. I'm looking forward to using Ceruledge and comparing the two.
- Rabsca. While I haven't used one on a team, I have faced a few in Tera Raids. I like beetles, and Rabsca has a funky concept going on with its floating ball of Psychic dung with an infant growing inside.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Will the Team Star vehicles pokemon be available?

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Probably not. We need more boss-only opponents in this franchise.

Trillion

This might sound crazy, but I think Gholdengo might be my favorite Gen IX pokemon. It’s so totally radical. I can just picture it skateboarding into a school cafeteria being like “‘Sup dudes? School lunches are lame-o! Try [insert name of ‘90’s junk food here]!”.
i love that thing. after thinking i'd seen most, if not all the new pokemon- i was surprised when someone threw one out in my first online tera raid battle. didn't even register that it was a gimmighoul evolution at first. honestly had never even considered that gimmighoul could even evolve

then i saw its pokedex book artwork and was sold

been working on collecting coins so i can get my own

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
- Rabsca. While I haven't used one on a team, I have faced a few in Tera Raids. I like beetles, and Rabsca has a funky concept going on with its floating ball of Psychic dung with an infant growing inside.
Sounds like you're playing the Violet version. The Scarlet version has a different theory: that the ball is its true body, and the bug hanging onto it is its way of interacting with the world.

i love that thing. after thinking i'd seen most, if not all the new pokemon- i was surprised when someone threw one out in my first online tera raid battle. didn't even register that it was a gimmighoul evolution at first. honestly had never even considered that gimmighoul could even evolve

then i saw its pokedex book artwork and was sold

been working on collecting coins so i can get my own
You might be pleased to know that when Gholdengo follows you around in the overworld, it travels via a SKATEBOARD. I found it hilarious when I discovered this!

it can even keep up with Koraidon/Miraidon!

Baggie_Saiyan

I am confused what the point of the convergent species are? I initially thought they would have different BST but they're the same so why can't they be forms? Unless it's like baby Pokemon that they exist purely for lore/ dex filler?

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
I am confused what the point of the convergent species are? I initially thought they would have different BST but they're the same so why can't they be forms? Unless it's like baby Pokemon that they exist purely for lore/ dex filler?
So we can have a funny running tentacool

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think that one of GF's goals for this game was to get to 1000 unique species of Pokemon, so they just reskinned some old ones and called it a day.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think that one of GF's goals for this game was to get to 1000 unique species of Pokemon, so they just reskinned some old ones and called it a day.
I actually don’t mind the convergent Pokémon. The Paradox Pokémon are sort of convergent species themselves as they aren’t exactly like their normal relatives and all have traits different than their usual species. Plusle and Minun are virtually the same Pokémon looks wise with only their tails, cheeks, and accent colors being different. Emolga is just a Pachirusu that has different colors and can glide through the air. Alolamola looks extremely similar to Luvdisc to the point that everyone had thought it was a possible evolution for it before BW were released. Even the Nidoran lines are somewhat convergent even if they are the earliest example of gendered Pokémon and differences and gender based evolutions. Pokémon having very similar characteristics to other species have been a thing for years.